News Boyd Woodcock signs for Southport VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Plays a bit like Sam Gray
With all these small forward options (Robbie Gray, Farrell, Johnson, Woodcock, Cox) I reckon Sam Gray should play further away from goal at either AFL or SANFL level and accumulate the ball from a forward flank or as a rover or outside mid.

Wow - just listened to Macca and Portia’s review of the SA draftees, part 2. Portia in particular did not rate Grundy or Woodcock. Combined with her sentiments about the Duursma pick, she would not have been happy yesterday.

Wow - just listened to Macca and Portia’s review of the SA draftees, part 2. Portia in particular did not rate Grundy or Woodcock. Combined with her sentiments about the Duursma pick, she would not have been happy yesterday.

In fairness from listening to the podcast I reckon Portia rated about 10 players this year, so the chances of her being happy weren't all that high.

Portia hates any player that isn't between 190 and 205cm unless they are completely and utterly elite because we keep picking up sub 180cm players in a height and strength dominated league.

I know this lad and his parents. Really, really pleased for him. Great kid. Hard worker. Competitive. He will leave nothing to chance.

Little piece of trivia. His dad played in the NRL and is about 6'5. His mum is about 5'2. Genetics!

Any relation at all to Roger Woodcock from Norwood? Not a common surname!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard it said that he wasn’t a long kick. That may be true but a number of his goals this year, especially in the finals, were from boundary line set shots 40+ metres out. To kick that accurately from those positions under the pressure of tight finals games is a big asset. Wonder if Neade, S Gray or AJ could manage the same.

He's actually a relation to Tommy Woodcock. Pharlap's straper.

th

"Woodcock! Is that you Woodcock?"

I heard it said that he wasn’t a long kick. That may be true but a number of his goals this year, especially in the finals, were from boundary line set shots 40+ metres out. To kick that accurately from those positions under the pressure of tight finals games is a big asset. Wonder if Neade, S Gray or AJ could manage the same.
You only ask if these 3 could make that kick?

I would only be confident with Houston, Robbie and maybe Ryder lining up from there... Farrell is fast earning my trust a bit as well.

With all these small forward options (Robbie Gray, Farrell, Johnson, Woodcock, Cox) I reckon Sam Gray should play further away from goal at either AFL or SANFL level and accumulate the ball from a forward flank or as a rover or outside mid.

I’m really hoping we have improved enough up forward that Sam Gray doesn’t get games at afl or plays to such a high level we couldn’t not pick him.

In fairness from listening to the podcast I reckon Portia rated about 10 players this year, so the chances of her being happy weren't all that high.

Portia hates any player that isn't between 190 and 205cm unless they are completely and utterly elite because we keep picking up sub 180cm players in a height and strength dominated league.

Portia rated Rozee and butters pretty highly

Welcome to the club Roger

Stoked with this pick, ahead of Neade and AJ already. About time we had a real genuine small forward.

I think he plays taller than his 174cms. Very smart too. I’m unsure what he can do at afl level but he is fun as all hell to watch.

Woody has a peculiar but effective kick. Could be a sneaky chance of making his AFL debut in 2019 if he keeps improving. He reminds me of Matthew Liptak - not a great player but 'finds a way' of getting the job done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back