List Mgmt. Pick 9

Remove this Banner Ad

It's interesting to hear about the review of the points discount being given to clubs for academy tied players, with the possibility being that the discount is reduced or removed entirely for the top 30.

One of the possible #1 picks is tied to the Bulldogs academy, could this open the door to trading with them to give them more currency next year in return for something back this year?

Sounds like we are in a sweet spot in the draft. Twomey thinks both us and Freo are line ball between Stephens and Serong and we will pick whoever they don’t. The teams behind us also want one of them. I’d prefer to just take the pick and take the player we see as the best available rather than trade down looking for the big score, whilst missing out on our most highly rated.

It’s interesting, Twomey thinks Melbourne would love Serong and would take him if available. He is tipped to be drafted at their original draft pick, they are missing out on the player they wanted for pick 28. I don’t want to see us do a trade like that.

After extensive (at least 18-20 minutes on YouTube) research, I’m comfortable to announce my rankings for #9.

1. Stephens - what a mover. We desperately need a combination of pace with quality, smart disposal. He fits the bill perfectly.

2. Kemp - put him away for 2020 and give him 18 months getting Russelled. 2022 he, Cripps and Setters will be brutalising opposition midfields in a weekly basis.

3. Serong - I like his aggression, he’s got a highly focused attack on the contest. Plays a bit heavy for his size somehow, and I’m wondering (although Serong is pacier) whether Kennedy is already giving us the production we’d be hoping for from Serong, if not in style but in numbers (except F50 tackles).

personally I wouldnt trade down, these three are high end talents and I’m not convinced we need numbers coming through, just targeted high quality. If not Serong at 9 I’d go pure need at 43 and grab a small forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like we are in a sweet spot in the draft. Twomey thinks both us and Freo are line ball between Stephens and Serong and we will pick whoever they don’t. The teams behind us also want one of them. I’d prefer to just take the pick and take the player we see as the best available rather than trade down looking for the big score, whilst missing out on our most highly rated.

It’s interesting, Twomey thinks Melbourne would love Serong and would take him if available. He is tipped to be drafted at their original draft pick, they are missing out on the player they wanted for pick 28. I don’t want to see us do a trade like that.
I think Freo are in the sweet spot. They may come out of this with Young, Stephens and Henry.

Amazing.

After extensive (at least 18-20 minutes on YouTube) research, I’m comfortable to announce my rankings for #9.

1. Stephens - what a mover. We desperately need a combination of pace with quality, smart disposal. He fits the bill perfectly.

2. Kemp - put him away for 2020 and give him 18 months getting Russelled. 2022 he, Cripps and Setters will be brutalising opposition midfields in a weekly basis.

3. Serong - I like his aggression, he’s got a highly focused attack on the contest. Plays a bit heavy for his size somehow, and I’m wondering (although Serong is pacier) whether Kennedy is already giving us the production we’d be hoping for from Serong, if not in style but in numbers (except F50 tackles).

personally I wouldnt trade down, these three are high end talents and I’m not convinced we need numbers coming through, just targeted high quality. If not Serong at 9 I’d go pure need at 43 and grab a small forward.
I wouldn't, if we think he's worth it yet still available as far down as that pick, there's just as much chance that he'll still be there as low as our first rookie selection (not that we'd necessarily risk waiting that long). There's patterns you can observe as to who might still be available at which pick and where the value is in most drafts. That's because clubs become tactical and it pays to go with the flow in that regard. Traditionally, you get promising developing talls and utilities at the range we are talking about and they wont be available at the very end of the draft, small forwards very well might be.

Last edited:
Look I am clearly obsessed....

I’ve watched Simon Dalrymple (Swans recruiter) just now on Swans TV. They posted a video of him today.

At five he said he was looking at ‘Ash, Kemp, Flanders and Young’. He also said he was looking to ‘maximise value at every pick’.

SO

Why not trade down with us? Take Kemp. He will still be there. We give them a bonus second rounder next year to help with Academy picks/points (they have players there next year). s**t I’d throw in another pick somewhere if they wanted.

I shouldn’t, but do see them as bonus picks given we were trying to trade them for Martin anyway.

Then take whoever we want at 5/6.

Like....why not?

I think Freo are in the sweet spot. They may come out of this with Young, Stephens and Henry.

Amazing.
I think we both are. People who have been watching these kids play live all year rate Serong a lot higher than what bigfooty seems to. Twomey doesn’t sound overly confident on his call that Freo will take Serong ahead of Stephens so it will be interesting to see which way they go.

Freo do seem pretty good at deceiving the other clubs about who they are taking (Twomey gets his info about Freo from the other 17 clubs). Part of the reason they have been hard to predict is that they have made some odd choices with their first round picks, so if their trend of making odd choices continues you don’t need to worry about them taking Stephens (though there does seem to be a good chance they will).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back