News Boyd Woodcock signs for Southport VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

My sons teachers son played alot of footy with boyd growing up said he was always the star. If there was a big moment he was there a goal needed he would kick it she was rapt we got him.
Also seen abit of connor said he was also a gun no surprises but she said boyd was real cocky which is fine but conor really humble.
Rapt to get both these boys think boyd is going to be a bargain buy and connor well sky is the limit.

Any one who's seen a few maggies games can you tell me hows this lad has been going?
Thought he might play early given his finals last yr vs men. Ive seen the stats but they don't always show the full story.
Cheers in advance.

Any one who's seen a few maggies games can you tell me hows this lad has been going?
Thought he might play early given his finals last yr vs men. Ive seen the stats but they don't always show the full story.
Cheers in advance.

Has been working into the year slowly.

Probably suffers for the fact we’ve got quite a few similar types in the sanfl.

I reckon he will have a massive impact on the sanfl at some stage maybe next year but I’m still not entirely sold on him at afl level.

Has been working into the year slowly.

Probably suffers for the fact we’ve got quite a few similar types in the sanfl.

I reckon he will have a massive impact on the sanfl at some stage maybe next year but I’m still not entirely sold on him at afl level.
Cheers m8 hope your wrong about afl bit but lol

Cheers in advance.
Thought he was pretty good in the first 4 or 5 games. I attended and was impressed with his games against West at Richmond, North at Alberton, and the Eagles at Woodville Oval and thought he was good against Centrals at Alberton.

Watched him on the box against the crows and thought he was very quiet and didn't do much against Sturt on Saturday at Alberton.

He has been shaded by Cox who has a more impressive all round games as Cox is like a KPF stuck in a small man's body. Boyd is a typical opportunist small forward.

Thought he was pretty good in the first 4 or 5 games. I attended and was impressed with his games against West at Richmond, North at Alberton, and the Eagles at Woodville Oval and thought he was good against Centrals at Alberton.

Watched him on the box against the crows and thought he was very quiet and didn't do much against Sturt on Saturday at Alberton.

He has been shaded by Cox who has a more impressive all round games as Cox is like a KPF stuck in a small man's body. Boyd is a typical opportunist small forward.
Stiffy has grown up as a great junior Midfielder, the Small Forward role has come late. Do you see him developing into a Sam Grey 2.0, I have felt that since when he was drafted!

Stiffy has grown up as a great junior Midfielder, the Small Forward role has come late. Do you see him developing into a Sam Grey 2.0, I have felt that since when he was drafted!
Nah I see him as genuine small forward who knows how to, can, and likes kicking goals. he gets in good positions to crumb the ball. Sam Gray is a mid fielder who is forced to play forward but doesn't have the killer attitude to kick lots of goals.

After 3 or 4 games I had Woodcock ahead of Cox, but I reckon Cox is ahead of him now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a tough roll to play at SANFL level and more so at AFL. Plenty of players can provide goals, or defence, some athleticism, or play as an undersized ‘medium’ forward but few have the legitimate small forward craft.

Boyd has shown some glimpses and generally seems to be doing most things right in terms of adjusting to an AFL system.

If forward craft was a thing being coached to juniors anywhere in Australia at the moment I would be shocked cause you don’t see it on the field. They’re probably too busy teaching forwards how to defend.

If anyone has any forward ability nowadays it’s probably natural instinct that hasn’t been drilled out of them yet.

It’s part of why I’m not sure I want us to draft an instinctual forward like Pickett. We would probably negate those instincts and play to his weaknesses by asking him to negate guys 80kgs bigger.

Woodcock was alright against Sturt. He picked up 23 touches and kicked a goal. Showed some old-fashioned roving skills.

Woodcock was alright against Sturt. He picked up 23 touches and kicked a goal. Showed some old-fashioned roving skills.
Ok must been a better 1st half than the 2nd half, which is all I saw on Saturday.

Although sometimes I do get Mead and Woodcock mixed up in the far pockets, when I only see a 3 on the players back as they are a similar height and hair style

If forward craft was a thing being coached to juniors anywhere in Australia at the moment I would be shocked cause you don’t see it on the field. They’re probably too busy teaching forwards how to defend.

If anyone has any forward ability nowadays it’s probably natural instinct that hasn’t been drilled out of them yet.

It’s part of why I’m not sure I want us to draft an instinctual forward like Pickett. We would probably negate those instincts and play to his weaknesses by asking him to negate guys 80kgs bigger.

Forward craft is very difficult to teach. Hockey, soccer, basketball, rugby, AFL. Dynamic, natural forwards are as rare as hens teeth. Defenders are much easier to find and train. How many players start out as a backman or mid and become a legitimate good forward?It’s why a spud like Liam Jones can go from being borderline delisted as a forward to being a starting 22 backman. It’s also why I am in favour of Dougal staying forward, Burton shifting to the forward line where he played as a junior and Boyd getting plenty of time to build his skills as a true crumber with Hayes, Ladhams and Frampton up front.

Great game today for the magpies - kicked 4 goals and they were not small man joe the gooses or kicks around the body - kicked one from the boundary and another from out near the fifty arc with a long penetrating kick. Another followed a strong overhead mark. Was also involved in a lot of link up play from half back and through the centre. He keeps his feet (contrast with Sam Gray), looks good overhead and is very quick over the first 10 metres. He is also already strong through the core. I’m pretty excited about this kid.

Great game today for the magpies - kicked 4 goals and they were not small man joe the gooses or kicks around the body - kicked one from the boundary and another from out near the fifty arc with a long penetrating kick. Another followed a strong overhead mark. Was also involved in a lot of link up play from half back and through the centre. He keeps his feet (contrast with Sam Gray), looks good overhead and is very quick over the first 10 metres. He is also already strong through the core. I’m pretty excited about this kid.
Has abit of swagger about him as well going to be a AFL player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back