Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone hear Andy Maher’s mini editorial on Rozee this afternoon? Went something like this....

“I tell ya, Connor Rozee is a hell of a young player and he’s fantastic to watch, but I reckon he knows he’s fantastic to watch.
Doesn’t mind gettin’ in the face of an opponent, ruffling their hair, clapping in their face, but he might wanna dial it back a little bit. Reckon there might be a few bigger half back’s in the league who are taking notice and might knock him back a peg or two.....”

Yes, this is the same Andy Maher who bemoans the characters being officiated out of the game and pines for the old days.

Why are we not allowed to have any slightly uppity players? Tredrea chastised for the bow, Chad Cornes for arragance, Chad Wingard for nearly everything he did in a Port jumper, and now Rozee. Had Hawthorn drafted this guy he’d be celebrated as the games poster child.

Nothing Connor Rozee has done could really be described as much more that cheeky or scallywaggery at worst.
So freakin true. F### em. Play with swagger boys. No egg on your face when you walk the walk and show the courage at contests like all of them are doing.

Burton would have been my winner in 2017, followed by Powell-Pepper. However, It is a panel that selects the rising star. The panel is comprised of 9 people all of whom come from different backgrounds, are employed by different organisations/media outlets, support different clubs and do come from different states. The majority of footy fans in Victoria hate Essendon or Carlton or whoever. But yep, lets keep propagating the same tired pissweak rants that it's all a conspiracy against us and it's not fair and it's all "Gill-the-dill" and Clarkson coffees and free kick Bulldogs....

In any case Rozee's ability, poise, attitude and athleticism is a joy to watch. Will be interesting to see where he develops over the years, the natural tendency to try bulk him up to play midfield might not necessary be the optimal solution.

Burton would have been my winner in 2017, followed by Powell-Pepper. However, It is a panel that selects the rising star. The panel is comprised of 9 people all of whom come from different backgrounds, are employed by different organisations/media outlets, support different clubs and do come from different states. The majority of footy fans in Victoria hate Essendon or Carlton or whoever. But yep, lets keep propagating the same tired pissweak rants that it's all a conspiracy against us and it's not fair and it's all "Gill-the-dill" and Clarkson coffees and free kick Bulldogs....

In any case Rozee's ability, poise, attitude and athleticism is a joy to watch. Will be interesting to see where he develops over the years, the natural tendency to try bulk him up to play midfield might not necessary be the optimal solution.
Agree. There are enough actual conspirators against us that we don't need to undermine the cause by inventing more.

Rozee is second in our goal kicking list this year with 9, one behind Ebert. There's a fair chance he could be our leading goal kicker by the end of the season.

Tredrea topped that list with 33 goals in 1998. That was his second year but he only played one game in his debut season a year earlier.

If Rozee tops the goal scorers it'll be the first time a junior picked by Port in the draft has achieved that feat in their first year.

I thought Rozee looked the most raw of our draftees after his first two games, seemed to be oozing talent but probably needed some time to build into the AFL environment. Boy oh boy was I wrong. Already looking a 100-game player. Same with Duursma, Drew and Butters. After Round 2 I probably had our fab-four ranked as Butters, Drew, Duursma, Rozee - but now it's Rozee, Duursma, Drew, Butters. And Butters hasn't even gone backwards, the others have just risen to the top.

What an outstanding draft. I hope these guys end up playing together for the next 10+ years.

I thought Rozee looked the most raw of our draftees after his first two games, seemed to be oozing talent but probably needed some time to build into the AFL environment. Boy oh boy was I wrong. Already looking a 100-game player. Same with Duursma, Drew and Butters. After Round 2 I probably had our fab-four ranked as Butters, Drew, Duursma, Rozee - but now it's Rozee, Duursma, Drew, Butters. And Butters hasn't even gone backwards, the others have just risen to the top.

What an outstanding draft. I hope these guys end up playing together for the next 10+ years.
I feel like this weekend might be Butters' turn to sneak under the guard.

With S Gray in form and all the focus on Rosee and Duursma he could just kick 4 or 5

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

I feel like this weekend might be Butters' turn to sneak under the guard.

With S Gray in form and all the focus on Rosee and Duursma he could just kick 4 or 5

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app
He's doing his best work a bit higher up the ground at the moment. While it would be great for him to snare another goal, I'd say a great return from him this weekend will be something like 24 touches including a bunch of inside 50s and score assists. His speed and evasiveness on the Marvel Stadium deck should be a game breaker if he fires up.

I assumed someone would say this. Like I said Rozee is a gun, but Walsh is breaking records and is playing with the composure of someone 10 years older.

So was Ollie Wines.

Unless Walsh drops away dramatically, he will win the award and deserve to win the award.

I think it's important to realise that the rising star isn't an award based on potential, it's an award based on performance within that season. Rozee looks to have superior potential as a player but Walsh just looks like a 200 game, solid as a rock midfielder already.

The only way Rozee goes close is if he pulls out 3-4 more performances like the Brisbane one to really put his name up in lights.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless Walsh drops away dramatically, he will win the award and deserve to win the award.

I think it's important to realise that the rising star isn't an award based on potential, it's an award based on performance within that season. Rozee looks to have superior potential as a player but Walsh just looks like a 200 game, solid as a rock midfielder already.

The only way Rozee goes close is if he pulls out 3-4 more performances like the Brisbane one to really put his name up in lights.
Rozee is currently tracking to have a very similar but slightly more consistent season than Stephenson last year, and I'm not sure that if Walsh was against Stephenson last year for the RS that the debate would be as clear cut as some are making it.

As I and others have said, Rozee probably needs to bag 30+ goals to beat Walsh (assuming sustained output).

Then it isn't a RISING star.

We are only just over a quarter of the way through the season, still a lot to play out but Rozee is definitely in the mix. Calling the winner now is way too premature.

Rising star is just a fancier way to say Best First Year Player.
Yes it is, but it should just be called Rookie of the Year or something as it is misleading.

Connor is a superb player that appears to be very team orientated. I am sure he would take being a future premiership player than being the 2019 Rising star.

Walsh is outstanding in a side that has very few seasoned players. Had he been picked up by a higher quality club he would be still be shining but not to the extent he currently is. Carlton is not heading up the AFL ladder anytime soon so they will continue to get high draft picks.

I assumed someone would say this. Like I said Rozee is a gun, but Walsh is breaking records and is playing with the composure of someone 10 years older.

Which records is he breaking? It's a genuine request. I don't know.

Rozee is doing things that few other players could ever dream of doing, whatever their maturity level. Sometimes that counts for more, sometimes it doesn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back