• Noah Balta

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Aiden Bonar

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a idea outside the box.

Given we will be interested in a number of WA players in the next draft (plus this years players around 5 arent 100% convincing in my opinion), perhaps we could trade our pick 5 for another clubs first round 2018 pick. Say North Melbourne for example...

Sets us up for O'Reilly, Hill, Carter etc in 2018.

This year we could focus on the Balic trade (hopefully a 2nd rounder but doubt it). Makes 2017 a bit boring for us but allows another development year for the young players, and a huge chance to grab 3 quality players in 2018.

Thoughts?
I had this thought as well, would be great, but why would any lowly club downgrade their 2018 pick given the likely talent in the top 3-5 next year vs this year?

Given we will be interested in a number of WA players in the next draft (plus this years players around 5 arent 100% convincing in my opinion), perhaps we could trade our pick 5 for another clubs first round 2018 pick. Say North Melbourne for example...

This year we could focus on the Balic trade (hopefully a 2nd rounder but doubt it). Makes 2017 a bit boring for us but allows another development year for the young players, and a huge chance to grab 3 quality players in 2018.

Thoughts?

I suspect we might be in the running for another top 5 pick next year as it is... all you do by trading away this years pick for a 2018 pick is definitely giving up a pick 5 this year, with a gamble on where next years pick will be based on how another club performs..

Thoughts?

Had crossed my mind, but it's a real gamble when pick 5 is just right there staring you in the face.

There would need to be so much more to it.

Maybe 5 for someone's first this year and next? Like Richmond for example.

Take their ~ pick 14 this year as they have 2 first rounders and next years first which they would hope is another pick around 12-18 and we'd hope inside 10.

So many questions like why would they do it? Why would we? Well we kind of know the answer to that.

GC might entertain a trade of an early 2nd and next years first for pick 5 this year and maybe our 2nd next year. That would be potentially very lucrative to us and equally damaging if GC improved significantly.

Trying to enter 2018 with as many picks inside 40 as possible would be great as a mass exodus of players should be gone by end of 2018.

Easier said then done.

For our Pick 5 this year I'm starting to lean towards Stephenson. He has that X Factor, breaks lines, long bullet like passed, good mark. Very fast... he is now getting Midfield time in the TAC and is smashing it.

Jaidyn Stephenson

Medium Forward/Outside Midfielder (Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro)
15/01/1999 | 189cm | 76kg

Scouting notes: Plays as a tall forward marking target inside 50 despite being medium size. Has a big wingspan which sees him pluck the ball from above his opponents reach. He converts his set-shot chances more than not, after bursting onto the scene with a terrific finals series for Eastern Ranges as an Under 16 back in 2015. Stephenson has pushed up onto the wing at times, but plays his best up forward or play as a high half forward. He moves well and holds a great endurance base to go with a really good burst of speed. Midfield craft is improving.

Last month: Has continued to show his midfield craft throughout the last month, with 25 disposals, six inside 50s and five clearances against Calder Cannons. In the cold conditions at Deakin University, Stephenson was his teams best ball winner – collecting seven more disposals than the next best Ranger, finishing the day with 25 disposals, seven inside 50s, seven tackles and five clearances. On Saturday he had a game-high 34 disposals, seven inside 50s and six clearances, able to win the ball on the outside.

Last edited:
For our Pick 5 this year I'm starting to lean towards Stephenson. He has that X Factor, breaks lines, long bullet like passed, good mark. Very fast... he is now getting Midfield time in the TAC and is smashing it.

Jaidyn Stephenson

Scouting notes: Plays as a tall forward marking target inside 50 despite being medium size. Has a big wingspan which sees him pluck the ball from above his opponents reach. He converts his set-shot chances more than not, after bursting onto the scene with a terrific finals series for Eastern Ranges as an Under 16 back in 2015. Stephenson has pushed up onto the wing at times, but plays his best up forward or play as a high half forward. He moves well and holds a great endurance base to go with a really good burst of speed. Midfield craft is improving.

Last month: Has continued to show his midfield craft throughout the last month, with 25 disposals, six inside 50s and five clearances against Calder Cannons. In the cold conditions at Deakin University, Stephenson was his teams best ball winner – collecting seven more disposals than the next best Ranger, finishing the day with 25 disposals, seven inside 50s, seven tackles and five clearances. On Saturday he had a game-high 34 disposals, seven inside 50s and six clearances, able to win the ball on the outside.
I like him too but he doesn't have a long bullet like pass. He is an average field kick at best IMO. The rest is pretty spot on. Bit of talk around that North may be interested though.

I like him too but he doesn't have a long bullet like pass. He is an average field kick at best IMO. The rest is pretty spot on. Bit of talk around that North may be interested though.
Long without the bullet. Strange he is a very good kick for goal but a very inconsistent field kick.
Wouldn't mind Hunter Clarke either, killing it as an inside now and dynamic on the outside.

Jaidyn Stephenson

Sounds like a Fyfe Jr.

This is some of the footage I have been looking at for Stephenson, some of the passes look pretty snappy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Long without the bullet. Strange he is a very good kick for goal but a very inconsistent field kick.
Wouldn't mind Hunter Clarke either, killing it as an inside now and dynamic on the outside.
Yeah it's weird. We would definitely take the accurate goal kicking though.
This is some of the footage I have been looking at for Stephenson, some of the passes look pretty snappy.

Good penetration but if you watch a lot of highlights he misses targets a LOT when field kicking - especially short. Drop short or just wide a lot of the time.

I see similarities but a better kick and faster!
Faster? Definitely and probably more penetrating kick than Fyfe was. Equally is accurate/inaccurate field kick. Hands are good but not sure they are Fyfe good.

Hunter has averaged 27 disposals at Tac, and has also kicked similar amount of goals. Inside/outside
kicks goals, half back, what's not to like?

The top 5 is a bit blurry. A few late contenders arriving.
I like Coffield. An absolute gun kick with heaps of speed and outstanding leadership qualities. Is 190cm so he could start his career with us off half back and move into the midfield (playing as a tall clearance player) later on in his career. In the short term he offers similar qualities to what recruiting Nathan Wilson would also provide in that he would allow Blakely and Weller to play more midfield.

I like Coffield. An absolute gun kick with heaps of speed and outstanding leadership qualities. Is 190cm so he could start his career with us off half back and move into the midfield (playing as a tall clearance player) later on in his career. In the short term he offers similar qualities to what recruiting Nathan Wilson would also provide in that he would allow Blakely and Weller to play more midfield.
don't know what it is we are apparently wanting more half backs..... We have Ryan, Duman, Sutcliffe, S Hill, Blakely,Logue, Nyhuis and even Spurr as a primary group. Wilson is okay but he is still only 60/70% of Stephen Hill.

With our academy we have Jason Carter next year who is a hbf/winger and Liam Henry the following year.

wayToGo_ Tundrawolf either of you guys know what position Henry plays at the moment? His frame would suggest perhaps a more outside focused role at least to start off with. Mind you at 16 he's already almost Dangerfields height.

15253618_1226858550709273_5764217626677366420_n.jpg

If our academy can provide is with a continual supply of outside speed and class then maybe our picks in the main draft should be focussed more on the inside beasts and KPP players.

With an indigenous board member, and a strong focus on indigenous talent in the team and through the academy - will be interesting to see if that has an impact on being a destination club for indigenous players in time

We could be fielding half our best 22 soon
Bennell, Hill, Hamling, Matera and maybe Wilson in 3 years. I'd say we already own the status

Back