Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Kiss from a Rozee

Goddess
Bring Back the Bars
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If Rozee kicked 15 goals in the next three weeks I still doubt he’d get the award.

He is behind Walsh for sure right now, but a big three weeks heading into September and he’d go ahead IMO.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Walsh has been seriously consistent throughout the year. Whereas Rozee has had down periods where he didnt do much ... that being said, most pundits have him as their preferred player. Certainly is mine!

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Walsh is the best first year player in probably the era since dawn of the draft. You can’t really say Rozee should win it without losing credibility.

Can debate who will be better all day long though and if history is anything to go by another player out of that draft will trump them both in the years to come.

Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers, Anaheim Ducks, LA Rams
Walsh is the best first year player in probably the era since dawn of the draft. You can’t really say Rozee should win it without losing credibility.

Can debate who will be better all day long though and if history is anything to go by another player out of that draft will trump them both in the years to come.
Hopefully Duursma and Butters.

I did a quick coaches votes tally. Walsh on 26, Rozee on 24. That’s basically white noise.

I’m just thankful we picked Rozee - who cares who wins the award.

Mar 10, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Nowhere near it. If you are basing that purely on disposal stats there is Toby Greene (av. 28 disposals).

Nothing will beat Selwoods debut year. By the second half of the season he was probably directing his teammates on the field.
Then basically became a legit star of the comp from year 2 onwards (19 votes in the 'what do the umpires rekon' award).

Walsh is just a good runner who is ball-hungry. He has a lot of maturing to do as a player still.

Port83

Debutant
Apr 19, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Interesting to hear young Conner mention in a roving Damo interview he doesn’t watch much other games of footy. Let’s hope he not into fortnite like that other bloke everyone compared to Wanganeen. Also ‘roving Damo’ 🤣

Walsh has clearly had the better season and is the most deserving rising star recipient in years, he's received coaches votes something like 8 times. Andrew Mcgrath he aint.

Connor has shown flashes through the year which are becoming more and more frequent, if he was hitting this kind of form every week he'd be AA let alone Rising Star.

Kane's opinion will come across as a troll but he's 100% right, if the draft is done again he's taken #1 every time.

If the draft was redone and Rozee is the #1 pick, surely that also makes him a worthy rising star winner.

Walsh’s consistency pales in comparison to Rozee’s forward craft, which is arguably a harder position to play in 2019 AFL.

If the draft was redone and Rozee is the #1 pick, surely that also makes him a worthy rising star winner.
No because the Rising Star award needs to judge on first year output, not potential. I see your point but if you go down that route you start rewarding players for potential, which is too subjective.

No because the Rising Star award needs to judge on first year output, not potential. I see your point but if you go down that route you start rewarding players for potential, which is too subjective.

AFL Player Ratings has Rozee as being more impactful than Walsh this year. Arguably, that means that Rozee has had higher first year output.

Powerage

Absurd Caricature
Aug 14, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Walsh has been seriously consistent throughout the year. Whereas Rozee has had down periods where he didnt do much ... that being said, most pundits have him as their preferred player. Certainly is mine!

Hard to be consistently good as an inexperienced small forward. Especially in our forward line. If Rozee had been played across half back I would suggest he would have won the Rising Star by a country mile.

AFL Player Ratings has Rozee as being more impactful than Walsh this year. Arguably, that means that Rozee has had higher first year output.
That would be valid as it's based on performance then.

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Nathan Krakouer Player Sponsor 2015 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Got to love random stats like that, that's why i love bigfooty
Yeah St Kilda should have drafted Hodge instead of Riewoldt. :D

Back