• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I tuned out after 40 seconds. Not one of his kicks hit a target. Not one

Yep that was one of the worst packages I have ever seen for a top 5 pick. I know it was just from one game, but he turned it over terribly and the highlight was the 50m bomb from directly in front to spray it out of bounds on the full. Couldn't even hit targets by hand!

Fairly poor 2 min package.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Luke Davies-Uniacke has piqued my interest of late. Given how shallow our midfield talent is, we could do with this kind of power.

Yuk , I rather downgrade pick 5 and get Mitch and 1st rd pick .

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
We had a player who had advertised that he was never returning to the eastern seaboard, that he was never going ot play for another club. The market was cornered, there was only ever going to be one outcome.

Knowing this, and having the high ground - we somehow saw fit to lower ourselves in the first round pecking order - knowing full well we were in the first years of a rebuild. We have missed out on the cream of the class of 2016 for a third tall who looked a good with silver service.

We know have an athlete who doesn't read the game and a lazy forward who can't take a contested mark to save himself and was getting bronxed cheered whenever he touched it on the weekend.

We could have been watching Petrovski Seaton or Mcluggage deliver the ball on the weekend. Instead, we had to watch Suban.

Only got Bronx cheered once!

Hamling? How would we have got him without draft picks? Use the one we already had that we used on Darcy? Ryan? How would we get him? Use the pick we used for Kersten? We also got Cox with a pick that may of otherwise been given up to get Hamling or Kersten.

The deeper this gets the more you need to understand the domino effect this deal allowed us to have.

Our pick 7 might be a bust, so might McLuggae or SPS end up being.

I'd love to see SPS in our team. But no Hamling, Ryan, Logue plus we still got McCarthy.

I'd argue Hamling has had a much better year then SPS or McLuggage further illustrating how bad your reasoning is.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
There were morons at Domain on Saturday booing a player re-entering the game after sidelining himself for an entire season, probably in order to get to our club!
Agree. I sat through the entire debacle yesterday and after the first 40 mins the ball barely cracked past our HF. Quite a few of I50 would have been barely I50. The kicking to the forwards which at times led up onto the wings was diabolical. I've been tough on Kersten but let's be honest being a Freo forward in the past 2 months has been a tough gig. Granted the dropped marks by McCarthy and Taberner were a little frustrating. McCarthy didn't need the Bronx cheers.

With regards to the McCathy trade (and he will be a lot better in 2018) it was a good deal that Fremantle exploited and sorted out prior to trade week. The bonus for GWS was that they got their early pick to ensure they didn't need to use pick seven on Academy pick Setterfield. Instead they ended with two top 10 picks. The players I really wanted were SPS or Ainsworth but it appears as though the Dockers had their eye on Logue. Some of the bilateral foot skills shown by SPS have been sublime.

We had to deal for McCarthy he had another year under contract.

Anyway for 2017 draft we MUST keep pick 5 unless the worst we drop is to about 10. I'm not interested in us dropping to >15.

Dockerbay

Debutant
Aug 21, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Only got Bronx cheered once!

Hamling? How would we have got him without draft picks? Use the one we already had that we used on Darcy? Ryan? How would we get him? Use the pick we used for Kersten? We also got Cox with a pick that may of otherwise been given up to get Hamling or Kersten.

The deeper this gets the more you need to understand the domino effect this deal allowed us to have.

Our pick 7 might be a bust, so might McLuggae or SPS end up being.

I'd love to see SPS in our team. But no Hamling, Ryan, Logue plus we still got McCarthy.

I'd argue Hamling has had a much better year then SPS or McLuggage further illustrating how bad your reasoning is.

Just can't understand why anything other than at worst, a 2nd round pick would have been on the table for Cam - personally, a third round pick should have been offered.

One can separate the draft from the process of trading - we traded overs for a third tall who wanted out. Hamling will not be better than SPS nor Mcluggage. I don't think anyone would suggest SPS and Mcluggage have a lower ceiling than a stopper like Hamling.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Just can't understand why anything other than at worst, a 2nd round pick would have been on the table for Cam - personally, a third round pick should have been offered.

One can separate the draft from the process of trading - we traded overs for a third tall who wanted out. Hamling will not be better than SPS nor Mcluggage. I don't think anyone would suggest SPS and Mcluggage have a lower ceiling than a stopper like Hamling.
I got to disagree on this. Freo do this deal because last season a lot of players get delisted .

scon

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2009
western australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Long haired Champs.
With regards to the McCathy trade (and he will be a lot better in 2018)
I'll be gobsmacked if that's not the case.
I'm not saying anything about what should happen with draft and trading because we have so little of the info the club has at its fingertips.
Give the cobblers the old shoes and the cheque.
Hope they rip it up again!

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle

Well it's Logue you'll be comparing SPS and McLuggage too anyway.

Hamling, as has been stated many times came FREE because of the deal. As did Ryan.

You can't separate when the deal involved more then just a first round downgrade from 3 to 7.

Even just the downgrade of 3 to 7 was probably worth it. We have 2 guys capable of playing 200 plus games at the club and both have the ability to do very well.

I'll leave it there. I don't think you get it.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Don't mind the look of Andrew Brayshaw. We could do worse than to pick him up, maybe if we downgrade our pick slightly?
Consider freo depth I really not sure why people here against downgrading pick 5 , but I am 100% against getting Matera.

jonesy233

Debutant
May 24, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Guys - we have been crying out for a tall forward for the last 5-6 years...we finally get a chance to have a crack at Brander and many of you want to go best available mid.

Finding a great tall forward is a lot harder than finding a good mid and if they have indicated Brander as a top 10 draft pick (at the forward position) it means he can play. My view is that unless there is an absolute standout generational mid, we should look no further than Brander (if he is available).

The other option would be to use pick 5 and downgrade for two picks, using one on McGovern and the other on a mid.

Purpellian Anchor

Purple Admiralty
Oct 14, 2011
Northam
AFL Club
Fremantle
Consider freo depth I really not sure why people here against downgrading pick 5 , but I am 100% against getting Matera.
a down grade is only a downgrade if it actually becomes a downgrade .....agh Im confusing myself .... basically if the pick is traded for any combination of picks that may or may not include a player it really is only relevant in terms of what they offer the team ...even then what they offer the team in terms of are the traded selections made for a developed team or a developing team. For me, the talent pool this year is very good and spread out but only one or two really vying for no 1 pick...the rest are a mix out to about 15 to 20 ( a bit like last year). My view of what we need is a power onballer (Mundy clone) who i'd have my eyes on Jonathon Marsh, a good skilful inside and out mid first pick (Joel Garner). Not sure if they are eligible to be drafted but Luke English and Lecosius as development prospects and Sam Hayes i think we should try to get if we can (This guy can become a Corey McKernan type and is what we need up forward for the three forward structure).

Dockerbay

Debutant
Aug 21, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well it's Logue you'll be comparing SPS and McLuggage too anyway.

Hamling, as has been stated many times came FREE because of the deal. As did Ryan.

You can't separate when the deal involved more then just a first round downgrade from 3 to 7.

Even just the downgrade of 3 to 7 was probably worth it. We have 2 guys capable of playing 200 plus games at the club and both have the ability to do very well.

I'll leave it there. I don't think you get it.

Firslty, you compared Hamling with SPS - not I.

Secondly, Hamling didn't come FREE - pick 34 was traded onto the bulldogs. Perhaps we could have had another ruck - Darcy Cameron, given our future looks like Darcy and then... perhaps that would have been the sounder option.

Tom Stewart has looked poised for Geelong - Hamling has been a very good get - he gets ragdolled by power forwards but that's only because of his frame - he is 24.

Ryan has played less than 5-6 games - he's shown some good signs but also gone missing and has some behavioural issues off the field.

Call it for what is, not the rose coloured paradise you seem to think we're operating in. We have been beaten by 100 points for two consecutive weeks.

Purpellian Anchor

Purple Admiralty
Oct 14, 2011
Northam
AFL Club
Fremantle
Garner or Brayshaw tackle well, excellent handball skills and good delivery of the footy by foot. Both are similar to Andy McGrath but not quite as advanced as he was last year in body and fitness. Either is a good pick for us with our first in my humble opinion ;)

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
a down grade is only a downgrade if it actually becomes a downgrade .....agh Im confusing myself .... basically if the pick is traded for any combination of picks that may or may not include a player it really is only relevant in terms of what they offer the team ...even then what they offer the team in terms of are the traded selections made for a developed team or a developing team. For me, the talent pool this year is very good and spread out but only one or two really vying for no 1 pick...the rest are a mix out to about 15 to 20 ( a bit like last year). My view of what we need is a power onballer (Mundy clone) who i'd have my eyes on Jonathon Marsh, a good skilful inside and out mid first pick (Joel Garner). Not sure if they are eligible to be drafted but Luke English and Lecosius as development prospects and Sam Hayes i think we should try to get if we can (This guy can become a Corey McKernan type and is what we need up forward for the three forward structure).
Luke English and lucosius are not available this year . I watched u18 Vic metro and country Sam Hayes way overated . I preferred balta.

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle

Secondly, Hamling didn't come FREE - pick 34 was traded onto the bulldogs. Perhaps we could have had another ruck - Darcy Cameron, given our future looks like Darcy and then... perhaps that would have been the sounder option.

Tom Stewart has looked poised for Geelong - Hamling has been a very good get - he gets ragdolled by power forwards but that's only because of his frame - he is 24.

Ryan has played less than 5-6 games - he's shown some good signs but also gone missing and has some behavioural issues off the field.

Call it for what is, not the rose coloured paradise you seem to think we're operating in. We have been beaten by 100 points for two consecutive weeks.

And SPS changes that? McLuggage changes that?

We got 2 extra picks from GWS. We needed extra picks considering the clean out. The 2 extra picks allowed us to secure 2 more players. It doesn't matter who they were but it happens to be Hamling and Ryan.

Darcy Cameron? What's he shown??

Anyway like I said I'm out.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Ticks all of the boxes imo. Skill, smarts and speed. And you get toughness as a bonus. It'll be interesting to see how he tests but he's a footballer.
I hope less concussion from this younger brother .

PurpleEyes

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle

Regarding the Cam McCarthy deal. Freo got him for what equated to about pick#71.
That is, using the AFL's bidding points system, Freo had pick#3 (worth 2,234 points). They traded that for Cam McCarthy, pick#7 (1,644), pick#34 (542), and pick#72 (19) which equates to Cam McCarthy costing (2,234-1,644-542-19=) 29 points (ie. pick#71).

That deal which resulted in multiple picks, really set up Freo for what was one of their best drafts ever.
As I have posted elsewhere, in 2017 Freo have played 8 players that were drafted in 2016 for a total of 120 games. That is easily the best in the league.

Dockernut

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sharks. Anyone playing West Coast.
I tuned out after 40 seconds. Not one of his kicks hit a target. Not one

Yeah haha, I noticed that after I posted it. Should have posted the one from Vic metro where he bursts away from the centre square bounce and dobs a goal from fifty. I'm trying not to put too much stock in these draft videos as I completely wrote off Sean Darcy last year and he has proven to be an inspired pick.

kp junior

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo
Regarding the Cam McCarthy deal. Freo got him for what equated to about pick#71.
That is, using the AFL's bidding points system, Freo had pick#3 (worth 2,234 points). They traded that for Cam McCarthy, pick#7 (1,644), pick#34 (542), and pick#72 (19) which equates to Cam McCarthy costing (2,234-1,644-542-19=) 29 points (ie. pick#71).

That deal which resulted in multiple picks, really set up Freo for what was one of their best drafts ever.
As I have posted elsewhere, in 2017 Freo have played 8 players that were drafted in 2016 for a total of 120 games. That is easily the best in the league.
That doesn't mean they're all going to have good AFL careers. Hamling is probably looking the most likely of the bunch at this early stage. In 5 years if McCluggage is at Dusty Martin level and our guys are all B graders then it will still be a bust. Quality always wins over quantity.

NB I think we'll be fine this one time, but I hope we don't do a similar dilution of talent with our pick this year. Where's Moo with his drafting rules ?

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
We had a player who had advertised that he was never returning to the eastern seaboard, that he was never going ot play for another club. The market was cornered, there was only ever going to be one outcome.

Knowing this, and having the high ground - we somehow saw fit to lower ourselves in the first round pecking order - knowing full well we were in the first years of a rebuild. We have missed out on the cream of the class of 2016 for a third tall who looked a good with silver service.

We know have an athlete who doesn't read the game and a lazy forward who can't take a contested mark to save himself and was getting bronxed cheered whenever he touched it on the weekend.

We could have been watching Petrovski Seaton or Mcluggage deliver the ball on the weekend. Instead, we had to watch Suban.
Putting aside that our recruiters claimed they would take Logue at 3 anyway - which if true voids your entire argument.

I would agree with you if Cam wasn't contracted this year.

SPS and Suitcase might have been playing but so would have Dawson and Ibbo and we would have an extra 3 players to delist trade this year. In general I am no fan of high pick downgrades but **** me not sure how you can argue that wasn't a good deal unless you somehow have the forsight that Logue is a bust and SPS or McCluggage become superstars for sure. If you do know these things then please communicate them with the club ASAP.

Guys - we have been crying out for a tall forward for the last 5-6 years...we finally get a chance to have a crack at Brander and many of you want to go best available mid.

Finding a great tall forward is a lot harder than finding a good mid and if they have indicated Brander as a top 10 draft pick (at the forward position) it means he can play. My view is that unless there is an absolute standout generational mid, we should look no further than Brander (if he is available).

The other option would be to use pick 5 and downgrade for two picks, using one on McGovern and the other on a mid.
I'm a big Brander fan but its that whole best position dilemma. If he is a forward then I can't see us not drafting him (unless he goes earlier or we trade the pick).

That said, for me he is kinda like a quicker Brennan Cox with a better kick. Not sure how high the club rates Cox as a forward. If it is high enough then pick 5 might not be warranted for a slight upgrade.

Have you watched SPS or McCluggage this year? I only ask because if you are judging this trade based on performance this year (which is absurd anyway) then neither SPS or Hugh have shown the most. Sure, they have done some nice things but I would argue that Darcy and Ryan have produced FAR better performances than the other two.

How would SPS or McCluggage made any difference on Sunday or against the Swans? Seriously that couldn't make any less sense.

If I had to guess I'd say you have already decided that SPS or Suitcase is the best player out of the 6 and by such a margin that he is better than 4 players hands down which if true see my comment above.

That doesn't mean they're all going to have good AFL careers. Hamling is probably looking the most likely of the bunch at this early stage. In 5 years if McCluggage is at Dusty Martin level and our guys are all B graders then it will still be a bust. Quality always wins over quantity.

NB I think we'll be fine this one time, but I hope we don't do a similar dilution of talent with our pick this year. Where's Moo with his drafting rules ?
GWS is the only club who is capable of being on the other side of a trade like that (seriously every other club would laugh at you). Unless they have another players they want to offload for chips then it won't happen.

I pray we don't do something stupid like 5 for MGov and 18.

Back