List Mgmt. Pick 9

Remove this Banner Ad

With the shallowness of this draft, if our top 5-6 players are taken by pick 9, we should entertain a trade with a mid-range team for their 2019 2nd and 2020 1st (if possible).

Maybe 9 isn’t such a bad pick after all. If someone drops through we like (Eg: Kemp) then it’s a win. If there’s no one there we really love I think we should trade with Freo. 9 for 10 and a second, maybe we give a third back. If we rate the next few picks the same (reasonable chance of that) then why not. For Freo the risk of us bidding on Henry would be too high. Would mean they have to use 10 on him. Trade with us (love) and it secures 3 genuine first rounders for them and really moves along their rebuild.
Ultimately that would be the ideal scenario as we would receive 10 & 22 for dropping one place in the order but as u said would probably have to throw something extra in, would prefer to use a future pick as the sweetener rather than 43 this year, would also look to try and get another pick in the late 20s early 30s for Pickett.
Kemp with 10
Williams with 22 or if gone Cooper Stephens.
Pickett with late 20s early 30s pick
Would be a very nice draft haul.

Yes, i think a quiet chat with Fremantle (and Hawthorn) might be in order ... 😎

Or not so quiet....

IF YOU ****ERS DON'T DO A PICK SWAP WITH US AND THROW IN A FREE ******* 2ND ROUNDER, WE'LL ******* BID ON YOUR ******* ACADEMY/FS NOMINEES!!! YOU GET MY ******* DRIFT?!?!

I nominate MrsEddieBetts to run the negotiations....

Or not so quiet....

IF YOU ****ERS DON'T DO A PICK SWAP WITH US AND THROW IN A FREE ******* 2ND ROUNDER, WE'LL ******* BID ON YOUR ******* ACADEMY/FS NOMINEES!!! YOU GET MY ******* DRIFT?!?!

I nominate MrsEddieBetts to run the negotiations....

Of course, we would only be trying to help them select an extra quality player with their first pick ....

With a small consultancy fee attached 😎

I couldn't care less for next years second, but am glad we didn't allow next years first to leave us, given the options we had.
It will be important.

Everything tells me that if we are to move on our #9, it will be to Gold Coast. we'll see.
Have to agree. picks 15 and 20 for pick 9 is substantially in our favour. GC were holding out for pick 9 in the negotiations for Martin and may come at us out of desperation if they have a certain player in mind. Unless we are really keen on a player we believe will fall to us, we should, if offered, take their two picks imo. I wouldn't be disappointed if we landed Robertson or Rivers at pick 15 and Williams at pick 20 for example. Quality players tick, meets our list management needs tick.

I would also like to bundle up picks 43 and 57 for a low 30s pick and in the hope SDK or Taheny possibly drop down the draft order.

Dirk

Have to agree. picks 15 and 20 for pick 9 is substantially in our favour. GC were holding out for pick 9 in the negotiations for Martin and may come at us out of desperation if they have a certain player in mind. Unless we are really keen on a player we believe will fall to us, we should, if offered, take their two picks imo. I wouldn't be disappointed if we landed Robertson or Rivers at pick 15 and Williams at pick 20 for example. Quality players tick, meets our list management needs tick.

I would also like to bundle up picks 43 and 57 for a low 30s pick and in the hope SDK or Taheny possibly drop down the draft order.

Dirk

I don't think it should be desperation but diplomacy.

Gold Coast were silly but it wasn't as if it was a vendetta against Carlton nor hate upon Martin.
The situation has cooled and wise heads would make good of a situation that was bad....or at least that's what I'd want us and them to do.

Make it a simple matter for Martin to get to us and a pick swap that meets both teams desires (should that be the case), shake hands and then get on with business. Simple.

Gold Coast were silly but it wasn't as if it was a vendetta against Carlton nor hate upon Martin.
The situation has cooled and wise heads would make good of a situation that was bad....or at least that's what I'd want us and them to do.

Make it a simple matter for Martin to get to us and a pick swap that meets both teams desires (should that be the case), shake hands and then get on with business. Simple.
To do the right thing pick swap wise would mean waiting until draft night, a month away.

For the Suns to do the right thing Martin wise, means them cutting him in the next 2 days.

To do the right thing pick swap wise would mean waiting until draft night, a month away.

For the Suns to do the right thing Martin wise, means them cutting him in the next 2 days.

If GC do cut Martin, we'll have a pretty good idea of what may go down and we won't have to wait until draft night.

For that to come about though may need some interference from the GC List Management team and the CFC's CEO. How messy is that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If GC do cut Martin, we'll have a pretty good idea of what may go down and we won't have to wait until draft night.

For that to come about though may need some interference from the GC List Management team and the CFC's CEO. How messy is that?

It won’t happen, which means any potential deal will not be tied to Martin in any way.

I would like to see us trade pick 9 to G.C. for 15 and the Suns delist Martin so that he comes to us as a free agent without "risking" him in the PSD or the National draft. G.C. end up with picks 1-2-9-20 in the draft, we get 15 & Martin..........but Cochrane would probably blow a fuse if SOS tried to get that done........... :eek:
Craig Cameron, is that you?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Ultimately that would be the ideal scenario as we would receive 10 & 22 for dropping one place in the order but as u said would probably have to throw something extra in, would prefer to use a future pick as the sweetener rather than 43 this year, would also look to try and get another pick in the late 20s early 30s for Pickett.
Kemp with 10
Williams with 22 or if gone Cooper Stephens.
Pickett with late 20s early 30s pick
Would be a very nice draft haul.
Tell me a game to watch that I’ll like Pickett in. I haven’t been impressed so far.

How is this not draft tampering?
#9 for #15 & #20 by themselves are fine; but, a nod, wink & handshake to release Martin is very blatant draft tampering.
Also, how can the AFL even be seen as endorsing this?

How is this not draft tampering?
#9 for #15 & #20 by themselves are fine; but, a nod, wink & handshake to release Martin is very blatant draft tampering.
Also, how can the AFL even be seen as endorsing this?
It can be disguised easily, why would Suns keep a player against their wishes, it’s counterproductive , OOC and disgruntled no way Suns will keep Martin on the list, he’s of little use to the them and walked a long time ago.

Re: D Stephens

Given the prospect that he’s a real chance for us at 9/10 I’ve watched a few of his games now, including an SANFL one.

Firstly the bad: he is a bit weak in the body as I’ve said previously. Isn’t just skinny, is also a bit weak. It no doubt affects his game. A bit. Not that much though.

The rest is good. He’s a super runner. Don’t call him an athlete, call him a runner. The sanfl game I watched showed him in his best light. Just never stopped working from contest to contest. Genuine Oxygen Brother if he joins us. 6 min for 2km. But has pace too. I felt by the end of the year in the sanfl he was using it better than he did at the champs. He was more on the move at stoppages and hit the ball with all his pace.

He’s obviously a good kick. Don’t overstate it. Just good. Not amazing. I’d call it ‘neat’. His right foot is also effective. Hands are clean and solid without being amazing.

He’s a two way player. Runs hard both ways. Tackles reasonably well despite his physical deficiencies. Tackles can be broken maybe more than average. Smothers a lot I noticed. Stays really involved in the game.

The part of his game I hadn’t noticed and made me think differently about him was his decision making and handballing in close. They are excellent. That side of his game coupled with his running and speed make him an excellent first receiver option playing on ball. Loose ball get player also. Not hard ball get.

People call him a ‘winger’ because they stereotype him due to his slight build and strong running. I think playing him there under utilises his pace off the mark and his hands and decision making in close. I think he’s an on baller. The better games I saw of him were in that role too.

I’d be more than happy with him at our pick. I’d now be surprised if he’s actually still there. Has a lot of upside too if he can strengthen up.

Genuine footballer. Knows where it’s going. Knows how to get it. Knows what to do with it.

Last edited:
It can be disguised easily, why would Suns keep a player against their wishes, it’s counterproductive , OOC and disgruntled no way Suns will keep Martin on the list, he’s of little use to the them and walked a long time ago.
If it is obvious enough for us to discuss, it's not much of a disguise

Fox has written that GCFC hadn’t actually offered a contract to JM this year (maybe a carry over from last year..), which if it was the case, would lend him to a DFA situation.

“ Gold Coast has the first pick of the pre-season draft but is unlikely to select Martin, considering the club hasn’t put a new contract in front of him all year”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back