News Boyd Woodcock signs for Southport VFL

Welcome to the club Roger

Stoked with this pick, ahead of Neade and AJ already. About time we had a real genuine small forward.
I guess if Michael Wilson got Wilbur, there is a chance that Boyd Woodcock gets Roger.

Any relation at all to Roger Woodcock from Norwood? Not a common surname!
Apparently not, according to one of the commentators I heard during the SANFL finals.

My Norwood mate knows Roger Woodcock and is heavily involved in cricket, told me many years ago that he and former state shield opening batsmen Ashley Woodcock, and played 1 test for Oz, are not related. Will have to ask him if Boyd is from Ashley's line of Woodcocks.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Interesting fact: The following players had two or more placings in the top 10 of the combined National combines ....

West Australians:

Wil Hickmott
Jarvis Pina,

South Australians

Izak Rankine
Kai Pudney ... 2nd-Agility; 4th-Yoyo (equal with Sam Walsh)
Kade Chandler
Boyd Woodcock ... 10th-Standing V Jump; 7th-Agility

Vic Metro
Xavier O’Halloran
Alastair Richards

Queensland

Ryan Gilmore
Darcy Marsh

Tasmania

Chayce Jones.

Last edited:
Perceptually, shorter players have a higher ceiling because it is further away from the top of their head. ;)

Jul 17, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Tell that to Brent Harvey, Dayne Zorko, Lachie Neale, Eddie Betts, and dozens of others.
Tell that to recruiters. You have to be a one hell of a small to go really high in a draft. Outside of that if they're looking at similar players but one is taller, they will more often than not go for the taller player since they have more scope for improvement and flexibility.

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Tell that to recruiters. You have to be a one hell of a small to go really high in a draft. Outside of that if they're looking at similar players but one is taller, they will more often than not go for the taller player since they have more scope for improvement and flexibility.
More scope for flexibility perhaps but anyone can improve.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Tell that to Brent Harvey, Dayne Zorko, Lachie Neale, Eddie Betts, and dozens of others.
They are all top class. They show that in order to stay on an AFL list as a small you need to be a top shelf player.

There are plenty of taller players who aren't that quality who put in a serviceable 50 - 200 game career. So unsurprisingly unless a small is clearly great you'd take a player that's taller and could be either top shelf or still be a serviceable part of your team for several years over one that could be either top shelf or out the door having done not much for your side.

They are all top class. They show that in order to stay on an AFL list as a small you need to be a top shelf player.

Tell that to Sam Gray and Jake Neade :p

Thunderstruck

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2003
Seaford Meadows, SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central District
Great pickup for you guys, really wanted him at the crows. Just the perfect small forward but can also play in the middle if required, the biggest ball magnet in the SA Under 18 comp, absolute manic hunger for the football. But as a forward, he plays much taller than his height, very strong overhead, one grab marks, good leap, slippery with good agility, and a unique goal sense and game sense to perform in those big moments. Loves to yap and get in the face of opposition. Plays a lot like a smaller Chris Gowans mixed with some Toby Greene/Luke Power. You have a little gem here.

I do like that Boyd has been working on his pest strengths with encouragement from the guru of peskiness, Josh Carr. :D

Last edited:
Back