List Mgmt. pick 67 who do we take

There's a chance Beams won't have an outstanding season this time around - he's a class act but even the best can take time to adjust to new home, teammates, coach, game plan, training regime, home ground, increased travel etc etc.

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Last year there was some talk about Mitch Thorpe being given another chance. Anyone know how he went this year and would he be worth taking a punt on with 67?

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Wouldn't it be funny if pick 67 turned out to be an even better player than Dayne Beams next year?

Highly unrealistic...but I would have a nice chuckle

A few weeks ago on SEN they were having a bit of fun talking about "famous" Pick 67's in Drafts gone by.

Byron Pickett (1996 - NM- 204 games) is the absolute standout but there have been a few other "handy" players selected at 67:-

A bit of research has revealed the following:-

1991 - Shane Ellen ( Footscray, later Adelaide -65 games)
1999 - Robert Shirley (Adel- 151 games)
2000 - Graham Johncock (Adel- 227 games)
2002 - Stephen Alessio (Ess - 16 games)
2006 - Joe Anderson (Carl - 17 games)
2009 - Jeromy Webberley (Rich - 16 games)
2010- Andrew McInnes (Carl - 17 games)
2011 - Jarod Witts (Coll - 27 games)

To be truthful, I can't remember anything at all about Anderson, Webberley or McInnes. Suffice to say they at least appear to have been useful as depth players.

The really quirky one for me is Shane Ellen. The back pocket player who Malcolm blight famously played at FF in the '97 GF after Tony Modra did his ACL in the Prelim.

And who even more famously kicked 5 goals to help the Crows to an unlikely victory.

Panthera

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
There's a chance Beams won't have an outstanding season this time around - he's a class act but even the best can take time to adjust to new home, teammates, coach, game plan, training regime, home ground, increased travel etc etc.

Nah, barring injury - I expect 550 possessions, 25 goals+ and top 3 in our B&F.

No pressure Dayne :oops:

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
A few weeks ago on SEN they were having a bit of fun talking about "famous" Pick 67's in Drafts gone by.

Byron Pickett (1996 - NM- 204 games) is the absolute standout but there have been a few other "handy" players selected at 67:-

A bit of research has revealed the following:-

1991 - Shane Ellen ( Footscray, later Adelaide -65 games)
1999 - Robert Shirley (Adel- 151 games)
2000 - Graham Johncock (Adel- 227 games)
2002 - Stephen Alessio (Ess - 16 games)
2006 - Joe Anderson (Carl - 17 games)
2009 - Jeromy Webberley (Rich - 16 games)
2010- Andrew McInnes (Carl - 17 games)
2011 - Jarod Witts (Coll - 27 games)

To be truthful, I can't remember anything at all about Anderson, Webberley or McInnes. Suffice to say they at least appear to have been useful as depth players.

The really quirky one for me is Shane Ellen. The back pocket player who Malcolm blight famously played at FF in the '97 GF after Tony Modra did his ACL in the Prelim.

And who even more famously kicked 5 goals to help the Crows to an unlikely victory.
I reckon Anderson played for Carlton against us round 5 2007. We won the game but from memory he played quite well.

Aug 7, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Colorado Avalanche; Houston Rockets
Was at a TAC Cup meeting this week and the general feedback from the AFL clubs is that after around pick 20 it's a lottery this year, so all jokes aside the kid we pick at 67 actually might be a bolter or a total bust. Our recent history in later (non upgrade picks) such as Banfield (41), Cornelius (57), Dalziell (52), Austin (56) and Harwood (47) suggests that we're more likely than not to end up with a 30 odd gamer who might add some depth. Personally I think we are more inclined to pick up a mature ager like we did with Goose.

With all that in mind, I'm still going to hear "pick 5, brisbane lions, Dayne Beams" :)

irish

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2002
hobart
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NHFC demons & SH/SB sharks
at 67 its the hammer for me , not much meat left in the soup down this low so stick with the local boy , failing that its Grimley from the hawks

Panthera

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Many think this bloke is unlikely to get drafted as he stands only 167cm (6cm shorter than Lewy Taylor and 8cm shorter than the great Shaun Hart). Same height as Brent Harvey.

His highlights package is impressive.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-10/caleb-daniel-highlights

With Zorko likely to spend 75% TOG in the midfield and Taylor gradually increasing his time in there too; I would be stoked if we took him at pick #67 :footy:

Most players taken that late have several queries on their game; this guy seems to have one. Averaged 20 possessions and 2 goals for SA @ 92% efficiency :confused:

All Australian team
16.1 beep test (first)
Clean hands test (second)

Aug 31, 2011
Bris
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Many think this bloke is unlikely to get drafted as he stands only 167cm (6cm shorter than Lewy Taylor and 8cm shorter than the great Shaun Hart). Same height as Brent Harvey.

His highlights package is impressive.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-10/caleb-daniel-highlights

With Zorko likely to spend 75% TOG in the midfield and Taylor gradually increasing his time in there too; I would be stoked if we took him at pick #67 :footy:

Most players taken that late have several queries on their game; this guy seems to have one. Averaged 20 possessions and 2 goals for SA @ 92% efficiency :confused:

All Australian team
16.1 beep test (first)
Clean hands test (second)
I wouldn't have an issue taking him. If you're good enough it doesn't matter what size you are. I am definitely in the height is overrated bracket of AFL fans mind you.

I've heard a lot of things about Daniels. Some say if he was 10cm taller he would be a top 10 lock and others think he's a rookie at best. On talent alone I'd take him but position wise we're better off going after a speedy small defender.

There's only so much you can get excited about when you have pick 67 ;)

xplo

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2004
The Original 'Cougar'
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
I really like him as a player. I'd just worry about teams that kick well with some height. When you field 5 or so guys under 180cm you start to get exploitable marking contests all over the ground.

We have a few mozzies, but we currently to a good job putting them in positions where they aren't often in 1-1 marking contests.

Can't really remember Zorko being out marked last season because he's in heavy traffic most of the time.

Squizzy I remember getting out marked a few times mostly at halfback.

Green plays deep forward enough that it's harder to exploit him - though sometime it's on the backline 'switch'. Not the end of the world.

We have to add Bundy to a wing, probably for Crisp - we get shorter there. The skill upgrade is worth it, but finding a spot for Daniel too? Hard.

Nuggo

Club Legend
Aug 24, 2009
Mornington
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
At pick 67 if you can find a player that will play AFL games I would take him no matter how tall he is. Never know what is going to happen in terms of injuries, players leaving etc. If he proves to be a good AFL player but can't get a run or forces someone else out there is trade value for down the track.

Just don't see a need for Daniel, irrespective of whether he is draftable. With our recent recruiting, we can probably go this year and next without worrying about our midfield and half forward stocks. That allows us to be more targeted in our recruiting.

I am really warming to the idea of looking for a young mature age type (eg 20-21) to play a role. Anywhere in the back half, tagger or maybe ruck.

Feb 17, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
image.jpg

Caleb Daniel at the draft meeting.

Back