List Mgmt. Pick 56 - Dougal Howard 199cm KPF (err KPD) ... maybe KPF

Remove this Banner Ad

He is so agile and quick for his size. He will be only better for this game, first AFL game since his knee.

I know everyone is calling for him forward and don't get me wrong, I think he would do well there, but I really saw something in him today down back. It actually reminded me a bit of Rance at times. The size, the explosive speed and the leap. Could be a real unstoppable weapon back there.

He's such a great prospect wherever we play him. Structurally, the team needs another tall forward right now, but I really can see Dougs becoming a top tier defender too after what I saw today. Could be another pinch hitter in the ruck too. Just great to see him in the side after his knee injury, hope he sees out the year in the AFL forward or back.

Listening to Ken's presser, it sounds like they really want him down back. Said something about his speed and ability is something we have been lacking down back :( You just have to wonder how we plan to fix our forward mess then.
It's Marshall... He is the forward we are after. Chb is Dougals spot, clearly. We are all desperate for that second key forward but the much better option up there is Marshall.

Played really well down back but bloody hell we're stacked for KPD's so much so Hombsch & Jacko regular best 22 players will find it hard to get back in whilst we're so obviously lacking a legit second tall forward.

Dougal could so easily take some heat off Charlie who for the most part of today was double & triple teamed again like groundhog day.

Any other coach in the league would be playing a second tall like Howard alongside Dixon but instead when the game is close we drop Westhoff down back to guard space when we already have the super solid Jonas, Clurey & Houston marshalling (pardon the pun) the backline.

Dougal might very well become the great versatile swing man but he's also proven he can kick bags of goals & is agile enough to be that 200cm lightning quick forward to create headaches & give us that marking target whilst Charlie is further up the ground.

Right now where our season is at (precariously looking at not giving the finals that much of a shake) if we're not playing Marshall or Eddy Doogz has to play forward for mine, that goal was everything we want from the second KPF this side has been lacking.

I couldn't watch today, how was Doogs in defence? I know he has played there a bit at SANFL level but I remember him showing some really raw but positive ability as a forward/ruck last year. More forward or defender? Good disposal?

On a side note, Hombsch and Trengove are looking increasingly expendable. And do we throw Austin forward as I can't see him getting a game with Clurey, Jonas, Houston, Howard, Trengove and Hombsch all hanging around for at least another three years?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bassett must have much more sway with Ken than Lade does.
Lade must surely be begging for some more tall options.
Ken plays musical chairs with our small forwards and fails in turning Jacko into a tall option to help Dix out while our back line has been further bolstered by two would-be forwards in Houston and Howard.
Ken calls it flexibility but we don't have a chance to settle into positions and trust each other. and know where to kick. The antithesis of our neighbours.
Meanwhile Eddy languishes in the SANFL and Frampton doesn't get a look in.
Ken's such a nice bloke but his coaching and personnel decisions, I really don't get.
It's frustrating as we appear to have the options for a solid forward line but they're left playing in the SANFL as our season falls away rapidly and we all scratch our heads.

Last edited:
I just watched the press conference and Kenneth isn't sure if Dougs is a forward or a defender. YAY!
Kenneth isn't sure if we need a forward line. :D

Last edited:
He looked really composed down back. His knee injury doesn't seem to have affected his confidence in his pace or ability to switch direction. You have to love his aggression and competitiveness. He should be an automatic selection from now on. Has the hallmarks of an on-field leader.

He spoke at the Club 1870 event a few weeks back and Barry Curtin tried to stir him up about his suspension from the Centrals game. Doogie said there wasn't much in it and he was surprised to get a game. Then he added, well the guy didn't come back on the ground so that didn't help. Barry had some fun with that. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back