Pick 68 - Kaiden Brand- Welcome to Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Showed a fair bit I thought. Moved really well for someone 198cm, and seemed comfortable in possession. Got a bit lost occasionally when the ball when the ball was coming in - thought there were a couple of times where he needed to put some body contact on his opponent.

Plenty to work with though - and if we get a long-term key defender out of pick 60-something, then it's a definite win.

KB was solid down back and he's been playing as a FB most of his time at BHH, but he was also recruited as a KPF... is he any good in that position?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He definitely made it hard for Clarko to drop him...

Hope he retains his spot in the side, he and Frawley need more game time together.
When multiple of our undersized defenders don't have to fly for the same high ball leaving no one down our opposition will stop scoring easy goals from the spillage and our counter attack will improve.

He definitely made it hard for Clarko to drop him...

Hope he retains his spot in the side, he and Frawley need more game time together.
I agree.
Not sure Clarko agrees.

Check pre 2008. Check 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012. Even 2013 & 2014, we still only played 1x KPD.

Hopefully (doubtful) we've learned from Rounds 1-6 & have learned that we need 2x KPD: Frawley + Brand.

Unfortunately, we'll probably play Frawley as the only KPD for the next 5 weeks; of which we'll win 4 because they're sh*t opponents; &, in doing so we'll 'Band Aid over the cracks' of not having the capacity to cover genuine sides with big time forwards...

Great debut particularly for a key position player. Felt very comfortable in the stands watching the ball coming in high to our back 50 and when he had possesion. Cool, calm and confident. Lake gave me that reassuring feeling too when he played his first game with us too.

Very acceptable debut. Showed very little nerve, good use by foot and he showed he has a strong grasp of the team defence like a seasoned veteran. I think he has to play again and give him a chance to establish himself. It might spell the end of Litherland as a 'tall' though.

I agree.
Not sure Clarko agrees.

Check pre 2008. Check 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012. Even 2013 & 2014, we still only played 1x KPD.

Hopefully (doubtful) we've learned from Rounds 1-6 & have learned that we need 2x KPD: Frawley + Brand.

Unfortunately, we'll probably play Frawley as the only KPD for the next 5 weeks; of which we'll win 4 because they're sh*t opponents; &, in doing so we'll 'Band Aid over the cracks' of not having the capacity to cover genuine sides with big time forwards...

Hopefully Clarko gets that its horses for courses. No question that both Brand & Frawley need to play against sides with 2 or more tall forwards

We will need both Chip and Brand against north, cats and even swans. Watched the young man closely from where I was sitting, and he didn't look at all fussed or nervous. Great size on him and should play against the dockers in place of Howe ( unlucky but we need to find out more about KB more than Howe).

He should play every week for mine, he looks a 10 year CHB, moves well, great size, kicks well for a guy of his size, I think it may have been his first kick where he played on and hit a 50M pass to Gunston in the middle of the ground, it was all class.

Really looked like he belonged out there, will have to see more of him at the level to fully understand whether he is capable of matching it with the big guys in the air but he has to keep playing for that reason.

He and Frawley are both mobile and Frawley can play shorter if necessary, the biggest positive is that it frees Gibson up to do his thing.

We will need both Chip and Brand against north, cats and even swans. Watched the young man closely from where I was sitting, and he didn't look at all fussed or nervous. Great size on him and should play against the dockers in place of Howe ( unlucky but we need to find out more about KB more than Howe).

Or Howe can play in the midfield?

I probably wasn't as impressed as some of you with Brand's debut, he seemed to be led to the ball every time I saw him. He also gave away that sloppy over the shoulder free kick to Sam Lloyd that resulted in a goal. He used the ball well, but I felt that he was not competitive in defending leading forwards.

Good debut but nothing special. Still a lot to work on but very promising. It's never an easy debut on Friday night against Richmond. It's a completely different intensity to VFL but I think he handled it well.

Still has some things to iron out. He didn't read the ball as well as he does in the 2's but I think that will come naturally. Misjudged the flight a few times I thought.

Uses the ball well and moves well though so very promising future ahead :thumbsu: The fact that I didn't notice much of him out there is probably a good thing for a defender :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back