Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Noah Balta

• Aiden Bonar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

McGovern and 9 I like. Bulldogs get killed don't they?

Maybe; Pick 5 and swap 2018 2nd round picks for McGovern and 9.

If the assumption is that the clubs will have similar seasons next year to this year it is a significant upgrade for the Crows.

The other sticking point for me is the question of who we would be targeting at 9. If it is Naughton plus we are bringing in McGovern, I would suggest Cox should be in trade discussions. Crows would be looking for a Lever replacement and would be reeling from the loss of two interstate players. I would take pick 26 for Cox in your scenario. It is essentially a different trade but one the kind Adelaide would be looking for.

OUT
Freo - Pick 5 & 2018 2nd, Cox
Adelaide - Jake Lever & Pick 35, Pick 9 & Mich McGovern & 2018 2nd,
Western Bulldogs - Pick 9 & 26 (or future 2nd rounder)

IN
Freo - Mitch McGovern & Pick 9 & Crows 2018 2nd Round, Pick 26 (for Cox)
Adelaide - Pick 5 & Fremantle 2018 2nd Round, Pick 26 (ontraded from Bulldogs to Fremantle), Cox
Western Bulldogs - Jake Lever, Pick 35

Why exactly would we trade Cox who is a promising tall, for a second round pick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The other sticking point for me is the question of who we would be targeting at 9. If it is Naughton plus we are bringing in McGovern, I would suggest Cox should be in trade discussions. Crows would be looking for a Lever replacement and would be reeling from the loss of two interstate players. I would take pick 26 for Cox in your scenario. It is essentially a different trade but one the kind Adelaide would be looking for.

OUT
Freo - Pick 5 & 2018 2nd, Cox
Adelaide - Jake Lever & Pick 35, Pick 9 & Mich McGovern & 2018 2nd,
Western Bulldogs - Pick 9 & 26 (or future 2nd rounder)

IN
Freo - Mitch McGovern & Pick 9 & Crows 2018 2nd Round, Pick 26 (for Cox)
Adelaide - Pick 5 & Fremantle 2018 2nd Round, Pick 26 (ontraded from Bulldogs to Fremantle), Cox
Western Bulldogs - Jake Lever, Pick 35
Why you keep throwing Cox name out for trade ?

mcgovern instead. probably doesn't think we will need both.
Still trading out a player just drafted is not a good outlook for the club. Don't get me wrong I like Mitch to come to freo but not at any cause , especially this kind of treatment to a first year player is unacceptable.

If you look at pick 5 over the past 10 years I'm sure some are guns and others don't live up to expectation

Pick 5 - Best* (>5) - [Freos pick >5]

Will Setterfield - Sean Darcy (38) - [Logue]
Darcy Parish - Eric Hipwood (14) - [Tucker]
Jordan DeGoey - Jake Lever (14) - [Weller]
Kade Kolojashnij - Zac Merrett (26) - [Apeness]
Jake Stringer - Ollie Wines (7) - [Simpson]
Matt Buntine - Toby Green (11) - [Sheridan]
Jared Polec - Luke Parker (40) - [Pitt]
Ben Cunnington - Nathan Fyfe (20) - [Fyfe]
Michael Hurley - Dayne Beams (29) - [Ballantyne]
Jarrad Grant - Patrick Dangerfield (10) - [Palmer]

* My opinion doesn't make it fact!

Last edited:
Pick 5 - Best* (>5) - [Freos pick >5]

Will Setterfield - Sean Darcy (38) - [Logue]
Darcy Parish - Eric Hipwood (14) - [Tucker]
Jordan DeGoey - Jake Lever (14) - [Weller]
Kade Kolojashnij - Zac Merrett (26) - [Apeness]
Jake Stringer - Olli Wines (7) - [Simpson]
Matt Buntine - Toby Green (11) - [Sheridan]
Jared Polec - Luke Parker (40) - [Pitt]
Ben Cunnington - Nathan Fyfe (20) - [Fyfe]
Michael Hurley - Dayne Beams (29) - [Ballantyne]
Jarrad Grant - Patrick Dangerfield (10) - [Palmer]

* My opinion doesn't make it fact!

Ugh the Parker miss for Pitt makes me feel even worse about that draft! ******* hell Freo!!

Still trading out a player just drafted is not a good outlook for the club. Don't get me wrong I like Mitch to come to freo but not at any cause , especially this kind of treatment to a first year player is unacceptable.
agree. He looks a really good talent.

I'd like Raynor or Fogarty. They seem a class above... the only reason we should even contemplate not picking Brander is if one of them is still there at our pick. Otherwise, pick Brander.

No need to over-think this. Freo are crying out for a long-term CHF we can develop through the re-build, and there seems to be one around our pick (hopefully).

Ugh the Parker miss for Pitt makes me feel even worse about that draft! ******* hell Freo!!

Nah thats cool as Jack Darling would be the only other decent player taken after Pitt.

Though did you know Josh Jenkins, Jason Johanisen, Jeremy McGovern and Luke Dahlhaus went in the RD and that Freo drafted Jack Anthony moments before in the PSD, hahaha now thats some messed up s**t!

Why exactly would we trade Cox who is a promising tall, for a second round pick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think we should, but if we are bringing in Naughton and McGovern then someone isn't going to be getting a game. Especially with Naughton looking like he can play sooner rather than later. I would be shocked if Adelaide don't ask for him if they lose two talls. Someone is surplus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think we should, but if we are bringing in Naughton and McGovern then someone isn't going to be getting a game. Especially with Naughton looking like he can play sooner rather than later. I would be shocked if Adelaide don't ask for him if they lose two talls. Someone is surplus.
The trade period end before the draft start. How can you guarantee other club won't look at naughton before freo downgrade pick?

Last edited:
It's way too high. McGovern is not worth pick 5. Let's calm down a second, yeh he takes a good grab.. but it's pick 5 ffs! We could land ourselves a super A grade player at that pick.
totally. But that doesn't mean pick 5 couldn't be traded. For me, a lot depends on who the club wants as our first choice and where they think they can take them. With he likelihood of a big list turnover they will need to be creative.

The trade period end before the draft start. How can you guarantee other club won't look at naughton before freo downgrade pick?
At pick nine there are plenty of other decent options. Did you think that the club would go into the draft with only one option for a pick? Hayes, Coffield, Fogarty. Happy days. But I can't recall any deny one suggesting he would go before then. But could happen.

Last edited:

I think some clubs, in the incestuous trading to club b, who trades to club c, who trades to club d, who trades back to a, give gentlemans agreements and I think that was pretty obvious with our downgrading and getting Logue last year.

That will fill in a picture of some of the drafting, some of it's obvious - club z with 1st pick needs a gun midfielder and the best pick is a gun midfielder from that clubs state (or better yet a supporter). Clubs then only have a few blanks left to make an educated guess, but list needs are obvious and any player restrictions - e.g. only going to play in Adelaide (Wingard example), risks associated with a player are usually known so they may be a gun on the field but no one will touch them (dodgy knee from 2 reconstructions, is a bit punchy on the ground or has a conviction etc).

No ironclad guarantees, but the first 10 draft picks would see clubs having worked out in advance and usually getting either their first or second choice that they think their draft position merits. I think that with any gentlemans agreements etc that clubs would honour them as a failure to do so would mean that clubs don't do elaborate swapsies of picks with you in the future - and it's a handy thing to have.

I think some clubs, in the incestuous trading to club b, who trades to club c, who trades to club d, who trades back to a, give gentlemans agreements and I think that was pretty obvious with our downgrading and getting Logue last year.

That will fill in a picture of some of the drafting, some of it's obvious - club z with 1st pick needs a gun midfielder and the best pick is a gun midfielder from that clubs state (or better yet a supporter). Clubs then only have a few blanks left to make an educated guess, but list needs are obvious and any player restrictions - e.g. only going to play in Adelaide (Wingard example), risks associated with a player are usually known so they may be a gun on the field but no one will touch them (dodgy knee from 2 reconstructions, is a bit punchy on the ground or has a conviction etc).

No ironclad guarantees, but the first 10 draft picks would see clubs having worked out in advance and usually getting either their first or second choice that they think their draft position merits. I think that with any gentlemans agreements etc that clubs would honour them as a failure to do so would mean that clubs don't do elaborate swapsies of picks with you in the future - and it's a handy thing to have.
Getting second rd pick for Cox just incase naughton is available just don't make any sense. There Is no different as trading tucker out to get pick 16 or 17 . ( If he did not ask to be trade back home) .

Last edited:
Another forward/mid around the pick 5 mark
Jaidyn Stephenson
POS: Half-forward, Ht 189cm, Wt 76kg, DOB 15/1/1999

From Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro (that's a worry)

A bag of five goals from 28 disposals against South Australia was Stephenson's best outing at the championships. From a wing he was able to find space, link up with teammates and hit the scoreboard – all things the Eastern Ranges prospect has done over the past three seasons at TAC Cup level. Stephenson is rangey but good overhead and can leap for his marks, he's dangerous when the ball hits the ground, and can manufacture something from nothing. He's also spent periods of this season up the ground in a midfield role.

Jaidyn Stephenson looked a different man. In part for having cut his ponytail, but also his attack on the football and the contested side of his game was the best it has been. Stephenson accumulated 39 disposals, 22 contested possessions, six marks (one contested), five tackles, five clearances, nine inside 50s and three score assists in Eastern's exciting win over Sandringham. Stephenson is likely to feature inside the top 10 this year as an athletic midfielder or forward.

A) In what world is trading Cox, a 18 year old KPD/KPF who has shown genuine ability, for a second round pick a good idea?
B) I'd love Brander but i think we'll simply go best available. We have quantity, not quality in KPF's which makes it difficult from a list management perspective when we have a lot of other dead wood through the middle that needs delisting. It also probably means we try to break up pick 5 since we have so many holes to fill.
C) Its shaping up to be a great year to have a pick 5. The top 5 odd picks are almost indistinguishable. We are guaranteed one of Brander, Dow, Cerra, Rayner, Stephenson

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

A) In what world is trading Cox, a 18 year old KPD/KPF who has shown genuine ability, for a second round pick a good idea?
B) I'd love Brander but i think we'll simply go best available. We have quantity, not quality in KPF's which makes it difficult from a list management perspective when we have a lot of other dead wood through the middle that needs delisting. It also probably means we try to break up pick 5 since we have so many holes to fill.
C) Its shaping up to be a great year to have a pick 5. The top 5 odd picks are almost indistinguishable. We are guaranteed one of Brander, Dow, Cerra, Rayner, Stephenson

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I was more impressed with Davies-Uniake than Cerra but most Tac watches like Cerra

Cox just signed to the end of 2020

Back