Player Watch Pick #52 (2013) - Darcy Byrne-Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Lol at people getting outraged by it though. It isn't even the tip of the iceberg of homophobia in society. It's closer to the stars in the sky above the iceberg.

Aim low at eliminating prejudice from society, guys.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

Lol at people getting outraged by it though. It isn't even the tip of the iceberg of homophobia in society. It's closer to the stars in the sky above the iceberg.

Zero tolerance is the only way.

What a bizarre view to take. A guy on the stage of national radio used homosexuality as an insult, you can't start much higher than that. These so called "degrees" of severity regarding insults is insanity. You would have no idea how it makes someone feel anyway, there could be a vast number of people offended by that comment for all you know. Many will never speak out about how it upset them either.

Zero tolerance.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
People reckon we live in a politically correct society but guys like Stephen Rowe and Brian Taylor can get away with calling people NTTAWWTters on live broadcasts.
Pretty sure I know which comment from Brian 'buffoon' Taylor your referring to(GFC defender?). When I heard it, it was like wtf

Many on the neighbours board think Rowe is a ****wit too. The difference is they're embarrassed we get angry

Does not matter what word he used, he used it as an insult.

Stryke

Club Legend
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Using that term on radio is a sackable offence to be honest.

He also queried if Darcy is homosexual because he went to an all boys school. Wow. Even for Stupid that is unprofessional. Even jokingly that's not on.

Two clear cut examples of Rowe breaching sexism standards.

I detest the culture of outrage that permeates society these days, but it is justifiable in this case.

Has anyone complained to 5AA?

I was a bit miffed with the complete surprise that an AFL footballer went to *shock* a PRIVATE SCHOOL!!! I mean, what are the odds?!?!?!
It's a fairly standard pathway for promising footballers isn't it? Xavier College in Melbourne for example. Sacred Heart here (well once anyway).

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Sorry if I came across out of line, just feeling particularly jaded at the moment regarding these issues. Got a new umpire in town who is homosexual that was abused by a coach on the weekend using terms that definitely aren't rhyming slang, he was reported by several umpires. The entire thing so far has been swept under the carpet.

What's worse is the coach comes from a club headed up by the local mayor, a man who has spent time working with the LGBT community given it's strength in town, yet has dished out zero in house discipline because... football clubs?

It grinds my gears. Homophobia is in my experience so much more prevalent in society than racism and sexism yet receives a smidgen of the attention.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
I don't recall seeing this image posted so here goes.

dbj_rising_star_nom.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BrockBlitz

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Guys I appreciate that this is a topic worth talking about it but the dedicated Darcy thread is not it.

Mods can we move this convo ?

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Nathan Krakouer Player Sponsor 2015 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
How about we just end it here and save moderator intervention?

Only of you disagree with their opinions. Them mods are a bunch of dyed in the wool campaigners.

Sorry mods. :D

Darcy was interviewed on SEN re rising star nom. It's fairly standard stuff about settling in, time playing for Magpies, first game, AO. Ken has given him the nickname Hank, apparently from the film Me, myself and Irene, because he has a split personality, i.e white line fever. He speaks well.

You can find the audio here: http://www.sen.com.au/audio

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back