List Mgmt. Pick #5 - Welcome Adam Cerra [Traded to Carlton for 6 & F3]

Which brand of spud do we end up with (not if you want them or not)

• SPS

• Fisher

• Carroll

• Newnes

• Dow

• Nada

• Brackets McSpuddin

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Did.not.look.happy

Neither did McCluggage last year, but that quickly changes once they're at the club.

Of course you never know where you're going to land going into the draft night, but probably thought he was a strong chance to go to a Victorian club at 3 or 4.

Plus, it's far different for prospects who know they'll be drafted, as opposed to guys who don't play in the championships and spend draft night hoping any club will give them a shot.

Last edited:

Well, I never saw 'it' from the few clips prior to the draft. I was a UDL man, now I'm Cerra all the way.
He'll (hopefully) love the new facilities and Fyfe's tutalage.
There was reference to Simon Black in amongst the chat tonight, fingers crossed !!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the experts in the know and people that watch the kids play regularly (Knightmare, Bishop) say Cerra could/would have gone one if it wasn't for injuries, so realistically he may actually be a steal. Happy with Cerra.

Injuries affecting draft position, Judd 2001 with "dicky" shoulder.

Cerra can play, he will put his head down and before we know it, will be thinking of the "virgin dog" as a very close mate.

Quite like him as a player, good, classy kick which we need more of. The go-home factor definitely worries me though. Hoping I'm wrong but I could easily see him leaving 4-5 years down the track.
Maybe, but by then a 23 year old triple premiership Norm Smith medal winning player will be worth about 3 first round picks.

You guys might find this interesting.

Appreciate you posting this but not sure what you're inferring. You posted this on your board saying "Ross looks disappointed" when he literally confirms we would've taken Cerra first over LDU.

Couldn't lose with the top 5 picks this year, I've enjoyed reading the North board who think they've 'stolen' LDU from us, sounds like both clubs got who they were after. Grown adults reading BigFooty thinking that they were privy to a complicated, high-risk draft tactic that AFL recruiting teams weren't aware of is flat-out hilarious.

We desperately need elite kicking and it looks like "Chez" delivers it consistently. I think he will settle in well, we have picked up quite a few Vic boys this year so that will ease the anxiety of the big move. Plus getting to sing the club song every single week next year when we begin our total domination of the AFL will help him settle.

We desperately need elite kicking and it looks like "Chez" delivers it consistently. I think he will settle in well, we have picked up quite a few Vic boys this year so that will ease the anxiety of the big move. Plus getting to sing the club song every single week next year when we begin our total domination of the AFL will help him settle.
North is a good mate and teammate of Cerra. Hopefully that helps him/them settle in WA. Smart drafting by Freo.

I am stoked with the selection, and back our culture to keep Cerra here.
The draft has always been a lottery and you can never predict what will happen. Picking a good player is hard enough. The pain factor is picking a dud, and passing on a star. If you recruit a star, and they leave, it is better than picking a dud. Funny thing is, at this time of year, every top 20 recruit is going to be a star. History shows that a small number will become elite AFL players.

To make an assumption, such as "Victorian's will go back to Victoria - so put a line through them" is just ridiculous. The players that seek a trade are the outliers. Most stay at the club they are selected at (take Gold Coast\ GWS out of this equation - GWS are doing ok mind you - while they are competitive).

In terms of players coming and going - what goes around goes around. We get Brayshaw for Weller which is great.

We have picked up Bennell (2 | 2010); McCarthy (14 | 2013); Nathan Wilson (unknown - AFL gift early pick)

In terms of losing players, I am struggling to pick them, we generally hold our good players. Maybe someone has a better recollection??

Yes we lost Weller - and at pick 13 we did exceptionally here, however after developing he wants out, and we get pick 2. Who knows? I predict bigger things from Brayshaw than Weller. So we lose some time, but, as I said, what goes around...it goes around.

Back