Pick #73 Riley Grundy

Remove this Banner Ad

Did the hamstring ripping off the bone while waterskiing pull the hair under the skin causing the infection? Can Andrew Jarman confirm?

Baffles me that anyone on here even bothers to post Andrew Jarman 'rumours'. The guy just flat out makes s**t up. He has a proven record of it over a long period of time. The fact that he happens to have a lucrative gig on radio because he was a half-decent footballer 25 years ago doesn't give him any more credibility than the 'I saw Ollie's dad shaking his head' guy.

Never underestimate hard-working smart players. I just read this thread for the first time. Be patient, and this kid will be great.

He is a ripping lad. If his football is as good as his personality he will be a star! ;)

He is as tall as advertised, still lean but very athletic and plenty of growing to do.

Boxx

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
He has some of the hairiest legs on the team, I don’t think the ingrown hair was from shaving down.

One thing that is certain, his upper body development over this preseason has been remarkable, he is going to be a massive unit after a couple of seasons in the system!

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He has some of the hairiest legs on the team, I don’t think the ingrown hair was from shaving down.

One thing that is certain, his upper body development over this preseason has been remarkable, he is going to be a massive unit after a couple of seasons in the system!
I really forgot we had Grundy, a bit like Drew last year.. would be fantastic if he can really make it at AFL level

Boxx

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
Get back to us in 2021 - needs 2 years SANFL before he has an AFL strength body.
Yeah, I would have said that as well at the start of preseason, but seeing him today at training... I’m not sure it will take that long!
It’s good to see we have a lad that can actually build up size!

Yeah, I would have said that as well at the start of preseason, but seeing him today at training... I’m not sure it will take that long!
It’s good to see we have a lad that can actually build up size!

When do you think he will be fit for sanfl action?

Boxx

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
When do you think he will be fit for sanfl action?
He was running with Hayes today working on getting his strength in his legs... his fitness and tank is one of his best attributes, but didn’t look too far away!
He will surprise a few on here (as I was today) when they see how big he actually is.

Jan 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
8 games, averaging 6 disposals, 1 tackle, 2 hitouts and 22 dreamteam points.

Possibly the worst stats of an AFL listed players in the SANFL that I can remember..

You would hope he is doing his defensive game well (pressure acts, setting up etc). Hopefully he can start to find some of the footy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This was entirely expected and predicted by anyone who watched him prior to being drafted

Is raw. Doesn’t find much of the ball.

But as I said before he was drafted and after we drafted him, he is a great size at 197cm, is a great athlete with very good closing speed. And he loves being physical. He has stuff you can’t teach.

Is a long term project player who will take a while to develop.

The surprise is how good he has looked in the ruck when thrown in there.

He was well worth the draft pick and worth giving time on our list.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
This was entirely expected and predicted by anyone who watched him prior to being drafted

Is raw. Doesn’t find much of the ball.

But as I said before he was drafted and after we drafted him, he is a great size at 197cm, is a great athlete with very good closing speed. And he loves being physical. He has stuff you can’t teach.

Is a long term project player who will take a while to develop.

The surprise is how good he has looked in the ruck when thrown in there.

He was well worth the draft pick and worth giving time on our list.

Agree.

The bigger the player - the longer they take to develop (normally).

Like I have said - ready for AFL in 2021 at the earliest.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
1560222431663.png

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If we can teach him to read the play, intercept mark, and find a bit more of the ball he could be a huge get for us.

If we can't then its a unsuccessful pick 73 and really wgaf

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If we can teach him to read the play, intercept mark, and find a bit more of the ball he could be a huge get for us.

If we can't then its a unsuccessful pick 73 and really wgaf
I'd rather pick #73 on a raw KPP then yet another ******* flanker.

jac147

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
With a bit of beefing up in two to three years he could be a our full back or centre half back. A certain keeper at present.

From pre-draft memories I think the improvements we really want to see in gamestyle are in his counterattack (eg acting quickly and creatively after taking a mark, instead of automatically backstepping and wondering where the options went). Thats partially confidence, sure, but my knock on Riley is that I’m worried its largely about his awareness.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
From pre-draft memories I think the improvements we really want to see in gamestyle are in his counterattack (eg acting quickly and creatively after taking a mark, instead of automatically backstepping and wondering where the options went). Thats partially confidence, sure, but my knock on Riley is that I’m worried its largely about his awareness.
As a tall defender I don’t think it’s so bad he won’t make it. Even if the coaches just get him going down a mental checklist of - Player in clear up ground, no, then player near clear, no, then contest up ground etc of 3 or 4 options to run through over and over faster and faster until he can do it at AFL speed. He’s not requiring the mental agility of a rebounding small, midfielder or a forward, just not being a block of wood with the ball.

portly

Premiership Player
Apr 8, 2001
SA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As a tall defender I don’t think it’s so bad he won’t make it. Even if the coaches just get him going down a mental checklist of - Player in clear up ground, no, then player near clear, no, then contest up ground etc of 3 or 4 options to run through over and over faster and faster until he can do it at AFL speed. He’s not requiring the mental agility of a rebounding small, midfielder or a forward, just not being a block of wood with the ball.
Maybe not a block of wood,

But a brick is OK.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back