Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wargreymon90

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Walsh is the most natural ball winner for an 18 year old ever. He would be a worthy winner.

What would make it interesting is if rozee kicked close to 40 goals this year.

Consistency will be rozee biggest challenge

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Who will be the Rising Star is so meh. Who will be a Premiership player is the only question worth asking.

It is kind of a blah moment. Kind of like having the most well executed first disposal award.

For every rising star you could count at least 5 players on average from that year that have gone on to have more decorated careers.

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I assumed someone would say this. Like I said Rozee is a gun, but Walsh is breaking records and is playing with the composure of someone 10 years older.

Which records is he breaking? It's a genuine request. I don't know.
EDIT: Ok, most disposals in first six games. Which may just mean he also has the record of the most handball receives in a players first six games coz everyone else at Carlton is too scared to do anything but give a cheap handball to the number one draft pick.

Rozee is doing things that few other players could ever dream of doing, whatever their maturity level. Sometimes that counts for more, sometimes it doesn't.
Not a lot of fans came to the football just because Greg Williams was playing. Plenty came because Kouta was. Whether the judges will choose Williams or Kouta for a rising star award remains to be seen (that's a loose analogy put in a context which hopefully our friend can understand).

cfc4life

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Which records is he breaking? It's a genuine request. I don't know.
EDIT: Ok, most disposals in first six games. Which may just mean he also has the record of the most handball receives in a players first six games coz everyone else at Carlton is too scared to do anything but give a cheap handball to the number one draft pick.

Rozee is doing things that few other players could ever dream of doing, whatever their maturity level. Sometimes that counts for more, sometimes it doesn't.
Not a lot of fans came to the football just because Greg Williams was playing. Plenty came because Kouta was. Whether the judges will choose Williams or Kouta for a rising star award remains to be seen (that's a loose analogy put in a context which hopefully our friend can understand).

You've clearly not watched much of us this year if you think Walsh is getting cheapies all game. Like I said, Rozee is a spectacular talent but I think it would take a lot to beat Walsh is he keeps up this consistency.

gbear

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 27, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
You've clearly not watched much of us this year if you think Walsh is getting cheapies all game. Like I said, Rozee is a spectacular talent but I think it would take a lot to beat Walsh is he keeps up this consistency.

Carlton do not play an exciting brand of footy, so it is highly likely that many people on this board have watched minimal minutes of any other game Carlton has played this season, besides the round 2 game. You are deluded if you think Walsh is going to fix the many issues that continue to exist at Carlton.

Success this season for Carlton would be to ensure that you do not hand the flogs down the road the number 1 draft pick!

cfc4life

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton do not play an exciting brand of footy, so it is highly likely that many people on this board have watched minimal minutes of any other game Carlton has played this season, besides the round 2 game. You are deluded if you think Walsh is going to fix the many issues that continue to exist at Carlton.

Success this season for Carlton would be to ensure that you do not hand the flogs down the road the number 1 draft pick!

Where did I ever mention that Walsh was the only answer to us moving up the ladder? And I would point to the Dogs game and the majority of the Hawks game as evidence that we can be exciting when confidence is up and the game plan is clicking.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Unless Walsh drops away dramatically, he will win the award and deserve to win the award.

I think it's important to realise that the rising star isn't an award based on potential, it's an award based on performance within that season. Rozee looks to have superior potential as a player but Walsh just looks like a 200 game, solid as a rock midfielder already.

The only way Rozee goes close is if he pulls out 3-4 more performances like the Brisbane one to really put his name up in lights.

That's the argument though. There's nothing to say that Rozee doesn't have more outstanding performances still in him. Some just seem resigned to the fact that Walsh has it in the bag.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Much as it's fun to make fun of Carlton, they need players like Walsh AND Rozee. Walsh is not there for the X-factor bringing people through the gate or winning games off his own boot.

Walsh is there to help Carlton put in a minimum decent standard in the midfield every game, raising the floor of their worst performances (for now, later on they hope he'll be helping good wins). I see him as what I thought Rockliff would do for us (and is in 2019 now fully fit), where his consistent good numbers will stop Carlton getting smashed out of the centre and going down by 60+. Carlton have had only the one 30+ loss this year and that only just over 30 points. Port fans after 2015-2018 are understandably less than impressed by close losses, but when you've been smashed repeatedly year on year, then Carlton and their fans would be taking what Walsh is helping bring to the table with minimising those this year.

Both are going to be great players. With SPP, Wines, Drew, Butters, Duursma (and maybe Atley) we could afford to go X-Factor first and may have even if Walsh was available at our pick. Carlton's (not nearing retirement or just plain s**t) midfield is Cripps and not much else, so Walsh was the right pick for them.

gbear

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 27, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Much as it's fun to make fun of Carlton, they need players like Walsh AND Rozee. Walsh is not there for the X-factor bringing people through the gate or winning games off his own boot.

Walsh is there to help Carlton put in a minimum decent standard in the midfield every game, raising the floor of their worst performances (for now, later on they hope he'll be helping good wins). I see him as what I thought Rockliff would do for us (and is in 2019 now fully fit), where his consistent good numbers will stop Carlton getting smashed out of the centre and going down by 60+. Carlton have had only the one 30+ loss this year and that only just over 30 points. Port fans after 2015-2018 are understandably less than impressed by close losses, but when you've been smashed repeatedly year on year, then Carlton and their fans would be taking what Walsh is helping bring to the table with minimising those this year.

Both are going to be great players. With SPP, Wines, Drew, Butters, Duursma (and maybe Atley) we could afford to go X-Factor first and may have even if Walsh was available at our pick. Carlton's (not nearing retirement or just plain ****) midfield is Cripps and not much else, so Walsh was the right pick for them.

I definitely agree Walsh was the right pick for Carlton. He is showing that he is a great fit for them.

However my main point is that he may not be having such high possession games at this point of his career in other sides. It is easier to stand out in a team that has a smaller pool of talent. This is why at this point in time it looks likely that he will take out the rising star for 2019. Just my opinion though.

I definitely agree Walsh was the right pick for Carlton. He is showing that he is a great fit for them.

However my main point is that he may not be having such high possession games at this point of his career in other sides. It is easier to stand out in a team that has a smaller pool of talent. This is why at this point in time it looks likely that he will take out the rising star for 2019. Just my opinion though.
Sure, but it's equally easy to say that it's easier to play in the midfield when you've got experienced senior quality players around you. Pretty sure this way of thinking permeates some of the Travis Boak v Joel Selwood comparisons around here.

Overall just shows each player's performance has a host of circumstances surrounding them, and it can be difficult to say how they might be performing in different teams and with different roles (or with all things being even; and what is even?)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bacharach

Club Legend
Oct 29, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We're just lucky that Rozee was in the same draft as so many other good players...Walsh...Rankine and Luko, otherwise we wouldn't have had a hope in hell of getting him.
We just need our man to keep playing like he is and make our team better. His reward will come but it may not be the RS.

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Both guns you can't deny walsh has been amazing so far as has rozee but i have a financial bias towards rozee as i did spp lol.

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

You're right. I watch Carlton as little as *. They have been depressing as * for the best part of 20 years. How you and Essendon Bummer supporters aren't searching for something sharp instead is beyond me tbh.

Seriously, I was posing the hypothetical that Walsh gets a lot of cheap possessions because your other players who are mostly suffering from PTSD look to the new no 1 draft pick midfielder who wants the ball. I apologise if that is not the case.

I am also putting forward the argument that high-skill classy acts may stick in the judges minds more than 10 run-of-the-mill midfielder possessions. However it may not. Guess we might find out.

Last edited:

jakey

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Anyone hear Andy Maher’s mini editorial on Rozee this afternoon? Went something like this....

“I tell ya, Connor Rozee is a hell of a young player and he’s fantastic to watch, but I reckon he knows he’s fantastic to watch.
Doesn’t mind gettin’ in the face of an opponent, ruffling their hair, clapping in their face, but he might wanna dial it back a little bit. Reckon there might be a few bigger half back’s in the league who are taking notice and might knock him back a peg or two.....”

Yes, this is the same Andy Maher who bemoans the characters being officiated out of the game and pines for the old days.

Why are we not allowed to have any slightly uppity players? Tredrea chastised for the bow, Chad Cornes for arragance, Chad Wingard for nearly everything he did in a Port jumper, and now Rozee. Had Hawthorn drafted this guy he’d be celebrated as the games poster child.

Nothing Connor Rozee has done could really be described as much more that cheeky or scallywaggery at worst.
It's cos they've all got us pegged a small club. Can't be getting above their station. * that. Here's hoping Chad, Zak and Xavier keep the swagger. * Kochie, I want to be everyone else's least favourite team. * the little old port Adelaide schtick. * not having the nuts to close out close games. I want to feel the hate flow through them. I want to see more dickheads complaining about arrogance from us. Let em try and knock us down a peg or two, it'll mean we've climbed a couple. Bring it on.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You're right. I watch Carlton as little as ****. They have been depressing as **** for the best part of 20 years. How you and Essendon Bummer supporters aren't searching for something sharp instead is beyond me tbh.

Seriously, I was posing the hypothetical that Walsh gets a lot of cheap possessions because your other players who are mostly suffering from PTSD look to the new no 1 draft pick midfielder who wants the ball. I apologise if that is not the case.

I am also putting forward the argument that high-skill classy acts may stick in the judges minds more than 10 run-of-the-mill midfielder possessions. However it may not. Guess we might find out.

Significantly undervaluing what Walsh is doing, has seamlessly stepped in and performing as a senior midfielder. He's certainly no stat rat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back