Pick #73 Riley Grundy

Mentioned in the draft thread after watching Grundy's highlights video. He looks so awkward, he's going to be a cult figure. Reminds of old timey West Torrens CHB Lee Robson.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Grundy, who in just three years has gone from playing his first football match at age 15 to being one of just 13 SANFL players invited to this week’s AFL Draft Combine in Melbourne, is so inquisitive that he drove SA under-18 coach Tony Bamford mad during this year’s national carnival.

But Bamford said he loved every minute of question time.

“This kid is a really different personality — and I guess Brodie’s the same — but the thing I found most intriguing about Riley was that almost after every training session he would come in after I’d be packing up my computer or putting stuff away and he’d want to revisit the training session with me,’’ Bamford said.

“He just wanted clarity and to know that when he was going home that night that he was 100 per cent clear on what we were trying to teach him, that there was no grey area.

“I loved that about him because it is quite rare to be questioned by players like that. He’s switched on and I really enjoyed working with Riley.’’

Grundy, who showcased his mental ability at the combine by recording the highest score in the psychomotor test, said without all of his questions and the resulting feedback he would not be in draft contention.

“I’ve come from a long way back, not playing football until three years ago, so without seeking so much feedback I would have struggled to get to this point,’’ he said, adding that he had also leaned on Crows All-Australian backman Brodie Smith for advice in his role as under-18s defensive coach.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...s/news-story/515bcf48efd5a566779697541a181833
nice

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
On the live broadcast, mentioned that Brodie was super nervous leading up to the draft hoping his brother would get selected. Also they were very happy for his mother who really wanted him to stay in Adelaide. Didn't want to lose both sons interstate. Seems he has the same quirky nature as his brother. I reckon he looks to have the same footy DNA as well! Looks to have a lot of upside and could well end up a great draft steal.

ya joking, can't believe he didn't go higher

Sorry jdeezy

rqqFScZzviSvqCHA4FLER2pgjkiJe6gUfR_Ga4OLFCwSWJ0iNqkbV7dkwhP66Wh2eEhgrw=w439-h335-nc

Sleezy

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Kid reminds me of Dylan Grimes of the Tigers. Giraffe like, but strangely effective. Surprisingly quick. Intriguing pick-up I think.

Back