News Pick 6 - Jackson Macrae

Remove this Banner Ad

From the AFL website:
Versatile medium midfielder who can also go back or forward. Big improver this year and is a long left-foot kick. Shows great courage in the air and at ground level in his attack on ball. Kicked six goals against Tasmania in an outstanding performance and averaged 19.4 disposals at 78.4 percent efficiency in the Under-18 Championships this year.

didn't seem to enthusiastic to get drafted by us, but neither did O'Rourke to GWS
but hope he settles in as he looks like a really special player

Looks like a very good get. I was hoping he'd somehow slip through the system and come Freo's way, but that obviously didn't happen. Then again, maybe I only like him because apparently he looks just like me?

didn't seem to enthusiastic to get drafted by us, but neither did O'Rourke to GWS

I think he was nervous its kind of hard for a 17-18 yr to have that spotlight some like Stringer shine and others
Well.....

Best of luck to Jack, Mcdonalds might ask us for royalties with all the Macca's at our club.

I think thats just the sort of kid he is, also nerves would play a big part.

If he is mates with Hrovat that is good then. Stringer on the other hand said it was best case scenario to get to us, I like this Stringer guy :p

Anyway the more times I watch this kids highlights the more I like him. His ability to just weave his way out of any situation is simply amazing. So many times throughout that video there is 2, 3 even 4 players trying to tackle him and he just makes it look so ridiculously easy the way he gets through them. Might not have the sheer strength as Stringer or pace as Mayes but he still manages to work around that and he just looks very special the way he plays. I can finally see what all the hype was about him from some people, KM and Zgope in particular. (seems only some people rate him but the ones that do rate him extremely highly!)

Also a good thing about him is you could say he has as high a ceiling as just about anyone in the draft and his rate of improvement is great so if he keeps that up there is a real possibility he becomes one of the best from the draft. Compliments our midfield beautifully!

So excited about this guy. he has been my boy for a very long time, provided he puts on weight i reckon he can do special special things in this competition. he has all the time in the world to hurt the opposition and he's just about untacklable. hoping the transition is smooth

Best of luck to Jack, Mcdonalds might ask us for royalties with all the Macca's at our club.
I think Richmond would be higher on their preference list - they picked McBean, McIntosh and McDonough. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is just the very quiet type outside of the Football field, hence he is already one of my favourites at the club, simular to me. I am a very very quiet person as well, but once on the sporting field, I am very loud.

I think he was just uncomfortable being in the spotlight, on camera.

He is just the very quiet type outside of the Football field, hence he is already one of my favourites at the club. I am a very very quiet person as well, but once on the sporting field, I am very loud.

I think he was just uncomfortbale being in the spotlight, on camera.
Pretty much me, too - in real life I'm the kid who talks to his friends a lot but is fairly shy around new people...but on the tennis court I'm the douchebag screaming out words of encouragement when I hit a good shot and berating myself when I hit a bad one. It's definitely the way to go. :thumbsu:

Pretty much me, too - in real life I'm the kid who talks to his friends a lot but is fairly shy around new people...but on the tennis court I'm the douchebag screaming out words of encouragement when I hit a good shot and berating myself when I hit a bad one. It's definitely the way to go.

Haha, go us quiet people :thumbsu::)

To be honest, if it was not for sport, I would probably never leave the house and be a hermit as I am not not that social. Mum and Dad would literally have to lock the front door to keep me out for long periods haha. Chatty with friends, very shy with new people.

Sport practically brings out a confident and loud me, even just training or mucking around.

Really wishing Macrae the best, and hoping that he develops in to a good and consistant player for us. As well as having a long career.

If Igloo has dibs on Stringer, I got dibs on this one ;)

Of all our picks I sense Macrae might be the hardest to settle in at the WO. He needs a good buddy/mentor from among the established players - maybe Griff, Cooney or Murph?

No special knowledge. Just a hunch from what I've read about the different recruits. Not saying he'll be a major problem, just that the others seem more readily suited and settled. In saying that I have no doubt the recruiting team have done their homework and looked him straight in the eye so I reckon he'll be a good type to have once he's settled. It might take the best part of a season to click, that's all. McCartney's approach and style will be good for him.

I'm still very pleased we picked him. When I heard both Toumpas and O'Rourke were gone my preferred two were Macrae and Stringer.

No special knowledge. Just a hunch from what I've read about the different recruits. Not saying he'll be a major problem, just that the others seem more readily suited and settled. In saying that I have no doubt the recruiting team have done their homework and looked him straight in the eye so I reckon he'll be a good type to have once he's settled. It might take the best part of a season to click, that's all. McCartney's approach and style will be good for him.

I'm still very pleased we picked him. When I heard both Toumpas and O'Rourke were gone my preferred two were Macrae and Stringer.

Thanks. Fair enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back