List Mgmt. Pick 56 - Dougal Howard 199cm KPF (err KPD) ... maybe KPF

Remove this Banner Ad

The question has returned.

Key forward or key back?

Don't tell me the coaches aren't contemplating the same quandary, as they most certainly would be.

He seems a lock to be a 200 game CHB and possible AA, but does he have more value up forward and could he really become a consistent contributor up forward at AFL level because he absolutely has all the tools?

What do people think?

Bloody hell his marking display around the ground and up forward was outstanding. Was almost as if he has glue on his hands!

That's what the forward line needs!

The question has returned.

Key forward or key back?

Don't tell me the coaches aren't contemplating the same quandary, as they most certainly would be.

He seems a lock to be a 200 game CHB and possible AA, but does he have more value up forward and could he really become a consistent contributor up forward at AFL level because he absolutely has all the tools?

What do people think?

Not a hard question at all.

AFL standard key defenders grow on trees. AFL standard key forwards do not.

Play him forward.

We haven't had a lead up forward with genuine aerobic ability and contested hands that good since Tredrea. Play him forward.

Doogs and Charlie up forward would allow Marshall to be an actual 3rd tall. Scary to think what a confident Todd playing on the 3rd best defender could offer us...

I saw him kick 8 goals against West a couple of seasons back and he looked like a natural forward that day.

He certainly plays well in defence but he seems to be more assured in his decision-making as a forward. Uses his pace to get to contests and attacks the mark. Doesn't need to think about whether to spoil or go for the grab. That pace is a weapon for a 200cm KPF, and he is a decent kick for goal too.

Has a bit of nastiness which doesn't go astray.

Bloody hell his marking display around the ground and up forward was outstanding. Was almost as if he has glue on his hands!

Yeh he's a forward no doubt...it seemed to come more natural for him.
A forward line featuring Doogs and Dixon and we're onto something..

I wrote in the Marshall thread last night that the first 4 games I saw him play for Port in 2015 were as a CHF/FF in the internal trial, NAB cup game on TV, a Maggies trial and Rd 1 game against Norwood at the Parade and he gave a contest every game he was involved in play up forward.

When he came back from his ACL he was played back partly to allow him to run at the ball rather than twisting and turning all the time.

Leave him forward.

Definitely forward. Looks natural there and suits our list management better. If he played back this week, our tall forwards would have been a 31 year old resting ruck and a 32 year old wingman. Dixon is 29 next year, and who knows how we'll come back from his broken leg, and Marshall has shown he's much better when there's another KFP taking the attention.

Considering Ken's disdain for developing key forwards, we're pretty lucky we've accidentally got 40 odd games into one by sneaking him into the team as a defender for a few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he plays closer to his top level when he can play with instinct. You can do this occasionally as a backman but more often as a forward. He plays forward for mine.

He keeps improving his marking he will be the new Peter Knights swing man.

Would be nice if he becomes a Fraser Gehrig type swing man, or more a Gehrig career change man and can kick 100.

When he debuted some of his tap work as a ruck was excellent for such a raw player. As a forward his craft needs work but his athleticism allows him to make up for that. If we are going to play ‘chaos ball’, Dougal is well suited to this, like hipwood at brisbane. Marshall isn’t suited to chaos ball but the combination of the two should work well.

Dixon and Howard can alternate FF/Ruck and CHF. Marshall plays as that third tall type.

Houston, Lienert, Howard, Jonas, Hartlett, Broadbent, Bonner, Clurey - have all shown that defenders can be easily found in the draft or trained to fill a role.

Forwards are harder to find, harder to train and more important than defenders. If Dougal has shown good promise as a forward, then he stays forward until he proves he can’t do it or retires.

I've liked him back and was happy to keep him down there, but his marking yesterday was absolutely off-tap. Jeremy McGovern like up-front. When a key forward is doing that it completely changes the confidence of the side, so it's pretty hard to say put him back now until/if Dixon gets back to his best footy. Even then it's a pretty compelling threat to have them down there and hopefully Marshall or Watts offering the lead up role creating space for them.

So if he does go back, I want him to be deployed as a McGovern / Chad offensive style role rather than as a lock down.

He's a very good key defender, but he has all the tools to be an elite key forward. Not only that, but he has immense lateral quickness and is able to apply plenty of pressure on the ground ball.

Howard, Dixon and Marshall should be our trio of key forwards for at least the next 18 months. The only main question I have is whether you can play 3 key forwards AND keep two rucks in the side.

For a guy that not long ago would just punch everything in sight.... amazing hands. I would love to see a video of all the grabs he took yesterday as there weren't many easy ones. Was surprised to find only 4 were contested.

For a guy that not long ago would just punch everything in sight.... amazing hands. I would love to see a video of all the grabs he took yesterday as there weren't many easy ones. Was surprised to find only 4 were contested.
That was because he's not a natural defender, otherwise he would of gone for marks in a significant if not majority of times he made those spoils.

That was because he's not a natural defender, otherwise he would of gone for marks in a significant if not majority of times he made those spoils.
I felt it was a confidence issue but perhaps you are saying the same. Either way he has every reason to be confident enough now if not before.

I think we bite the bullet and keep him forward for the rest of the season now. Give him a proper crack because the pay off could be huge. If it doesn't work out then he can head back to defence over the off season. I don't think this will wreck him the way it did Jacko who never recovered from his prolonged ruck stint.

I think it's important to consider him a KPF, so Ken can banish him as soon as the opposition kick 3 in a row.

Considering Ken's disdain for developing key forwards, we're pretty lucky we've accidentally got 40 odd games into one by sneaking him into the team as a defender for a few years.[/QUOTE]

Thats the answer! Marshall to replace Howard at chb

Remove this Banner Ad

Back