List Mgmt. Pick 9

Remove this Banner Ad

Might work in our favour if we get the chance to swap with GWS for 6.
Our 2020 first would mean they get Green for late pick points so they should be up for it.
Their 2020 2nd for our picks 43 57 70 gives them 600 and they'd only be 150-odd short.

Sounds good, could anyone else beat us to it?

Might have to visit the stocker trade thread if that comes off

Surely we take the best available but would love to see another gun mid to help out Crippa & Co
My fingers are crossed we get Deven Robertson, tough mid averaged over 30 touches a game and received the Larke medal best player of the under 18 carnival just as Walshy did the year before and named as the skipper of the All Australian side it's a fair CV

Might work in our favour if we get the chance to swap with GWS for 6.
Our 2020 first would mean they get Green for late pick points so they should be up for it.
Their 2020 2nd for our picks 43 57 70 gives them 600 and they'd only be 150-odd short.
Missed this sorry - posted similar this AM in Draft Thread. I like the idea.

Have any of the ITK posters indicated whether we are likely to use pick 9 or trade it, or is it still up in the air?

Future picks are worth less than current picks. Some of these scenarios seem to value them higher.

In business there's a sliding depreciation but is that the case in AFL, you back recruiters to know the strength of the drafts

This was my query as well.
The more I dig and do some research the more I start to like Ash.
Stephens is a more prolific ballwinner and has a better contested side to his game than LOB.
Stephens will need to build his body as he's only slight but in time he should play through the centre square whereas LOB is more similar to Isaac Smith as a fixture on a wing.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have any of the ITK posters indicated whether we are likely to use pick 9 or trade it, or is it still up in the air?

We're all waiting for the pick 9 rumours to surface :p

Now with the live trading, I think clubs will be less inclined to commit to players pre-draft and potentially plan live trades on draft night with other clubs in the event a specific player is still remaining or off the board. As such, clubs will probably become more tight-lipped to try and achieve more favourable outcomes.

I'd be more than happy with either of these 3 (below) but still leaning towards Robertson just looks to be a perfect fit for us.
Add this bloke in our midfield rotation with Cripps, Murphy, Curnow, Walsh, Settlefield, SPS, Fisher, Stocker, Dow, Cuningham, O'Brien, & Kennedy just have to give them a year or 2 to gel as a unit. My fingers are crossed for Murphy, Simpson, & Ed that it all happens sooner than planned ala Lions this year.

Deven ROBERTSON
Clubs:
Perth/Western Australia
Position: Inside Midfielder
Size: 184cm, 81kg
Bio: No player had a better Under 18 Championships than Robertson, with the midfielder winning the Larke Medal after breaking Sam Walsh’s record for the most touches in a four-game carnival. His ball-winning ability is second to none, with Robertson averaging 30 disposals, 6.8 tackles and 4.8 clearances during the championships. His clearance work is another area of strength, while the natural leader had a consistent season in the WAFL Colts. Shoulder surgery ended Robertson’s season early, with the nephew of West Coast great Darren Glass a potential top-10 pick.

Lachie ASH
Clubs:
Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country
Position: Medium Defender
Size: 187cm, 83kg
Bio: You wouldn’t have missed Ash’s eye-catching runs if you tuned in to the Under 18 Championships during the middle of the year. The 18-year-old loves the take the ball under his arm and run his 15 metres, often taking another bounce before banging the ball long inside 50. He set up Vic Country’s victory against South Australia, with a pinpoint kick to hit up Brodie Kemp in the dying seconds, with Kemp slotting the goal. Ash averaged 23 disposals in the carnival and has been one of the better Murray Bushranger players in the NAB League. He still has work to do in terms of winning the contested ball, but his booming right foot kick makes him a player you want to have the ball in their hands.

Dylan STEPHENS
Clubs:
Norwood/South Australia
Position: Outside Midfielder
Size: 183cm, 74kg
Bio: Stephens should be the first South Australian selected in the 2019 draft, following a strong season across all levels. The left footer uses his pinpoint kicking to spot targets inside 50, likened to West Coast’s Andrew Gaff and GWS midfielder Josh Kelly. Stephens averaged 23.5 disposals during the Under 18 Championships and was named in the All-Australian team. He might only be lightly framed, but he held his spot in Norwood’s SANFL League team, winning the ball on the outside.

I am certainly no expert on the draft but I am picking for Carlton in our phantom draft. See here for thread - https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2019-phantom-draft.1231798/

There were a few still available at that pick who I would be comfortable picking but ultimately I settled on Ash who I think is not just best available but also a great fit for us. There are obviously areas of his game that need work but he has so much going for him and as a package he is very attractive for us IMO.

As mentioned below if the draft was to play out as our phantom has I would be open to trading the pick as there were still a few prospects I would be comfortable taking inside the first round. Given who was still on the board I reckon there would have been some good offers coming our way too.

Anyway, here is what I wrote for Ash...

I love the idea of trading this pick on draft night and if the draft pans out as it has here then I'd expect there to be a few clubs very keen on moving up the draft board.

There are a number of prospects still on the board that I'd be comfortable picking here, so I'd expect at least one to still be there at whatever pick we were to hold after trading.

I would 100% have put in a bid for Henry at this pick but alas was beaten to the punch. It would not at all surprise if we put a bid in when the real thing comes around, and I would expect Fremantle to match any bid in this range.

There's probably 4 prospects I'm considering here:

1) A clear slider. Tempting but I'm not seeing the appeal, given he's not a great kick nor is he particularly quick

2) A ruckman who I am putting a line through for Carlton despite being very highly rated. Watch for clubs needing a ruck prospect to be very keen on this pick.

3) A utility who looks to be a seriously impressive athlete at his height, a contested bull...but ultimately too big a risk for me given he's coming off a serious knee injury.

4) A medium running defender with blistering pace and arguably the best skills in this draft class.

And I'm going to lock in option number 4 thanks Eddie.

Pick 9 - Carlton - Lachie Ash

Dylan Stephens is my #1 choice at this pick but I'll very happily settle for Ash who looks to have plenty going for him as a young footballer.

+ Elite disposal
+ Vision and decision making
+ Pace and inclination to use it
+ Endurance

Ticks a lot of boxes already and I think he's a great fit for us. Sure there are things he needs to work on but basically, if you've got the above mentioned things on your side, I think you're a really strong chance of having a very good career at AFL level.

The main query appears to be whether he'll be able to transition to a role further up the ground but I think we place too much emphasis on what players (particularly young footballers) can't do as opposed to what they can do and do well.

I think he's a very viable option here even if we're not sure whether he has the scope to move up onto a wing.

Looks to be a very similar player to Simmo and being able to spend a year or two learning off him is a massive bonus.

Makes you wonder whom Geelong is eyeing for the wanting our pick 9!

I think it is assumed they are eyeing the big guys Jackson or McAsey. Which co-incidentally we may not be after but others after us and before Geelong would take.

I would think, and it seems like, there will be plenty of interest in Melbourne's Pick 8 and our 9. They are sweet spots in this live draft for a wanted faller or favorite or F/S and NGA.

Interesting read.
Even more interesting is that it looks like Geelong are interested in our pick 9.

Fremantle's draft is delicately poised. At pick seven they could land local midfielder Deven Robertson or South Australian runner Dylan Stephens, while Flanders, who has family in Western Australia, has also been linked to the Dockers.
But they will be nervously waiting for when a bid comes for Next Generation Academy prospect Liam Henry, with Melbourne (pick No.8) and Carlton (pick No.9) considering the move.

Serong and Brodie Kemp, who both trained at Carlton earlier this year, will be strongly considered by the Blues if they are available at pick No.9.

All their later picks plus more (we might be able to help there too)
And then later on they probably need to trade back into this draft

The only late picks you have this year of any value are 45 and 53, which won't leave GWS with enough points to match a bid for Green.

Yes they'd be 170 short.
I thought it was closer when I did it on the weekend.
The idea of them trading down to 9 is better

Why would they do that? Pick 9 would just get gobbled up on a bid for Green at Pick 4/5 from Crows/Sydney.

GWS will have to trade their Pick 6 OUT of this draft with someone who's probably going to be bottom 6 next year AND who has the back end picks this year to help them with a bid for Green.

At the moment the only two clubs who look like being able to facilitate that are GC and the Crows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back