List Mgmt. Pick #5 - Welcome Adam Cerra [Traded to Carlton for 6 & F3]

Which brand of spud do we end up with (not if you want them or not)

• SPS

• Fisher

• Carroll

• Newnes

• Dow

• Nada

• Brackets McSpuddin

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Purpletown

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2014
Restumping
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC Denver Broncos
In all seriousness, how many here ever warmed to him in the same way you do to guys like Swaggy, Serong or Brayshaw? I certainly never did, and I'm not just saying that because he left. I loved Lachie Neale for example and would never pretend I didn't just because he left.

Cerra just seemed so cold and aloof all the time. I think someone here described him as an emotionless automaton once and I think that's pretty bang on.

Aloof is a good description for mine. I have no doubt he is a decent young man however so I am not going to be too harsh on him.

My honest opinion of how he played for us was that he played within himself and was a bit of a bruise free player. Still a very good player however.

noise36

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Cerra is all class with how he has gone about things, sad to see him go.

He pretty much lied to his mates and the club about his intention to consider Fremantle long term.

He has sooked since the day he arrived, never looked happy, lets be real was never going to sign an extension when he was thinking about things this year.

wakojako

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think this is spot on. I find this whole "nominating" a club thing to be sh*t for trading purposes anyway. I don't see why the club is obligated to do what the player wants? It's like nominating a used car dealership, "Yup. I'm gonna buy a car from this place." You lose all bargaining power and you have to accept what they have on the lot. You don't know what each car is worth or what they paid for it. Worse off, if you don't buy a car there, you risk not getting a car at all.

The way I see it, Freo was stuck negotiating with one club, which isn't where you want to be. The power comes when you can say, "I think I'll go to the dealership down the road." I've done this and it works. You want multiple clubs to work with. If it were Gold Coast and Carlton interested, it would have been a totally different story and Freo's hand gets a lot stronger. I don't think this is a great deal for Freo, but I don't think it's a fleecing. I would have preferred 2nd round pick instead of 3rd but, oh well. I don't get this idea that a club is obligated to honor the wishes of the player. The club is obligated to do what it takes to win premierships. If that's shipping Cerra to the Gold Coast, sucks for him.

I wish my employer would help me get a new job if I wanted to relocate to where I grew up...

I LOVE that we got pick 19. That could end up being the best trade of the week. I believe this is the first pick that can now take NGA kids, which gives it HUGE value. We might be able to move down one or two picks, still get our guy, and recoup some of the future picks we traded away. Or move up with some creative accounting. Based on Wallsy's comments, they are clearly aware of this.

Brodie trade was fine. I think he fits the age profile of our list and if he's a big body mid that can let Brayshaw and Serong do their thing, I don't think we gave up too much. If he's better than tucker then I'm even better with the trade.

Now, It looks like Belly is going to hold strong to pick 19 and only offer 22 for Clark. I would have preferred to give them 27, but I'm happy with 2 first rounders and the first pick of the second round if that is what it ends up being.

Lobb is another story all together. What is his deal?? Why does he want out?

Does he want to play less ruck? Well, then why the hell go to GWS who have very thin ruck stocks. Surely he knows that he will play in the ruck there. And, if GWS is looking to play Lobb as a ruck, why the fu** are they trading them in. Surely, they know he doesn't want to do this.

Does he want to go to Melbourne for his partner's job? Well, the why the fu** is he getting physicals done at GWS and why was he tied to GC earlier in the year? I don't live in AUS, but last time I looked at a map GC and Sydney weren't located in Melbourne. It must be something else.

Is he un-homesick? Is this a thing? Can someone who came home because he was homesick leave because he is un-homesick. I guess it's possible his mom is annoying the fu** out of him he wanted out. "Come here my boy. You're too skinny. You need to eat more." "Aw mom, can you just leave me alone! I'm working on my figure to go along with my snappy clothes."

Is is the culture of the team? This doesn't make sense.

Money? Well, he's making $700,000 here. Why move? GWS aren't going to pay that.

Longer contract? Why? For what purpose? Does he want to lock in a 4 year deal and then sit back and coast?

What is it? Why does he want to leave? I don't want to trade him because he plays a crucial role in our structure as a ruck/forward. But, the other side of me thinks he's being a whiney b*tch and should be traded to the Cleveland Browns.

Haha...ok, so I got a little carried away. This is the trade thread, right?
Amazing rant!

SHill Shall

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
LOL - in his first public airing in navy, Cerra comes out with "I can't wait to work with them".

He is definitely a strange unit and doesn't seem to get the emotional side of the game (or anything for that matter).

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bingo!

And while we could have been hoping for more, I'm overall fine with it. Its not a pick swap but an outright F3 - and of course we are shy on picks next year having previously cleared out F2, F3 and F4 to get the superb hand we now have in this year's draft.
Yes
Bright side , IF we turn pick six into a gun forward I think we are in a better position than we were with Cerra long term. Been said before but we have other midfield options but 0 f’n forwards.

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yes
Bright side , IF we turn pick six into a gun skinny half back flanker I think we are in a better position than we were with Cerra long term. Been said before but we have other midfield options but f’n forwards are over rated and don't matter.

Fixed it for you.

It is the Fremantle way.

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think this is spot on. I find this whole "nominating" a club thing to be sh*t for trading purposes anyway. I don't see why the club is obligated to do what the player wants? It's like nominating a used car dealership, "Yup. I'm gonna buy a car from this place." You lose all bargaining power and you have to accept what they have on the lot. You don't know what each car is worth or what they paid for it. Worse off, if you don't buy a car there, you risk not getting a car at all.

The way I see it, Freo was stuck negotiating with one club, which isn't where you want to be. The power comes when you can say, "I think I'll go to the dealership down the road." I've done this and it works. You want multiple clubs to work with. If it were Gold Coast and Carlton interested, it would have been a totally different story and Freo's hand gets a lot stronger. I don't think this is a great deal for Freo, but I don't think it's a fleecing. I would have preferred 2nd round pick instead of 3rd but, oh well. I don't get this idea that a club is obligated to honor the wishes of the player. The club is obligated to do what it takes to win premierships. If that's shipping Cerra to the Gold Coast, sucks for him.

I wish my employer would help me get a new job if I wanted to relocate to where I grew up...

I LOVE that we got pick 19. That could end up being the best trade of the week. I believe this is the first pick that can now take NGA kids, which gives it HUGE value. We might be able to move down one or two picks, still get our guy, and recoup some of the future picks we traded away. Or move up with some creative accounting. Based on Wallsy's comments, they are clearly aware of this.

Brodie trade was fine. I think he fits the age profile of our list and if he's a big body mid that can let Brayshaw and Serong do their thing, I don't think we gave up too much. If he's better than tucker then I'm even better with the trade.

Now, It looks like Belly is going to hold strong to pick 19 and only offer 22 for Clark. I would have preferred to give them 27, but I'm happy with 2 first rounders and the first pick of the second round if that is what it ends up being.

Does he want to play less ruck? Well, then why the hell go to GWS who have very thin ruck stocks. Surely he knows that he will play in the ruck there. And, if GWS is looking to play Lobb as a ruck, why the fu** are they trading them in. Surely, they know he doesn't want to do this.

Does he want to go to Melbourne for his partner's job? Well, the why the fu** is he getting physicals done at GWS and why was he tied to GC earlier in the year? I don't live in AUS, but last time I looked at a map GC and Sydney weren't located in Melbourne. It must be something else.

Is he un-homesick? Is this a thing? Can someone who came home because he was homesick leave because he is un-homesick. I guess it's possible his mom is annoying the fu** out of him he wanted out. "Come here my boy. You're too skinny. You need to eat more." "Aw mom, can you just leave me alone! I'm working on my figure to go along with my snappy clothes."

Longer contract? Why? For what purpose? Does he want to lock in a 4 year deal and then sit back and coast?

What is it? Why does he want to leave? I don't want to trade him because he plays a crucial role in our structure as a ruck/forward. But, the other side of me thinks he's being a whiney b*tch and should be traded to the Cleveland Browns.

To answer the Lobb thing I’ve been wondering whether the club has been recommending he explore other options due to his generally lazy and lack lustre couple of years he’s provided the club . I really loved his 2018 efforts but he’s certainly gone stale from there .
My take could be total BS though

Fred Ziffel

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
Cockburn W.A
AFL Club
Fremantle

Wow, this is a whole new level of ranting.
Very impressive.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
To answer the Lobb thing I’ve been wondering whether the club has been recommending he explore other options due to his generally lazy and lack lustre couple of years he’s provided the club . I really loved his 2018 efforts but he’s certainly gone stale from there .
My take could be total BS though
Darcy/Lobb has the potential to be just as good as Gawn/Jackson.

Having a dominant ruck duo + your midfield once all healthy can be devastating. Can understand why Freo don't want to let him go for cheap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

freo99

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2021
AFL Club
Fremantle
Aloof is a good description for mine. I have no doubt he is a decent young man however so I am not going to be too harsh on him.

My honest opinion of how he played for us was that he played within himself and was a bit of a bruise free player. Still a very good player however.
I’m thinking Adam is a bit on the shy side, this can come across as aloof.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
LOL - in his first public airing in navy, Cerra comes out with "I can't wait to work with them".

He is definitely a strange unit and doesn't seem to get the emotional side of the game (or anything for that matter).

It's a bit like how he plays too - ticks all the boxes from a technical point of view but there's no passion behind it.

It's how I imagine Patrick Bateman would look as a player lol.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
It's a bit like how he plays too - ticks all the boxes from a technical point of view but there's no passion behind it.

It's how I imagine Patrick Bateman would look as a player lol.

Allthe “passion” in the world won’t make Andy Brayshaw a better kick than Cerra

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Interesting thing about Cerra's kicking to me is I don't think his technique and accuracy are absolutely A1+. I'd argue he's not even the best kick mecnicalically in our side (Mundy and Crowden just for starters I think as pure kicks are better) and he actually scrubbers a non trivial amount of kicks too. BUT his decision making, speed of summing up options, his ability to see options and possibilities and angles. It's very close the best I've ever seen. I'm struggling to think of better.

Feb 22, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle

It's a bit weird hearing ppl get critical on Cerra's personality all of a sudden, now that he's leaving. I reckon the kid's done alright to handle some pretty intense scrutiny for the better half of a year and leave gracefully.

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts
It's a bit weird hearing ppl get critical on Cerra's personality all of a sudden, now that he's leaving. I reckon the kid's done alright to handle some pretty intense scrutiny for the better half of a year and leave gracefully.
Bullshit. People have been criticising his personality since the moment we called out his name on draft night.

Back