Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Commentators have said that this kid had a year that was only second to Judd’s first year.

I say that must mean he’s going to be better than Judd, because Judd didn’t have to deal with the amount of pressure from team defence that Rozee has to.

Commentators have said that this kid had a year that was only second to Judd’s first year.

I say that must mean he’s going to be better than Judd, because Judd didn’t have to deal with the amount of pressure from team defence that Rozee has to.

2003 was Judd's second year. I was at the Gabba mid season for that game against the Lions where he kicked 5 goals before half time and, 3 of them were right in front of me in the 2nd quarter, 2 of them where he made the Kray brothers, sorry the Scott brothers, look absolutely stupid. I can still visualize those 2 goals almost 17 years later. WCE beat the then dual premiers by 10 or 11 goals.

If Connor does that this year, I will join your bandwagon Janus. The one thing that he has as good as Judd is that fantastic acceleration, to leave his opponents in his wake. I'm not sure if Connor has as good a side step as Judd, but he is almost impossible to catch like Judd was.

Last edited:
2003 was Judd's second year. I was at the Gabba mid season for that game against the Lions where he kicked 5 goals before half time and, 3 of them were right in front of me in the 2nd quarter, 2 of them where he made the Cray brothers, sorry the Scott brothers, look absolutely stupid. I can still visualize those 2 goals almost 17 years later. WCE beat the then dual premiers by 10 or 11 goals.

If Connor does that this year, I will join your bandwagon Janus. The one thing that he has as good as Judd is that fantastic acceleration, to leave his opponents in his wake. I'm not sure if Connor has as good a side step as Judd, but he is almost impossible to catch like Judd was.
Judd was also great overhead like Rozee, before he ruined his shoulders.

2003 was Judd's second year. I was at the Gabba mid season for that game against the Lions where he kicked 5 goals before half time and, 3 of them were right in front of me in the 2nd quarter, 2 of them where he made the Cray brothers, sorry the Scott brothers, look absolutely stupid. I can still visualize those 2 goals almost 17 years later. WCE beat the then dual premiers by 10 or 11 goals.

Love the Cray brothers 'slip'. Remember this?

Would love to see Rozee steal a Brownlow from a West Coast MVPCA. That would be nice Kharma.

I think Rozee will have to work on his eye-gouging technique before a really fair comparison can be made between the two.

Love the Cray brothers 'slip'. Remember this?

Would love to see Rozee steal a Brownlow from a West Coast MVPCA. That would be nice Kharma.

I think Rozee will have to work on his eye-gouging technique before a really fair comparison can be made between the two.

Goddard looks like Roosevelt Franklin from Sesame Street.

Few interesting stats re Connor Rozee against Gold Coast ..

Spent 51% time in Midfield, 49% Forward

Equal-First Champion Data ranking points, 125, with Travis Boak .... Career High

21 Disposals, including 10 contested, 8 score involvements, 8 inside 50s, 380m gained, and kicked a goal

Disposal efficiency, elite, 81%

And this being the start of his second year at Port.

A few have said it before. Connor is going to be a bloody star player for Port.
And you can see why the Club did a lot of wheeling and dealing, ( if I can use that term) to get Rozee at pick 5.

They knew, and hoped, how he was going to turn out as a player ...... :D

Last edited:
Few interesting stats re Connor Rozee against Gold Coast ..

Spent 51% time in Midfield, 49% Forward

Equal-First Champion Data ranking points, 125, with Travis Boak .... Career High

21 Disposals, including 10 contested, 8 score involvements, 8 inside 50s, 380m gained, and kicked a goal

Disposal efficiency, elite, 81%

And this being the start of his second year at Port.

A few have said it before. Connor is going to be a bloody star player for Port.
And you can see why the Club did a lot of wheeling and dealing, ( if I can use that term) to get Rozee at pick 5.

They knew, and hoped, how he was going to turn out as a player ...... :D

To be fair it is hard to compare him to talls like Lukoscious or the Kings at this stage, or the injury plagued Rankine. But he sure seems to have the right attitude, and all the right moves. Pace, skill and competitive at the contested ball. Already he is one of those players you wish you had more than one of like RGray.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Early days but how does he compare to Buckley at a similar age?

Is there a better comparison?
I still think Wanganeen is the best comparison.

Won the Brownlow in his 3rd year at 20 years old.

Big shoes to fill but he has moved to the middle sooner.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

I still think Wanganeen is the best comparison.

Won the Brownlow in his 3rd year at 20 years old.

Big shoes to fill but he has moved to the middle sooner.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

I see Wangas as the rubber man, great over head for his size but his speed to make a contest, get to the ball, spoil etc

Where buckley had wonderfully clean skills, ability to play inside or out. Buckley was a great height and build though being able to move forward and destroy a tagger.

Rozee has his own attributes but I see a lot of buckley when he plays though the middle

Wanganeen could be play anywhere in a way very few could or can.

Was a genuine defender.
Was a genuine forward.
Could play midfield too but probably his weakest of all the areas.

I actually think Houston is a better comparison to Wanganeen but he could become better in the middle.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

The last time I heard that a player had a first year like Judd was with Wines
Wines is a totally different kind of player. His comparison at the time was more of first year Joel Selwood.

Rozee's lateral movement and acceleration is absolutely a Juddesque

I'll add abit off Shaun burger the way he moved in his early days.
What we can all agree on is getting this young lad is so exciting the sky is the limit for young Connor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back