Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Still some ways to go as he's still a kid but so far he has shown high level skills in all areas one can think of bar KPF and ruck. Will be a gem.

Chad's not slow but he's never had the blistering pace that Rozee has
The thing about Chad in his last two seasons with us, is that he could not separate from his opposition defenders as effectively as he could early in his career. Some of this was closer checking, a lot was his preference for playing from behind his opponent (an affliction of most of our forwards in 2018), but some was also that lack of explosive pace. Rozee has this. It also enables Rozee to chase down defenders and apply implied pressure. As long as he maintains a professional and elite attitude to his football (including staying away from tattooists), he is going to be a ripper to watch.

Dermie today said something that I'd been thinking about. People probably don't realise how hard it is to do what he did last night with having the balls to bounce at full throttle on a wet deck and calmly slot the goal whilst having an opponent in his back pocket.
The kid has some real after burners that's for sure.

Rozee is a gun! I loved the footage of Rozee sneaking up to the WC huddle and his goal was :fire:

I knew Rozee was quick (2nd fastest 20m in the combine) but it's great to see that his speed translates to the field. Some players run quick times in the combine but their speed isn't translated to the field and when watching them play football they don't look nearly as fast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spud delist.

Yep but he has a golden pass... cant ruck to save himself but keeps getting games :mad::mad::mad:

But on a serious note - going back to the Wingard talk, Rozee is currently smashing Wingard in all aspects of stats for their first season... although Rozee is only 5 games in, and is likely to have some quiet games and the stats may come back to be more even... he has started very very very very well!

No more comparisons to Wingard please.

Wingard was a gem and will continue being a well above average footballer. Even his down years were above average.

Rozee's ceiling is potentially even higher than Wingard's if he keeps developing, but their styles are significantly different.

No more comparisons to Wingard please.

Wingard was a gem and will continue being a well above average footballer. Even his down years were above average.

Rozee's ceiling is potentially even higher than Wingard's if he keeps developing, but their styles are significantly different.
Wingard will get 6 today, I’m predicting. His 150th on the big stage. He will be very pumped.

Yep but he has a golden pass... cant ruck to save himself but keeps getting games :mad::mad::mad:

But on a serious note - going back to the Wingard talk, Rozee is currently smashing Wingard in all aspects of stats for their first season... although Rozee is only 5 games in, and is likely to have some quiet games and the stats may come back to be more even... he has started very very very very well!

Genuinely Laughing out loud (LOL) at this.5 games is a ridiculous sample size to compare any two footballers. Additionally it is a team sport so to some degree, especially as a forward, the team you are in will influence how you look as a player. The 2012 Port Adelaide is a significantly different lineup to the 2019 one.

However I am impressed by his pace and evasive skills so early on. I'd heard he was quick, but gee he is going to embarrass some opponents over his career. Also with his finishing skills there is a lot to get excited about. I can't help but think of another young magpies player Andy McCloud. Maybe not as pacy.

Only 2019 matters when comparing the two. Rozee is having a better year.

Wingard will get 6 today, I’m predicting. His 150th on the big stage. He will be very pumped.
No doubt Wingard can be a match winner.
He has shown that both as a forward and as a midfielder.

Rozee's looks as if he could also end up as a match winner. For mine the difference is that Rozee's looks as if he has the type of game that could also end up having a big say in saving matches if needed.
Time will tell.

Rozee's looks as if he could also end up as a match winner. For mine the difference is that Rozee's looks as if he has the type of game that could also end up having a big say in saving matches if needed.
Time will tell.
I am hoping this proves to be true.

Time will tell.
"No more comparisons to Wingard please." ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back