List Mgmt. Pick 56 - Dougal Howard 199cm KPF (err KPD) ... maybe KPF

Remove this Banner Ad

Also currently in the alf player ratings team of the year (to date)

That will be distorted by a move forward, some goals for a defender will be very highly rated.

Actually went backwards this week.

It rates intercept marks very highly so he did well there in his first 6 games.

I think he may have been top 40 or 20 in comp prior to switching forward.
Wow, even better then!

I just love his closing speed when the ball hits the ground, sadly we have bugger all depth to stop 2+ metre giants without Howard down back
This is my only concern with shifting Howard forward. We have plenty of coverage of 'normal' KPF's, but not the 197/198+. 'Plays taller' only takes you so far. IF going forward it's going to be some combination of Howard, Frampton, Marshall and resting Ruck up forward then recruiting a 196cm+ KPD becomes a priority. We don't need desperately another 'shorter' KPD. And we could delist 5 HBF's and still have enough.

In the short term I'd still put him forward with one of Frampton, Marshall or Dixon and only swing back if we're getting killed by a 195+ opposition KPF.

Every club cries out for a player like Howard up forward and we're indecisive about where he plays.

Dixon, Howard and Marshall up forward in the future is super tasty. None of them are one dimensional, none of them are slow, all of them are agile and skillful.

Put Robby, Rozzee, Butters, Sammy, Mots and/or Farrell around them and it's a real headache for our opposition.

This is my only concern with shifting Howard forward. We have plenty of coverage of 'normal' KPF's, but not the 197/198+. 'Plays taller' only takes you so far. IF going forward it's going to be some combination of Howard, Frampton, Marshall and resting Ruck up forward then recruiting a 196cm+ KPD becomes a priority. We don't need desperately another 'shorter' KPD. And we could delist 5 HBF's and still have enough.

In the short term I'd still put him forward with one of Frampton, Marshall or Dixon and only swing back if we're getting killed by a 195+ opposition KPF.
It might be time to swing Billy or Marshall back for the Magpies?

Could be good for their development.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Billy has already been swung from the ruck into the forward line. That is his best position and Ken just needs to play him consistently and not drop him after one average game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marshall I see as the long term Westhoff replacement able to run up and down the ground and drift forward to be an extra tall stretching the defense. My caveat on this is, like Westhoff, he shouldn't then be included in any count of KPP's we are playing, as an excuse not to play 2 KPF's AND the resting ruck up forward.

Howard, Marshall and Dixon are all capable of covering ground without sacrificing everything smalls are meant to provide to the side. To some degree I agree with Ken that Marshall is a 'tall small'. However I then take that a 'tall small' beats a 'small small', so play him instead of one of the 'small smalls' and get the best of all worlds, not instead of Frampton or Howard (forward).

Howard and Dixon can both play the forward/ruck role and the CHF, get up the ground, role. Both are athletic and tall. Play them both. Marshall as the third tall. Westhoff and Ryder can both retire.

Stuff the defence. Defenders are much easier to come by. And if Howard struggles up front after a season, then switch him back. Frampton doesn’t have Howard’s or Dixon’s athleticism, so he can stay as back up.

Stuff the defence. Defenders are much easier to come by. And if Howard struggles up front after a season, then switch him back. Frampton doesn’t have Howard’s or Dixon’s athleticism, so he can stay as back up.

Exactly. My nephew said to me "but he's so good down back". I asked him, if we had Buddy Franklin and found out he was the best CHB in the league when played there, would you play him there? Don't *en think so!

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but this can be risky. Carlton nearly stuffed Weitering's career by doing this.

People underestimate how much of football is mental. Doogs down back right now finally has the courage to start flying for marks that last year would've been spoils. If he goes up forward and struggles, then who says that confidence will still be there if we then decide to switch him back again?

PLAY DOUGAL FORARD.

PLAY DOUGAL FORWARD.

PLAY DOUGAL FORWARD!

unless Marshall becomes a behemoth and we need Dougal down back temporarily.

In 5 quarters against the crows in the last 8 weeks that Dougal has played as a forward we have kicked 21 goals 13 behinds vs 8 goals 16 behinds.

We don't need him down back. Dougal playing foward makes Dixon better. Dougal playing forward makes Westhoff better.

It's a no brainer. Keep Dougal forward!

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but this can be risky. Carlton nearly stuffed Weitering's career by doing this.

People underestimate how much of football is mental. Doogs down back right now finally has the courage to start flying for marks that last year would've been spoils. If he goes up forward and struggles, then who says that confidence will still be there if we then decide to switch him back again?

This is fair comment. There was that game where Doogs was playing from behind but he’s figured that out now. It’s up to each individual how “mental” they make their footy and I’m loving Doog’s aggression at the moment. He’s made his football mental, literally. As opposed to over thinking it, which I’m not sure is his thing ;)

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

PLAY DOUGAL FORARD.

PLAY DOUGAL FORWARD.

PLAY DOUGAL FORWARD!

unless Marshall becomes a behemoth and we need Dougal down back temporarily.

In 5 quarters against the crows in the last 8 weeks that Dougal has played as a forward we have kicked 21 goals 13 behinds vs 8 goals 16 behinds.

We don't need him down back. Dougal playing foward makes Dixon better. Dougal playing forward makes Westhoff better.

It's a no brainer. Keep Dougal forward!

I’d go as far as saying Marshall will never make it as a Full Forward.

Play Howard as Full Forward and Marshall should be developed as CHB, Westhoff’s replacement on the wing or Dixon’s backup at CHF.

Howard has the mongrel Marshall simply doesn’t have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back