List Mgmt. Pick 69 - Lloyd Meek

Remove this Banner Ad

Meek is only behind the other rucks because he is the least developed. Darcy was a different beast when we drafted him, even though Meek is slightly older than him. I suspect they see Meek as having the second highest ceiling (as a ruck - maybe 3rd if Apeness can finally get through a full season next year).

Jones was clearly recruited as an emergency stop gap, which we ended up needing. I'm very interested to see how they try and make him more mobile/agile over the off and pre-season. Has great football smarts and attitude, just not the athleticism. Strnadica possibly deserves a debut but he is still only 20yo (like Darcy and Meek) - hope they are just going the slow burn and don't delist him given he's the only one out of contract this year.

Currently with a 35 year old, 2 x 23 year olds and 3 x 20 year old rucks on the list tells me we are playing a bit of a numbers game. Not really any ruck prospects in this year's draft so we certainly won't be drafting anymore and other clubs might also be keen on our young prospects.

Despite not spending last year on an AFL list I'd say Meek was as or more developed than Strnadica. Played some good VFL games last year and as the club reported on drafting him, "arrived at the club with a body capable of competing with the strongest AFL ruckmen"
He showed that in his preseason training and JLT but was then put behind Strnadica despite showing much more than him.

He showed that in his preseason training and JLT but was then put behind Strnadica despite showing much more than him.
Strnadica started the year in Reserves. Meek started the year in the League team. So Meek did start ahead of him. Strandica's impressive performances in Reserves meant they had to elevate him to League. And they finally reduced the talls in the League side (they were playing 4 rucks in some games weren't they?) by sending Meek to Reserves in Round 5.

Strnadica started the year in Reserves. Meek started the year in the League team. So Meek did start ahead of him. Strandica's impressive performances in Reserves meant they had to elevate him to League. And they finally reduced the talls in the League side (they were playing 4 rucks in some games weren't they?) by sending Meek to Reserves in Round 5.

Only because Strnadica missed large chunks of preseason. Agree that Strnadica had to be promoted but Meek was doing much better than Jones in the early WAFL games but for some reason it was Meek demoted behind all of the others.

From what i have seen in training, Meek is a better tap ruckman than Jones, Apeness and Strnadica. Haven't seen him go against Darcy yet though but tapwork is obviously a strength of his aswell.

Apeness and Strnadica are the best contested marks of the group.

Apeness and then Darcy/Meek probably the best at the ground work in the contest.

Meek and then Apeness are the fastest but that's not saying much.

Apeness and Strnadica the best goal kickers.

IMO Meek and Darcy will only ever make it as a No1 ruck. I think Meek will be challenging Darcy for the No1 spot by next season.

From what i have seen in training, Meek is a better tap ruckman than Jones, Apeness and Strnadica. Haven't seen him go against Darcy yet though but tapwork is obviously a strength of his aswell.

Apeness and Strnadica are the best contested marks of the group.

Apeness and then Darcy/Meek probably the best at the ground work in the contest.

Meek and then Apeness are the fastest but that's not saying much.

Apeness and Strnadica the best goal kickers.

IMO Meek and Darcy will only ever make it as a No1 ruck. I think Meek will be challenging Darcy for the No1 spot by next season.
How would you order them in ruck ability overall?

Nads is going to get delisted guys. 3 years on the rookie list and no debut? Very slim odds of staying.
It's his second year and it isn't over yet. As well as that being on the Rookie List is exactly where a developing ruck should be. But yeah, if he got to the end of next season and no debut he could be gone.

Have watched a lot of Meek and Strnadica at Peel and in my opinion Strnadica is well ahead of Meek in general ruckwork, marking and forward play. However, I think Meek has more upside as a pure ruck than Strads who I see as a very good second ruck / forward.

Meek has more strength and explosive pace than Strads, just needs more work on his ruck craft. I suspect this is why he was sent to Peel reserves when we had a bunch of talks, because in reserves he pretty much rucked solo.

I thought Meek had something of a break out game for Peel today in atrocious conditions. Used his pace and strength to really be a factor around the ground. Even though he had less hitouts than Strnadica I thought he was very impressive.

I thought Nads was more of a project player hence why he was in the reserves a lot. Makes no sense to cut him now that he's in the league side and showing some promise.

I also thought we were starting a ruck farm to trade our wares for some juicy draft picks.

Have watched a lot of Meek and Strnadica at Peel and in my opinion Strnadica is well ahead of Meek in general ruckwork, marking and forward play. However, I think Meek has more upside as a pure ruck than Strads who I see as a very good second ruck / forward.

Meek has more strength and explosive pace than Strads, just needs more work on his ruck craft. I suspect this is why he was sent to Peel reserves when we had a bunch of talks, because in reserves he pretty much rucked solo.

I thought Meek had something of a break out game for Peel today in atrocious conditions. Used his pace and strength to really be a factor around the ground. Even though he had less hitouts than Strnadica I thought he was very impressive.
Really appreciate the insight. Would love to get some general thoughts on how you see these groupings;
  • KPFs; Taberner, Dixon.
  • ruck/forwards; Cox, Apeness, Strnadica.
  • first rucks; Darcy, Jones, Meek.
Obviously they are my groupings. I haven't forgotten about McCarthy, just choosing to see him more as a "medium" for now.

Given your Peel observations, what combinations work for you in our ideal best 22?

Really appreciate the insight. Would love to get some general thoughts on how you see these groupings;
  • KPFs; Taberner, Dixon.
  • ruck/forwards; Cox, Apeness, Strnadica.
  • first rucks; Darcy, Jones, Meek.
Obviously they are my groupings. I haven't forgotten about McCarthy, just choosing to see him more as a "medium" for now.

Given your Peel observations, what combinations work for you in our ideal best 22?
Interesting question, and watching Peel doesn't make me an expert, but here goes...

Tabs right now is our only genuine KPF, Cox is developing nicely and Dixon is a long way off but great potential. Maybe with a preseason Dixon will be good cover for Tabs but Cox is better now.

Right now, fully fit I'd have Apeness as the forward / ruck but I reckon if Strnadica can add a bit of power in his legs he will surpass the Ape. I don't see Cox as a backup ruck. I think the policy of trying to use your KPF as a ruck is flawed. Both Cox and Tabs are poor in the ruck and when they are rucking we are short staffed in the forward line. I'd play both Tabs and Cox forward, with Apeness or Strnadica resting forward and rucking. I'd have two smalls, and I'd have a mid-sized forward who can take a mark but is also good on the ground. In his prime that was Mayne but I see this as a gap in our list at the moment. If Blair Bell was 5 years younger he'd be perfect, but I'm sure we can find someone in the draft.

Apart from Sandi, Darcy is our obvious next best. I think right now Jones is the best backup as a "pure" ruck but would hope Meek overtakes him in the next year ir two.

Sorry for the long answer!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see it pretty much the same, but without the actual insight you have from watching Peel.

I realise Dixon will take time, but I am also really interested to see how they attempt to fast track him. Or if they decide to be patient with him.

Have watched a lot of Meek and Strnadica at Peel and in my opinion Strnadica is well ahead of Meek in general ruckwork, marking and forward play. ..... Even though he had less hitouts than Strnadica I thought he was very impressive.

Yes agree along with the fact that Snadica is the best regards mobility, is getting better as his endurance, weight/strength and confidence increase. Only recently have they given him the license the be the 1st ruck and mobile around the ground. Pretty dumb to give him away to another club. Pretty happy with our big guys and will be good if they all come up to their potential as we have greater flexibilty come game selection time.

I'm really bullish about Meek, I think he will be a very good number 1 ruck. Our problem is that as someone has already mentioned both Darcy and Meek look like number 1 rucks and are very similar.

Strnadica has him easily covered as far as a forward is concerned and agree that Meeks upside is far greater than Strnadicas. I'd really like to see Strnadica given a go in one of the remaining but his lack of athletic ability may hold him back, especially now that Tabs has returned. There is little chance we would go into a game with Darcy, Tabs, Cox, McCarthy and Strnadica (or Jones).

I'm really bullish about Meek, I think he will be a very good number 1 ruck. Our problem is that as someone has already mentioned both Darcy and Meek look like number 1 rucks and are very similar.

Strnadica has him easily covered as far as a forward is concerned and agree that Meeks upside is far greater than Strnadicas. I'd really like to see Strnadica given a go in one of the remaining but his lack of athletic ability may hold him back, especially now that Tabs has returned. There is little chance we would go into a game with Darcy, Tabs, Cox, McCarthy and Strnadica (or Jones).

Personally I think both Darcy and Meek seem to have pretty decent football nouse, and I am optimistic that while they are naturally both #1 rucks, they can also be handy enough in the forward line to be a target. Yes that has a bit of "Back to the Future" in terms of current AFL rucks, but neither of them are logs. If they can develop their mobility/running to their maximum potential, that may be a chance. If not, we probably lose one at some stage.

Darcy's got some competition.
It’s good isn’t it, on that form he’s more mobile & composed with ball in hand, but it was just a scratchy.

I’d love to hear the instructions given by Sandi in coming up against NN. Sandi was 1 ruckman who could nullify NN at ball ups. I think it’s about taking space away from NN, particularly at centre bounces & make him reach for his taps & don’t allow his follow up work.

It’s a big opportunity for him & a fantastic test of his development. He’s so lucky having Sandi around & so are we as supporters.

Loved the way he regularly grabbed the ball before the tap got in reach of any of the mids, then fired off a super quick handball / effective clearance. So often the handball was to someone in the clear, and in those highlights I saw a=only one handball that did not hit it's target (and even in that one, it was to the player's advantage). Some fearless marks and accurate, penetrating kicks too.

A lot to like about this guy, if he keeps that up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back