Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Noah Balta

• Aiden Bonar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind Brander and I am fine with Naughton. But Brander looks a bit short of a sure thing to me, and I am loathe to spend pick 5 on a "sure thing" defender (who may be able to go forward). I am keen on Naughton in a trade down situation, and that is my preference; Maybe pick 5 and Balic gets us pick 6 or 7 or 8 and a second rounder. Maybe pick 8 gets us Williams and a second rounder. A couple of second rounders will get us a decent midfielder and a small forward.

If we took Fogarty then we have a bit of an each way bet regarding talls. He is not exactly what we want up forward, and while he is similar in height to McCarthy and Kersten, he is more aggressive and explosive. Much more versatile too and can slip into the midfield in the bulldozering way Pavlich did.

It gives us time to see how Apeness, Strnadica and Taberner develop as genuine tall forwards who can also provide some time in the ruck. If nothing is happening with them at the end of next season our draft goal is clear. We should be after O'Reilly anyway.

I don't mind Brander and I am fine with Naughton. But Brander looks a bit short of a sure thing to me, and I am loathe to spend pick 5 on a "sure thing" defender (who may be able to go forward). I am keen on Naughton in a trade down situation, and that is my preference; Maybe pick 5 and Balic gets us pick 6 or 7 or 8 and a second rounder.

If we took Fogarty then we have a bit of an each way bet regarding talls. He is not exactly what we want up forward, and while he is similar in height to McCarthy and Kersten, he is more aggressive and explosive. Much more versatile too and can slip into the midfield in the bulldozering way Pavlich did.

It gives us time to see how Apeness, Strnadica and Taberner develop as genuine tall forwards who can also provide some time in the ruck. If nothing is happening with them at the end of next season our draft goal is clear. We should be after O'Reilly anyway.
For me, it's either Brander or Fogarty.

Still reckon LDU is a chance for us. Most on this board have written him off for his disposal already, so I reckon he'll slide.

If the opportunity presents itself, I believe we should trade down if what we see at pick 5 is not the best combination of needs and best player available.

Would like us to get a gun midfielder though if we remain at Pick 5.

Him and harley are best mates

No they're not?

and he was a freo* supporter growing up

No he wasn't?

3cd52a538c4e06b2a771c50f2e65d85e.png

What would recruiters have said about Dangerfield character? Etc etc etc

Heaps of pressure put on players to return home, and it is now a fairly accepted occurrence. We aren't flaming Balic. Hawks don't boo Hill. Deals happen every season regardless of good character.

I hope where good character is most useful is in predraft interviews where someone is asked how they would feel about an interstate move. Straight, honest answers required.
I honestly have no idea what they said about Danger and I am not sure it is relevant in isolation. Most players DON'T move clubs.

You can't just ignore the Metro boys entirely, you just need to do your diligence on them and select the right ones. Personally I would always be happy to take those of high character even from Metro (assuming the talent is there).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rayner, Stephenson, Naughton, Garner, Brayshaw, Dow would be the top six for me and not in any order though Rayner and Dow probably the top two. This group are clean and efficient ball users. Any of Dow Garner and Brayshaw would be good for as essentially as inside mids.

I honestly have no idea what they said about Danger and I am not sure it is relevant in isolation. Most players DON'T move clubs.

You can't just ignore the Metro boys entirely, you just need to do your diligence on them and select the right ones. Personally I would always be happy to take those of high character even from Metro (assuming the talent is there).
well of course most don't move clubs, but I don't think that is character dependant.

well of course most don't move clubs, but I don't think that is character dependant.
Certainly there are aspects that you can't predict, the rest is entirely character and what other clubs offer.

It is not that strong characters can't want to go home, they are just more likely to be loyal or tough it out or whatever. It also means you can believe what they say in the combine interview.

If you can't recruit the good blokes from Metro, who can you recruit from there? I guess for me its more of a case that if he says "yes I am happy to go to Freo or anywhere" then I believe those blokes will do there utmost to see that through.

I guess for me its more of a case that if he says "yes I am happy to go to Freo or anywhere" then I believe those blokes will do there utmost to see that through.
That is my hope too. There is no doubt that MacPharlin and Bell sit as two of our greats. Both left their clubs to return home. Both outstanding men with demonstrated leadership. I think loyalty to a club has diminished, and clubs trade players while they are under the knife. It is a much more fluid environment than 10 years ago.

Just a idea outside the box.

Given we will be interested in a number of WA players in the next draft (plus this years players around 5 arent 100% convincing in my opinion), perhaps we could trade our pick 5 for another clubs first round 2018 pick. Say North Melbourne for example...

Sets us up for O'Reilly, Hill, Carter etc in 2018.

This year we could focus on the Balic trade (hopefully a 2nd rounder but doubt it). Makes 2017 a bit boring for us but allows another development year for the young players, and a huge chance to grab 3 quality players in 2018.

Thoughts?

Just a idea outside the box.

Given we will be interested in a number of WA players in the next draft (plus this years players around 5 arent 100% convincing in my opinion), perhaps we could trade our pick 5 for another clubs first round 2018 pick. Say North Melbourne for example...

Sets us up for O'Reilly, Hill, Carter etc in 2018.

This year we could focus on the Balic trade (hopefully a 2nd rounder but doubt it). Makes 2017 a bit boring for us but allows another development year for the young players, and a huge chance to grab 3 quality players in 2018.

Thoughts?

I like it. We're pushing for a premiership window that is doubtful will open before 2020 anyway.

Back