Pick 66 Paul Puopolo 2010 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Pity there is no footage on him:(

There's one classic piece of footage in the 2010 Grand Final where he gathered a ball off the ground with an opponent about to tackle. He just shrugged off the tackle as if he wasn't there, ran away from him, evading two tackling attempts. Another where he just dumped the Central rock ape Jason McKenzie with a hard attack on the football. Both players converged on the ball, Puopolo gathered and then clashed with his much bigger oponent, knocking him to the ground, and then taking off downfield.

Hawks fans, you will love this guy's attack on the footy, his pace, and his desperation. Similar to a younger Campbell Brown in a way, only with pace.

There is some footage of him on Hawks TV, it looks good. Small, strong, fast, has the Cyril chickenwing tackle down,

There were some glitches yesterday, but you should find a link to the footage on this page...

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4742/newsid/105384/default.aspx

Great work Rhayader.

Those highlights are well worth a look.

We have needed a little hard speedy nugget like him for a couple of seasons who will really annoy opposition sides and get under their guard.

Looks like a great pick up. One of those blokes who looks like he wants to take the game on at every opportunity. Looks like he can play anywhere on the ground too.

You just wonder why we persist with guys like Moss on our list when there are players like PUP out there who have real speed and aggression - everything you need to be a successful player.

You just wonder why we persist with guys like Moss on our list when there are players like PUP out there who have real speed and aggression - everything you need to be a successful player.

I think clubs are also looking for things like a good footy brain, kicking skills, agility, versatility, endurance, awareness, balance...

Great work Rhayader.

Those highlights are well worth a look.

We have needed a little hard speedy nugget like him for a couple of seasons who will really annoy opposition sides and get under their guard.

Looks like a great pick up. One of those blokes who looks like he wants to take the game on at every opportunity. Looks like he can play anywhere on the ground too.

I reckon I have to agree with this. I think it applies especially toward picking up a small fwd or back. Why on earth would you pick someone that lacks pace. Up fwd you're going to get caught out and down back you can neither break the lines or burn someone off with pace - instead you find you're continuously getting caught, which can hurt.

If you're playing midfield and are an inside hard ball magnet, that's different. You're playing a role by getting the difficult, contested possies.

A small player needs pace and agility, making him hard to catch when attacking. When defending, he's able to keep up with quick smalls. The way the modern game is played, I would think it's a no brainer.:confused: (can anyone name a current successful AFL small who lacks pace??? I wouldn't think there's many)

I don't know where they've got this from. I've know him for 4 years and never heard anyone call him Killer. He's known as "Pup".

Short & covered in muscles - I will be calling him Popeye I think.

There is some footage of him on Hawks TV, it looks good. Small, strong, fast, has the Cyril chickenwing tackle down,

There were some glitches yesterday, but you should find a link to the footage on this page...

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4742/newsid/105384/default.aspx

Super impressed by the strength and skills shown at ~40sec mark. And yeah, I enjoy players trying to pin one arm when tackling, there's a lot to like, though time will tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pup is a rubbish nickname.

So is Judd2Sewell. :)

Look guys, I don't want to go through this again. Back in the 1990s it took me years to convince Hawks people that Darren Jarman preferred the name "Fudd". That was, and still is, his sobriquet, irrespective of what others wanted to call him.

Incidentally, not only is Puopolo from my SANFL club Norwood, he is originally from my local club Payneham-NU, which is coached by for Norwood hard man Garry McIntosh, and Puopolo's style is reminiscent of that of McIntosh.

So is Judd2Sewell. :)

Look guys, I don't want to go through this again. Back in the 1990s it took me years to convince Hawks people that Darren Jarman preferred the name "Fudd". That was, and still is, his sobriquet, irrespective of what others wanted to call him.

Incidentally, not only is Puopolo from my SANFL club Norwood, he is originally from my local club Payneham-NU, which is coached by for Norwood hard man Garry McIntosh, and Puopolo's style is reminiscent of that of McIntosh.

Well luckily for me no one has ever called me that in actual life.

Quick. Quick. Quick. I'm not surprised someone got him, I feel GC erred here they could have had this bloke playing in the VFL IMO, he'd be a better prospect than some.

It's not uncommon to see him on kick out and then be the guy to put it into 50 with about 6 bounces in between. Ready made.

I take photos for the Norwood Football Club and this is a big hanger that Paul took during the year. For a small bloke he certainly knows how to take the big marks.
2238799310100580629S600x600Q85.jpg

What about Pit Bull? Just doesn't let up and if you hurt him, he gets more vicious:)

Seriously though, he is ready for round 1. That's assuming he trains well and plays some good NAB footy.:thumbsu: Just what our defense needed - some pace, grunt, run and carry. All the best Pit Bull.

If he can mark like that and bench presses the most at Norwood he might be able to become a KPD at Hawthorn. I have never seen Gilham or Murphy get that high!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back