List Mgmt. Pick 65 - Welcome Thomas North

Remove this Banner Ad

I usually keep up with Freo's draftees but North really flew under the radar.

From what I understand, he's more a role player then anything else. Does he have any traits that could be described as elite?

From what I understand, he's more a role player then anything else. Does he have any traits that could be described as elite?

Back luck mate. Your time on this board is over. You are just as much a s**t as the moment you arrived.
Not a good quote.

He was pick 65...you'd just be happy to get someone who can contribute, they don't need to be a star. Don't underestimate a good role player.

Also, than.

Back luck mate. Your time on this board is over. You are just as much a s**t as the moment you arrived.
Not a good quote.

What? I know I got banned but it wasn't exactly a serious insult. I don't think I've done enough to deserve a permenant one.

He was pick 65...you'd just be happy to get someone who can contribute, they don't need to be a star. Don't underestimate a good role player.

Also, than.

I'm not underestimating him, I'm just wondering if he has any traits that could allow him to surpass a player like Hutchings. Some of those games he's played are pretty damn good though, so it looks promising.

Oh btw Righteo, sorry if my PMs have come off poorly. They were in good faith and I apologise if it's annoyed you at all.

Last edited:
I'm not underestimating him, I'm just wondering if he has any traits that could allow him to surpass a player like Hutchings. Some of those games he's played are pretty damn good though, so it looks promising.
He's been at an AFL club for less than a month - a few years too soon to judge either way. I'd give him as much chance (or more) as Brayden Ainsworth and Hamish Brayshaw who you guys picked up. Nothing spectacular of note for any of them, all look potential solid role player types but things can change. I'd personally pick North over those two because he looks a bit more dangerous on the outside with his penetrating left. Then again I have never understood why Ainsworth was rated so highly by some so I may be biased. Think Banfield is another in this 'type' and I'd give him just as much chance as the other three as well which is decent for a rookie pickup.

He was drafted onto a senior list three years younger than Hutchings, without Mark's Captaincy and All Australian selections during the U18s.

Sure, but it still doesn't mean he'll surpass Hutchings career wise, so that's why I'm asking about traits. I guess a better comparison would be Kurt Mutimer, who is elite in some aspects but hasn't yet put it all together. Do you think North has the ability to surpass him?

He's been at an AFL club for less than a month - a few years too soon to judge either way. I'd give him as much chance (or more) as Brayden Ainsworth and Hamish Brayshaw who you guys picked up. Nothing spectacular of note for any of them, all look potential solid role player types but things can change. I'd personally pick North over those two because he looks a bit more dangerous on the outside with his penetrating left. Then again I have never understood why Ainsworth was rated so highly by some so I may be biased. Think Banfield is another in this 'type' and I'd give him just as much chance as the other three as well which is decent for a rookie pickup.

Ainsworth was the AA Centreman and leading clearance winner in U18s, so I don't see North having those credentials already.

Does North have a good outside game? I guess he could excell for you especially given your midfield balance.

Sure, but it still doesn't mean he'll surpass Hutchings career wise, so that's why I'm asking about traits. I guess a better comparison would be Kurt Mutimer, who is elite in some aspects but hasn't yet put it all together. Do you think North has the ability to surpass him?

Ainsworth was the AA Centreman and leading clearance winner in U18s, so I don't see North having those credentials already.

Does North have a good outside game? I guess he could excell for you especially given your midfield balance.
http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/video/2017-11-24/pick-65-tom-north

Like I said, I don't get why he was rated so highly. He kind of Bradbury'd into the AA team - lots of big names had niggles that meant the u18 AA midfield was weaker than it should have been. Hence why he lasted to late 2nd round though I suppose. I've watched him live a few times and been a bit underwhelmed - good in and under but not much else to speak of. Solid role player that might not suit the way the game has changed where mids need to be versatile but maybe the game will change again?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like I said, I don't get why he was rated so highly. He kind of Bradbury'd into the AA team - lots of big names had niggles that meant the u18 AA midfield was weaker than it should have been. Hence why he lasted to late 2nd round though I suppose. I've watched him live a few times and been a bit underwhelmed - good in and under but not much else to speak of. Solid role player that might not suit the way the game has changed where mids need to be versatile but maybe the game will change again?

I think you might be underrating Ainsworth a bit - sure, his kicking action is ugly, but being the leading clearance winner is no mean feat, especially when you consider his opposition.

Let's just give him a little time to see what he's like

That will be the ultimate decider.

I think you might be underrating Ainsworth a bit - sure, his kicking action is ugly, but being the leading clearance winner is no mean feat, especially when you consider his opposition.
;) This was all an exercise in getting you to provide the advice you probably need to give to yourself given your opening comment in here. You might be underestimating North a bit. Like Ainsworth he is a clearance machine. 2nd in the TAC. But similarly lacks a bit of pace and has questionable kicking at times.

The U18s is littered with All Australian players who go on to achieve very little

And that's the majority?

;) This was all an exercise in getting you to provide the advice you probably need to give to yourself given your opening comment in here. You might be underestimating North a bit. Like Ainsworth he is a clearance machine. 2nd in the TAC. But similarly lacks a bit of pace and has questionable kicking at times.

Well, as you said, it just seems to be a matter of opinion.

North has looked like a senior footballer for a long time and he got better (and taller) with age.

I think he'll be a lot more than a role player.

I think his kicking would be top 20% of his class/colleagues, same with his inside ability and tackling. I think the key point is that I don't see a lot of weaknesses in his skill set. I'd say perhaps he's been so used to winning the ball that he might not be that great at stopping his opponent winning it, but he tackles hard.

Before the season I thought he'd potentially go 1st or more likely second round, since most of the first round will be taller players, half of whom will never be anything.

And that's the majority?

Well, as you said, it just seems to be a matter of opinion.
2010 Under 18 All-Australian team
B:
Ben Jacobs (VM) Matthew Watson (VM) Dyson Heppell (VC)
HB: Shaun Atley (VC) Patrick McCarthy (SA) Brodie Smith (SA)
C: Jared Polec (SA) Mitch Hallahan (VC) Andrew Gaff (VM)
HF: Harley Bennell (WA) Lucas Cook (VC) Adam Treloar (VC)
F: Jayden Pitt (VC) Steven May (NT) Josh Caddy (VM)
Foll: Daniel Gorringe (SA) Anthony Miles (NSW/ACT) Tom Liberatore (VM)
Int: Sam Day (SA) Josh Bruce (NSW/ACT) Josh Green (Tas)
Sam Darley (TAS)

2011 Under 18 All-Australian team
B:
Jed Anderson (NT) Michael Talia (VM) Brandon Ellis (VM)
HB: Brad Crouch (VC) Brody Mihocek (Tas) Alex Forster (SA)
C: Jaeger O'Meara (WA) Toby Greene (VM) Will Hoskin-Elliott (VM)
HF: Chad Wingard (SA) Sam Mayes (SA) Lachie Whitfield (VC)
F: Ben Kennedy (SA) Jonathon Patton (VM) John McKenzie (Tas)
Foll: Billy Longer (VM) Dom Tyson (VM) Stephen Coniglio (WA)
Int: Mitch Grigg (SA) Brodie Grundy (SA) Taylor Adams (VC)
Clay Smith (VC)

2012 Under 18 All-Australian team
B:
Sam Colquhoun (SA) Matt Scharenberg (SA) Luke McDonald (VM)
HB: Jimmy Toumpas (SA) Jesse Hogan (WA) Nick Vlastuin (VM)
C: James Aish (SA) Ollie Wines (VC) Lachie Whitfield (VC)
HF: Jack Billings (VM) Taylor Garner (VC) Jack Martin (WA)
F: Ben Kennedy (SA) Joe Daniher (VM) Matthew McDonough (SA)
Foll: Brodie Grundy (SA) Jonathan O'Rourke (VM) Nathan Hrovat (VM)
Int: Andrew Boston (Qld) Dayle Garlett (WA) Jake Neade (NT)
Jackson Thurlow (Tas)

There is a fair sprinkling of players in these groups who I would class as being early physical maturing, already high running ability players. Those are the sort that recruiters tend to believe won't progress much because they could be as good as they will ever be.

All I was saying is that Mark could have been in this group given he was a running machine.

2010 Under 18 All-Australian team
B:
Ben Jacobs (VM) Matthew Watson (VM) Dyson Heppell (VC)
HB: Shaun Atley (VC) Patrick McCarthy (SA) Brodie Smith (SA)
C: Jared Polec (SA) Mitch Hallahan (VC) Andrew Gaff (VM)
HF: Harley Bennell (WA) Lucas Cook (VC) Adam Treloar (VC)
F: Jayden Pitt (VC) Steven May (NT) Josh Caddy (VM)
Foll: Daniel Gorringe (SA) Anthony Miles (NSW/ACT) Tom Liberatore (VM)
Int: Sam Day (SA) Josh Bruce (NSW/ACT) Josh Green (Tas)
Sam Darley (TAS)

2011 Under 18 All-Australian team
B:
Jed Anderson (NT) Michael Talia (VM) Brandon Ellis (VM)
HB: Brad Crouch (VC) Brody Mihocek (Tas) Alex Forster (SA)
C: Jaeger O'Meara (WA) Toby Greene (VM) Will Hoskin-Elliott (VM)
HF: Chad Wingard (SA) Sam Mayes (SA) Lachie Whitfield (VC)
F: Ben Kennedy (SA) Jonathon Patton (VM) John McKenzie (Tas)
Foll: Billy Longer (VM) Dom Tyson (VM) Stephen Coniglio (WA)
Int: Mitch Grigg (SA) Brodie Grundy (SA) Taylor Adams (VC)
Clay Smith (VC)

2012 Under 18 All-Australian team
B:
Sam Colquhoun (SA) Matt Scharenberg (SA) Luke McDonald (VM)
HB: Jimmy Toumpas (SA) Jesse Hogan (WA) Nick Vlastuin (VM)
C: James Aish (SA) Ollie Wines (VC) Lachie Whitfield (VC)
HF: Jack Billings (VM) Taylor Garner (VC) Jack Martin (WA)
F: Ben Kennedy (SA) Joe Daniher (VM) Matthew McDonough (SA)
Foll: Brodie Grundy (SA) Jonathan O'Rourke (VM) Nathan Hrovat (VM)
Int: Andrew Boston (Qld) Dayle Garlett (WA) Jake Neade (NT)
Jackson Thurlow (Tas)

There is a fair sprinkling of players in these groups who I would class as being early physical maturing, already high running ability players. Those are the sort that recruiters tend to believe won't progress much because they could be as good as they will ever be.

All I was saying is that Mark could have been in this group given he was a running machine.

Who's Mark?

Not sure that is a knock on Tom at all. Has a nice left boot.

I think Hamish Brayshaw will be a good player for you guys, he can take a mark, has a big engine, and is a very good size, although he is not quick he knows where the goals are, and will be a real find at pick 68 or whatever he was.

Ainsworth is a very, very poor man's Priddis. He has no penetration in his kicking, isn't good overhead and isn't quick. What he does do well is win contested possessions and clearances from stoppages. He is one dimensional, and for someone who is slow and doesn't have a great skill they are fast becoming an extinct species. He will become your whipping boy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back