Player Watch Pick #52 (2013) - Darcy Byrne-Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Just seen the footage for the first time if only a few more players had half the stuff inside of them as DBJ has.

Thought the goal he kicked was good but this instantly puts him within my top fav players true port adelaide heart in this one

lotion_snapshot_007.jpg

Wow that was incredible. That is what Port Adelaide footy is all about. Helping out your teammate when they are in trouble. Well done young man

Cheers for sharing the vid, we didn't see how it started but my youngster was convinced that Gaff must have tried taking DBJ out as he was being helped off for Jonas to be so angry a bit later on:D
Felt for DBJ when he came back on, watching him try to change direction was a worry, I thought his leg was going to give way.

He's been one of the few highlights of the season so far.

Right.in.front.of.me.

Glad they had some vision of it. Was epic on the night.
I was wincing as I thought he had done his knee properly and it would make it worse. Glad to see it all the same.

Played a total of 7 AFL games, and already deserves a spot in the leadership group.
Keep him away from the leadership group. Given how the form of players joining our leadership group lately goes down, our leadership group should consist of the likes of Kane Mitchell, Paul Stewart and Michael Voss.

Keep him away from the leadership group. Given how the form of players joining our leadership group lately goes down, our leadership group should consist of the likes of Kane Mitchell, Paul Stewart and Michael Voss.

I'm not a real fan of leaderships groups to be honest. Players in the group are expected to show leadership and set an example for the entire squad. But isn't that the responsibility of all players. Darcy led by example on Saturday when he came to Boak's defence on one leg. The club should set the standards and all players should live and breath those standards.

But if you going to have a leadership group it should be limited to a handful of players, not 8 as is the case now.

I know it means little to playing ability, but I took the nephews along to one of the junior training type days the club holds. I'd imagine as a player its generally a case of putting on a smile and working with the kids on different drills.
At the time I was figuring Darcy may be in his last year at the club as he hadn't set the world alight in the SANFL, but what impressed me about him was how engaged he was with the kids, they were loving the attention he was giving each and every one of them. Its a small thing but I figured it was a pointer to a his good character.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back