Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

I seem to remember Darren Mead was our fastest player over that kind of distance on our inaugural list. It’s a big difference between that and the 5-10 metre burst pace you see in games from players you think of as really fast.

Rozee seems to have both though.

Matty Bishop was our quickest player through that 01-05 era

Rozee still the best performing rising star nominee, Walsh now 3rd. Miers the new nominee and straight into 2nd.
Did you notice on the replay that Rozee just bombed the ball into the 50 without looking for a Port player ... went straight to a crows player who was about 10 meters away from any other player geez.
Hope he sorts this out in future.

Did you notice on the replay that Rozee just bombed the ball into the 50 without looking for a Port player ... went straight to a crows player who was about 10 meters away from any other player geez.
Hope he sorts this out in future.
Sounds like he was just adhering to Ken's game plan - isn't that what all our players do kicking inside the forward 50 in every showdown against the crows under Ken?

Last edited:
I don’t think Rozee will win the rising star. I think Walsh probably deserves it more at this stage.

But Rozee is a star. Best thing we did (at the moment, who knows in the future) was getting ride of Wingard. I know we used Polec pick, but if I had to pick Rozee or Wingard right now I would pick Rozee every day

He's a one grabber, those sort of players are invaluable and to think he is performing like this in a position that is foreign to him.

I cant wait till he is cruising though the midfield or off half back.

He's wanganeenesque the way he moves, low centre of gravity, never loses his feet.

He has the makings to be an all time great of this club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard some talk on SEN about the rookie of the year and the 2 guests justified Walsh ahead of Rozee because he played in middle and its a harder position than HF. Pity the same argument was used when SPP was competing against 2 seagul HBFers in 2017.

I heard some talk on SEN about the rookie of the year and the 2 guests justified Walsh ahead of Rozee because he played in middle and its a harder position than HF. Pity the same argument was used when SPP was competing against 2 seagul HBFers in 2017.
But isn’t it easier to stack up positions in the midfield?

Rozee is averaging 8.2 contested possessions a game from 16.3 disposals. That’s more than 50% of his total possessions.

I don’t think Walsh should win it personally. He’s done nothing to improve his side from last year. They are still rubbish.

Rozee is averaging 8.2 contested possessions a game from 16.3 disposals. That’s more than 50% of his total possessions.

I don’t think Walsh should win it personally. He’s done nothing to improve his side from last year. They are still rubbish.
Harsh criteria. An area largely out of the player's control. Have we improved this year? I hope so, otherwise Rozee has no chance.

If Rozee kicks another bag he is way ahead of Walsh.

Walsh has been great, but Rozee has almost been in All Australian form at times.

I think Janus is right that the impact on their side matters. Walsh is easily replaced in Carlton’s side without much problem.

Rozee for us would be a pretty devastating injury.

Rozee is playing a harder position in a better side and having more impact. He was named in the AFL(Jurnos) state of origin side that was on the AFL website.

Nothing against Walsh, but can't go past Rozee.

That said i expect Walsh will be given it for reasons that could be applied to SPP when they gave it to McGrath.

Rozee still paying $7 for online betting. Surely that will drop below $3 soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back