List Mgmt. Pick 59 - Welcome Mitchell Crowden

Remove this Banner Ad

Dude needs to lose some weight.
Still the guy recruit him to play for Stuart , if you know better than him I got nothing to said .
You and I are just armchair opinion , he actually paid him to play for their club

Last edited:
Key take aways;
* Works as a lawn mower - Sandi will love that!
* Shows bulls/cows - Ballas will love that!
* Bases his game on Dusty - the fans will love that!

Lots to like about this bloke. Hope he fits in with the other boys. He’ll certainly give great effort - and has great athletisism and skills to go with it.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...e/news-story/e1f5fe5ec9b2241fd40485dc79b5f1d5

Sturt’s Mitch Crowden has overcome disappointment of being overlooked for the Draft Combine to make his AFL case

Andrew Capel, The Advertiser

November 8, 2017 8:15am

MITCH Crowden hears the doubters loud and clear.

“They think I’ve already developed a man’s body, that I’m not particularly quick and that I don’t have as much improvement in me as some other kids,’’ Crowden says about reasons why he was not invited to the AFL Draft Combine.

“Maybe they look at that a bit too much rather than runs on the board.’’

Crowden, who played the opening nine league games for premier Sturt this year, does not hide his disappointment at being overlooked for the four-day camp at Melbourne's Etihad Stadium.

“I thought I had a pretty good season, a strong national (under-18) championships and did enough to get an invite, but unfortunately that wasn’t the case,’’ he said.

Draft hopeful Mitch Crowden is put through his paces at the AFL's state screening session at Prince Alfred College. Picture: Tom Huntley

Instead the 18-year-old midfielder, who has long had his heart set on playing in the AFL, set about silencing his critics at the SA Combine in Adelaide.

With a point to prove, he stepped up to the plate.

Crowden finished in the top five of all six events held in front of recruiters from the 18 AFL clubs and surprised by finishing equal-first with West Adelaide’s Josh Smithson in the 20m sprint with a time of 2.92 seconds, edging Glenelg’s lightning-quick Dom Barry.

The strong-bodied, 175cm, 86kg Crowden also won the standing vertical jump with a leap of 81cm.

“I was expecting to go okay but to get the 20m result I did and some of the jumps results was very pleasing, so I was super happy,’’ he said.

Crowden, who hails from Adelaide Hills club Meadows, hopes clubs take a look at his body of work rather than pigeonhole him as a player who matured early and doesn’t have a big upside.

The draft is full of those stories.

Richmond premiership hero and fellow Croweater Jack Graham fell to the Tigers at pick 53 last year before starring in the grand final in just his fifth game.

Sydney star Luke Parker dropped to number 40 in 2010 and Adelaide’s All-Australian half-back Rory Laird slipped to the rookie draft in 2012.

Sturt high performance manager Chris Trapp is convinced Crowden has the weapons, desire and professionalism to make it in the AFL.

He described him as an “old-school footballer’’.

“These days a lot of AFL recruiters are looking for athleticism and height but with what Mitch can do I’ve got no doubt he can step up to the level,’' Trapp said.

“He’s driven, super-impressive and has a penetrating left-foot kick which is a real weapon but it’s his inside work, his contested ball wins, tackling and aggression that sets him apart.’’

Crowden, who was an emergency for Sturt's league grand final win against the Port Magpies, played in two premierships in seven days this year — at under-18 and reserves level.

A Richmond supporter, his favourite player is Brownlow and Norm Smith Medallist Dustin Martin, who he says he tries to model his game on.

“He’s obviously bigger than me (187cm) but I try to combine the inside game with breaking the lines like he does,’’ Crowden said.

As for his height, Crowden points to Brisbane star Dayne Zorko, who also is 175cm, as an example of the type of strong, explosive player he could become.

“I’ve got a naturally heavy build but once I get into a professional system and don’t have to work another job I’m sure I’ll be able to quickly get up to speed with the fitness requirements,’’ he said.

Mitch Crowden celebrates a goal with South Australian teammate Connor Rozee against Vic Country at the U18 AFL Championships at Simonds Stadium in July. Picture: Michael Dodge/Getty Images

Crowden, who has been interviewed by North Melbourne, Sydney, Essendon, Melbourne and Fremantle, knows all about hard work.

Since recording a strong ATAR score at Prince Alfred College last year, he has combined football with work as an agricultural labourer.

“There’s been long hours of physical work which probably took a toll on me at the end of the season but having done the work I think it will stand me in good stead in the future,’’ Crowden said.

Away from football, Crowden and his family’s passion is dairy cattle and trying to prepare prizewinners at the Royal Adelaide Show.

“Our family used to own a dairy farm and milk about 120 cows but now we have about 30 and are fortunate to have had multiple champions,’’ he said.

Last edited:

Key take aways;
* Works as a lawn mower - Sandi will love that!
* Shows bulls/cows - Ballas will love that!
* Bases his game on Dusty - the fans will love that!

Lots to like about this bloke. Hope he fits in with the other boys. He’ll certainly give great effort - and has great athletisism and skills to go with it.

Best interview in the history of history, what a lad! New favourite player - hands off in the buddy draft, jerks... :mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very keen to hear from people that have watched him play live. From the highlights he looks are good as any of the top 7 - 20 midfielders. Interviews all say he is a good bloke and hard worker, so almost doesn’t make sense for him to be such a low pick.

Very keen to hear from people that have watched him play live. From the highlights he looks are good as any of the top 7 - 20 midfielders. Interviews all say he is a good bloke and hard worker, so almost doesn’t make sense for him to be such a low pick.

From article posted above:

“They think I’ve already developed a man’s body, that I’m not particularly quick and that I don’t have as much improvement in me as some other kids,’’ Crowden says about reasons why he was not invited to the AFL Draft Combine.

Usual kind of stuff that leads to a player being overlooked.

Sean Darcy will be able to swap alot of teenage chore tales, dairy farming.

Ballas will just brag that his cattle are better breeds !!!!. It'll be on for one and all.
We are potentially only one lad short of a full country midfield.

Cobden taps it down to Meadows who fires out a handball to Lake Grace who drives through two defenders and passes back inside to <country town> in the clear who kicks a bullet inside 50 and hits his man lace out...

This guy has the best highlights package of any recruit this year - including our picks 2 and 5. Seriously, check it out - is kind of jaw dropping. Absolutely no f##king idea how he slipped to pick 59! Is it only because he is 175cm??? He is explosive, a brilliant kick, and has tested in the top 5 in the Adelaide combine for 3 different athletic pursuits. Also, his attitude is excellent and will be a Ross favourite from day 1.
Huge call but am more confident he will be a 100 game player for Freo than Brayshaw and Cerra combined.
Inspired draft choice!

We are potentially only one lad short of a full country midfield.

Cobden taps it down to Meadows who fires out a handball to Lake Grace who drives through two defenders and passes back inside to <country town> in the clear who kicks a bullet inside 50 and hits his man lace out...
Tucker is from Horsham - another country lad!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back