List Mgmt. Pick 75 - Welcome Scott Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

FreoBraddles

Team Captain
Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
With Pick 75 the Fremantle Dockers select..

Scott Jones

DOB: 20/5/1995
POSITION: Ruck
HEIGHT: 204cm
WEIGHT: 112kg
DRAFTED FROM: East Perth (WA)

Scott Jones is a 22-year-old ruckman, drafted from East Perth.

Jones has a big strong body, is a great size for an AFL ruck, and is a strong contested mark around the ground and up forward.

2017 was a breakout year for the ruckman, playing 15 WAFL league games for East Perth, where he averaged 11 disposals, four marks (1.5 contested marks), 20 hitouts and kicked nine goals.

The mature-aged recruit showed his ability against Claremont in round 19 with 10 marks (two contested), along with 17 disposals, 23 hitouts, four tackles and a goal.

Jones showed impressive tap work at the ruck contests in 2017. He is a good kick for his size and tested extremely well at the WA State Combine recording a 3.02 sec 20m sprint which is elite for his size.

Last edited:

Yeah agreed, not sure I understand this.

To me it says we want strandica to play as a forward and we have little faith in Apeness coming good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see it as a speculative, insurance pick.

Could come good in a season or two and be ready as backup. We have had times where are first 2 rucks are injured, insurance.

Yeah agreed, not sure I understand this.

To me it says we want strandica to play as a forward and we have little faith in Apeness coming good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am guessing maybe they think stranadica won't make it as ruck but KPF . Next year will be his second year as rookie make or break year for him.

Did we need him? Maybe not this year, but I see it as a long term selection.

Sandilands will retire come 2019, and there's no guarantee that Apeness or Strnadica stick around. I'd be surprised if they both did. So in a years time, we could potentially have just Darcy, Meek and Jones as ruck options.

It'll be difficult to fit everyone in in 2018, but we should be better off for it in the long run. And if everyone looks good? Well teams tend to pay more than they should for good young ruckmen.

But Jones could step in straight away if needed.

We have picked two ruckmen who have made very large strides (improvements) from 2016 to 2017. Now they step into an afl environment. Let’s see how he goes over the preseason. These selections are more about 2020 rather than now but Jones having played senior WAFL footy is good to step in for a few games if needed. Sandy goes down injured along with big Darcy and we need Jones all of a sudden.

Jones was pick 75. I would have preferred we stop at 73 in ND and head to the rookie draft with an extra pick. However Freo have seen fit to pick up Jones now rather than wait till pick 5 in the rookie draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jones was pick 75. I would have preferred we stop at 73 in ND and head to the rookie draft with an extra pick. However Freo have seen fit to pick up Jones now rather than wait till pick 5 in the rookie draft.
Already going witn 38 and 6. Had to place a player on the main list so would be someone else if it wasn't Jones. Still have three picks in tbe rookie draft.

Sandilands will retire come 2019, and there's no guarantee that Apeness or Strnadica stick around. I'd be surprised if they both did. So in a years time, we could potentially have just Darcy, Meek and Jones as ruck options.

It'll be difficult to fit everyone in in 2018, but we should be better off for it in the long run. And if everyone looks good? Well teams tend to pay more than they should for good young ruckmen.

Exactly, one of the two new rucks is going to be a bust on pure odds. This way we have 2 back-ups heading into 2019 which can be delisted a year later if one or both aren't working out.

After a decade of Sandi dominance, we are definitely gun shy on being left without a ruck. Bondi is also jealous of big key forwards kicking goals...

you cant have enough ruckman! lol.

Still remember in 2013, Freo had Sandi, Clarke, Griffin, Hannath and Moller in our list of ruckmen. Good times
I think that is the problem , we draft Ruckmen but get impatient , Moller and later Hannah get delisted , I believe before stranadica fully get to his potential we delist him too . The other two got a two year contract guarantee . I rather rookie one of them . Is hard enough to assesses stranadica form this year playing peel reserve.

Jones will enjoy the winning mentality at Peel, rather than the doom and gloom down at the Royals.

2 ruckmen off the list in Clarke and Griffin and 2 ruckmen onto the list. I'm not sure why this is causing any concern. We have the same number of ruckmen as last season.
I don't know about you but I think is not ideal to draft Ruckmen and delist them because one of them will be playing in a lesser competition for Peel reserve . I see your point but I rather pick forward /ruck than having Hannah or Moller type play forward because of overcrowded Ruckmen .

With limited picks in next years draft, I’m surprised we didn’t just go 40 this year. Two less picks needed next year.
You need 3 Nd pick next year . We can had two pick in Nd and the last pick use on rookie upgrade .

Retirement - Sandi and D.pearce.

You need 3 Nd pick next year . We can had two pick in Nd and the last pick use on rookie upgrade .

Retirement - Sandi and D.pearce.
I expect quite a few delistings too. Maybe add MJ and Mundy to retirements. Spurr too. Sutty, Sheridan, Ballas(?). List could grow quite quickly depending on form/injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back