List Mgmt. Pick 56 - Dougal Howard 199cm KPF (err KPD) ... maybe KPF

Remove this Banner Ad

Strange that they took a player who had gone rogue and made him captain. I mean you could argue that they were just trying to encourage him, but wouldn't that piss off the rest of the playing group even further under your theory?

Stranger still that the coaching panel kept their jobs after handing overall strategy control to the players in the 7th year under the current coach.

I'm not pointing to wins or losses. I know we're good enough to win, otherwise i'd be less angry. I'm pointing to the complete mystery that is what Port Adelaide side is going to turn up each week. A handfull of players had what could be described as a consistent season. The same could be said in 2018. The same could be said in 2017.

You told us at the end of 2018 that it was Polec and Wingard who were the players who were divisive and the cause of our inconsistency. Now it's Howard. Who do you reckon you'll blame next year?
Polec and Winguard were divisive - Dougs was just a little bit lazy. They made him captain hoping it would give him a boost and it didn't work. Dougs is a beautiful guy but there were issues with his effort.

Polec and Winguard were divisive - Dougs was just a little bit lazy. They made him captain hoping it would give him a boost and it didn't work. Dougs is a beautiful guy but there were issues with his effort.

I disagree, I don't think Howard was a lazy player.

But if he is, what message does it send to the playing group when they make a lazy player captain? A lazy player should be playing in the SANFL, not captaining the club.

Rewarding s**t football for a long time is a hallmark of the Koch/Hinkley era. This isn't a one off. This is how we do things.

You know it was stated that the players themselves came up with how they wanted to play in 2019 during last year's preseason? Ken asked them what sort of football they liked playing, and they said 'Like this'. It was a collaborative effort. That's why Ken said he was going to back them in after the loss against Richmond.

If Howard didn't want to play that way, he's basically giving the finger to his teammates.

You point to Richmond, I'll point to West Coast.

You point to GWS, I'll point to Geelong.

You point to North Melbourne, I'll point to Essendon.

For every dumb loss, we had a good win. 11 wins, 11 losses.

The problems exist because if you've got one player in the team that says 'I'm sorry, I'll do it right next time' and continues to play a different way when you give him encouragement after encouragement, it's going to affect the mentality of everyone else on the team who is thinking 'Why is this guy being persisted with for so long?'

That's what I had an issue with this year - the amount of time it took for Hinkley to bite the bullet and drop a player when you could see a poor performance coming from a mile away. For mine, two poor games is enough to be out of the team.

But there's a difference between lack of confidence through inexperience and point blank refusal to play a certain way. I saw Byrne-Jones, Bonner, Burton, Clurey and Hartlett all have good to great games in defence this year when they could trust that the players behind them would cover. Even Howard had a good game against West Coast.

How could the defender in front of Howard push up the ground when he's unsure that Howard is going to be in a position to cover his man when he does so? That's the question I want answered.
Letting this group of players decide what type of gamelan they want is just a preemptive cop out from a bloke on massive coin that clearly doesn't know what he is doing. This isn't 2004 Port Adelaide. I can't think of too many of this playing group who are likely to go on to any meaningful coaching careers. I wouldn't trust most of them to pick their own lunch orders
And if it's true that the playing group decided on the game plan then why the rumors of our only listed premiership player being dropped after calling out the coach on his BS? (Yeah, yeah it's a rumor and I have no proof I know) Surely if Ken was that keen on the input of the playing group he would have said thanks for your input Scott, I'll take that on board instead of enjoy the SANFL while Ryder continues to play completely bog average in your position

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I disagree, I don't think Howard was a lazy player.

But if he is, what message does it send to the playing group when they make a lazy player captain? A lazy player should be playing in the SANFL, not captaining the club.

Rewarding s**t football for a long time is a hallmark of the Koch/Hinkley era. This isn't a one off. This is how we do things.
Oh haven't you heard? We make everyone captain now, instead of half captains we're going quarter captains this year. One for each quarter of the match.

Janus, for a Pagan, you quote the Bible a lot!

Oh I’ve studied all sorts of religious texts and belief systems. They are all perfectly fine as the base textbook to the journey.

In the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, the letters INRI on the sign above Christ on the cross don’t stand for “iesus nazarenus rex iudaeorum” but "Igne Natura Renovatur Integra" which means "By fire, nature is perfectly renewed."

It’s like with Kabbalah - they teach that there was always the common meaning of things that was taught to outsiders, but then the hidden, occult meaning was taught to a select few.

I’m reading The Secret of the Golden Flower at the moment, and one of the things it talks about is that the journey to self awareness is a solitary one...which is similar to the narrow and cramped road that Christ talked about. It also says that if you meet Buddha on your journey, kill him...which is eerily similar to the warning that Christ gave about not believing people that say he is in one place or the other.

The Hermeticist believes in a personal journey of self-discovery and mastery, and that a lot, if not all religious beliefs were merely designed as a tool for the uninitiated to learn the qualities they would need to progress to the higher levels of learning - like how a child is told fairy tales to learn morality. It doesn’t mean the lessons aren’t valid anymore, it just means you’ve progressed to a point where you can accept the fact that if you’re looking for god, he’s found within, not without.

As the Corpus Hermeticum says “If you don’t think like god, how can you possibly know god? For like attracts like.”

See? I quote that last bit quite often too :)

Oh I’ve studied all sorts of religious texts and belief systems. They are all perfectly fine as the base textbook to the journey.

In the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, the letters INRI on the sign above Christ on the cross don’t stand for “iesus nazarenus rex iudaeorum” but "Igne Natura Renovatur Integra" which means "By fire, nature is perfectly renewed."

It’s like with Kabbalah - they teach that there was always the common meaning of things that was taught to outsiders, but then the hidden, occult meaning was taught to a select few.

I’m reading The Secret of the Golden Flower at the moment, and one of the things it talks about is that the journey to self awareness is a solitary one...which is similar to the narrow and cramped road that Christ talked about. It also says that if you meet Buddha on your journey, kill him...which is eerily similar to the warning that Christ gave about not believing people that say he is in one place or the other.

The Hermeticist believes in a personal journey of self-discovery and mastery, and that a lot, if not all religious beliefs were merely designed as a tool for the uninitiated to learn the qualities they would need to progress to the higher levels of learning - like how a child is told fairy tales to learn morality. It doesn’t mean the lessons aren’t valid anymore, it just means you’ve progressed to a point where you can accept the fact that if you’re looking for god, he’s found within, not without.

As the Corpus Hermeticum says “If you don’t think like god, how can you possibly know god? For like attracts like.”

See? I quote that last bit quite often too :)

Succinctly, Sack Hinkley

Janus can you please provide me with this weeks powerball numbers?

thx

If you'd bothered to look. He did on page 36.

1573395031245-png.777476

In the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, .......
It is called "syncretism". It is quite common around here:

You see it in many countries. I lived in the Solomon Islands for 8 years, and the Catholics there were more Pagan then the Devil-worshipping Heathens!

Talking about devils and demons ... We have to figure to a way to exorcise the one that currently has control of the club as head coach! Maybe Janus in his quest for the Golden Dawn can conjure up a Theurgy spell after he makes contact with the Secret Chiefs. Could be a way to rid us of this twisted hold this demon Hinkley has over the club!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players are allowed to be lazy under Hinkley, it’s far to common a theme. Doogs has more then enough ability to take his game to another level under a new coach.
Frampton too? I really fear we're gunna regret losing these 2 big time. I feel sick and really angry over losing these guys.
The better part of a combined 10 years on our list that amounts to a down grade from pick 10 to 12 and a future 4th rounder.
Where do I throw up? The character assassinations on both Doogs=lazy and Billy=closet crow just makes a horrible situation worse.

Frampton too? I really fear we're gunna regret losing these 2 big time. I feel sick and really angry over losing these guys.
The better part of a combined 10 years on our list that amounts to a down grade from pick 10 to 12 and a future 4th rounder.
Where do I throw up? The character assassinations on both Doogs=lazy and Billy=closet crow just makes a horrible situation worse.
Nah, Billy can * off. I will boo the traitor.

Nah, Billy can fu** off. I will boo the traitor.
I wouldn't call a player that isn't getting picked to play and may have been on the verge of being delisted next off-season a traitor.

I wouldn't call a player that isn't getting picked to play and may have been on the verge of being delisted next off-season a traitor.
Yea I mean if I was a fringe player not getting a game & only offered a year while some other mob offered me a multiple year deal I'd be on my bike too it's logical.
Most of the blokes on our list wouldn't have been Port supporters growing up that's a certainty.

Surely any Port player that goes to the Crows is a traitor! Esp if after leaving, he rabbits on about always having wanted to be a Crow!

As much as Hinkley didnt give him opportunity, he really was only ever borderline selectable.

IMO it is very much "good riddance."

Frampton is/was a closet Crow though, that one is true.

He could have stayed and earned his spot and a contract. instead he chose to give them the 'one up' on us...partially because he supports them.

* HIM.

Surely any Port player that goes to the Crows is a traitor! Esp if after leaving, he rabbits on about always having wanted to be a Crow!

As much as Hinkley didnt give him opportunity, he really was only ever borderline selectable.

IMO it is very much "good riddance."
The club also ticked the trade off rather than offering him to Freo or sending him to the draft, so as far as I'm concerned we've got double-agents running the club. Trading him for a 4th round pick to a rival in goodwill doesn't benefit us enough.

He could have stayed and earned his spot and a contract. instead he chose to give them the 'one up' on us...partially because he supports them.

fu** HIM.
No out of contract fringer in the league is knocking back a 3 year deal elsewhere lol

fu** HIM.
Why on earth would he stay at Ports while Hinkley is still head coach?

Good luck to him at the Camry Crows. Can't blame a professional sportsman from taking dollars and job security. If superhero coach Hinkley couldn't get the best out of him what hope does he have under Nicks.

Why on earth would he stay at Ports while Hinkley is still head coach?

Good luck to him at the Camry Crows. Can't blame a professional sportsman from taking dollars and job security. If superhero coach Hinkley couldn't get the best out of him what hope does he have under Nicks.
He went to a club with no coach!

Ah, i see your point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back