Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...e/news-story/e09267ca31d326735fcdfcd16304df2c
6F9C1AC6-633E-4CB8-BEB8-24B5A6D2E1BB.jpeg

Harlott

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Does anyone know if he has been a reasonably large accumulator possession wise prior to being drafted? So far what has struck me is his all round game. His kicking, goal sense, marking, tackling, pressuring, backs into packs. blistering speed, temperament. I heard Pa Cornes say on the radio the other night that he spoke to someone at the club that told him this guy is the best talent they've seen taken from the draft at Alberton.

HHHAMMERtime

All Australian
Oct 24, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Does anyone know if he has been a reasonably large accumulator possession wise prior to being drafted? So far what has struck me is his all round game. His kicking, goal sense, marking, tackling, pressuring, backs into packs. blistering speed, temperament. I heard Pa Cornes say on the radio the other night that he spoke to someone at the club that told him this guy is the best talent they've seen taken from the draft at Alberton.
As an under 16 he was best player at the champs playing as a mid, he hasn’t played mid since then. But 3 years ago, accumulation was not a problem for him. I think his versatility, not his ability to stay in the centre for under 18 carnival is what caused him to move away from there.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No pressure

He could become a great player. But comparing him to Fyfe? The thing that makes players like Fyfe and Cripps so good, is that they are tall - 192cm & 195cm respectively. So when you get a tall player with the athletic ability of a much smaller player, they become incrementally more dangerous. They are athletic, fast, mobile, yet with much greater reach, leap, and weight. Add to that elite skills, and you have an unassailable weapon!

Rozee is only 185cm tall. Still a good height, but needs to be compared with players of a similar build and style. Early signs are good that he, along with Butters & Duursma, are going to be real gems!

Last edited:

crafty_bernardo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I would be a bit more comfortable with such comparisons but our development of kids is pretty poor.

Ollie Wines for example looked like to be the next elite mid of the competition after his first year. But has now stagnated with a poor kick, his goal kicking has become unreliable and dismal at times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kiss from a Rozee

Goddess
Bring Back the Bars
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Imagine having to the choice of Rozee, Rankine, Lukosius or Max King and taking Sam Walsh half an hour before trading out another potential pick one.

I mean I know this is the exact problem with hindsight calls, Walsh probably won’t be the best of that group but he absolutely won’t be the worst.

Yet I still just can’t understand passing on Lukosius. It’s as though Carlton believe injecting Walsh and Stocker into their squad is going to launch them into finals or something.

Probably should’ve just gone the Essendon route if they wanted it so bad.

I don’t even know why I’m so mad about it all. I guess I’m just insanely jealous of clubs that actually get to have top 2 picks instead of having them given to expansion clubs. campaigners

Back