Toast Pick #70 - Welcome to Carlton Angus Schumacher!

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a huge fan of this kid from watching few TAC cup games with him in it. Is flat footed at stoppages and doesn't find enough of it. Maybe SOS knows something we don't. Happy to give the kid a go though with pick 72 odd.

Looking at his stats, I don’t agree that he’s doesn’t find it enough. He averaged 23.7 possessions in 15 TAC Cup games this season, with little variance. To put that into perspective, that’s higher than Lochie O’Brians average across the TAC Cup season and Schumacher’s average is higher than Ed Richard’s highest possession game all together, so that criticism seems harsh.

I like that Schumacher was able to improve considerably from his bottom age year. He improved from an average of 14 possessions across 15 games, to 23.7 across the same number of games, so it seems he’s prepared to put the work in over the pre-season to improve.

Finally we are assembling a squad that has mongrel and elite kicking abilities

Mongrel alone won’t do it (Ellard, Robbo, Joeseph, Bell) and elite skills alone won’t do cut it either (menz, DVR)

Blokes with balls and the ability to run, find the the footy and use it.

Shuey can kick....hope he can do the rest as if he can he’s the prefect size to play mid or hb

I was a huge fan of Hunter Clark, I reckon we might have got his doppelgänger right here. Very happy with this selection. And it’s my favourite Maccas burger, though I’m a McLaren fan. Welcome.
I was a Webber fan die hard
Then Alonso fan we’ll always was
Just pure talent and took unconventional lines at times obviously his go karting background
And now a ricciardo fan
He smashed Vettel a three or four time world champ whom Daniel made him look stupid and a rookie
Ricciardo needs that McClaren seat
I’d love him to be up against Lewis
Mouthwatering

Looking at his stats, I don’t agree that he’s doesn’t find it enough. He averaged 23.7 possessions in 15 TAC Cup games this season, with little variance. To put that into perspective, that’s higher than Lochie O’Brians average across the TAC Cup season and Schumacher’s average is higher than Ed Richard’s highest possession game all together, so that criticism seems harsh.

I like that Schumacher was able to improve considerably from his bottom age year. He improved from an average of 14 possessions across 15 games, to 23.7 across the same number of games, so it seems he’s prepared to put the work in over the pre-season to improve.

Good Lord!
Some of you guys have got way too much time on your hands! I wouldn't even know where to find that information! ;)

Stats back up why I didn't want to draft a HB at pick 10. Can be found hidden later in the draft. First Willo now Schuey.:)

Lovely kick which we've clearly prioritized in this draft.

Lots to work on but has the skill and size to make the grade, so I'm happy to take a punt and see how he develops over the next couple of years.

I'm a bit lost. His kicking is superb. He gets 22 possessions a game off half back. 10 are contested. So gets the ball, wins his own ball. Kicks it beautifully. Not for me to share his speed or endurance stats (I don't disclose PMs) but suffice to say speed testing was FINE and endurance not horrific.

I'm just really not getting how he dropped this low is such an average draft.

I'm just really not getting how he dropped this low is such an average draft.

He seems the classic case of being a footballer rather than an athlete - with the major concern being that his athletic profile is below par across the board. Pace and endurance in particular are noted weaknesses.

Maybe there are doubts over whether or not he'll be able to improve those aspects enough in a professional environment for his game to translate to AFL level.

There are plenty of good kick who haven't made the grade due to deficiencies in other areas. It'll be interesting to see if Angus can improve in those weaker areas enough to make a career for himself.

He seems the classic case of being a footballer rather than an athlete - with the major concern being that his athletic profile is below par across the board. Pace and endurance in particular are noted weaknesses.

Maybe there are doubts over whether or not he'll be able to improve those aspects enough in a professional environment for his game to translate to AFL level.

There are plenty of good kick who haven't made the grade due to deficiencies in other areas. It'll be interesting to see if Angus can improve in those weaker areas enough to make a career for himself.
The fact that he gets ball and kicks it like a mule is a step in the right direction. Could be the new "WOOF" of the team.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2017-11-24/schumacher-best-moment-of-my-life

Angus Schumacher couldn’t contain his emotions when contacted at his home in the south-east Bendigo suburb of Strathfieldsaye last night. His name had just been called by Carlton, the club he’d supported his entire life, with the selection earned from Adelaide (70) as part of the Bryce Gibbs trade.

“This is by far the best moment of my life,” Schumacher said.

“I was sitting at home thinking ‘Oh no, I don’t think it’s going to happen and then . . . oh, it’s a dream come true. I’ve gone for the Blues my whole life. I don’t know what to say.”

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keen to see him play, hoping he has the speed and agility required for such a solid kid.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back