Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
The 1980s is regarded as possibly the decade that changed football forever.

Who would make it in an All Australian side from that era?

The All Australian Team must consist of the following:

-Starting 18
-4 interchange players
-4 emergencies
-1 coach
-1 captain
-1 umpire

Criteria for selection:
-Must have played in the VFL, SANFL, WAFL;
-Must have played in a State of Origin game for Victoria, South Australia or Western Australia;
-Must have won a Brownlow, Magarey, Sandover Medal.

Ayres Langford Doull
Mew Daniher Glendenning
Dipper Bradley Flower
Brereton Quinlan GAS
Dunstall Lockett Johnson
Madden Watson Matthews

Jeans
Daniher or Bradley maybe

Some of them started their peak in the 70s or ended their peak in the 90s.

I ignored the requirement for individual awards because that team would get flogged by my team.

Same with SOO, because VIC stopped caring about it by the 1980s.

I also only took VFL players because the ones who chose to hide in the provincial leagues were never really tested.

My team:

B: Gary Ayres (Haw) Chris Langford (Haw) Bruce Doull (Carl)

HB: Chris Mew (Haw) Bill Duckworth (Ess) Terry Daniher (Sth Melb/Ess)

C: Keith Greig (NM) Russell Ebert (Port Adel-SANFL)(c) Robert Flower (Melb)

HF: Ross Glendinning (NM/WCE) Dermott Brereton (Haw) Gary Ablett snr (Haw/Geel)

F: Tony Lockett (StK/Syd) Jason Dunstall (Haw) Maurice Rioli (Sth Frem/Rich)

R: Simon Madden (Ess) Tim Watson (Ess) Leigh Matthews (Haw)

INT: Stephen Michael (Sth Frem) Robert Wiley (Rich/WCE) Michael Aish (Norwood) Garry McIntosh (Norwood)

EMERG: Stephen Kernahan (Glen/Carl) Kevin Bartlett (Rich) Andrew Bews (Geel) Mark Lee (Rich)

COACH: Allan Jeans (Haw)

My team:

INT: Stephen Michael (Sth Frem) Robert Wiley (Rich/WCE) Michael Aish (Norwood) Garry McIntosh (Norwood)

EMERG: Stephen Kernahan (Glen/Carl) Kevin Bartlett (Rich) Andrew Bews (Geel) Mark Lee (Rich)

Michael Aish a notable absentee from the AFL Hall of Fame, surely that will be corrected in coming years.

Ayres Langford Doull
Mew Daniher Glendenning
Dipper Bradley Flower
Brereton Quinlan GAS
Dunstall Lockett Johnson
Madden Watson Matthews

Jeans
Daniher or Bradley maybe

I ignored the requirement for individual awards because that team would get flogged by my team.

I also only took VFL players because the ones who chose to hide in the provincial leagues were never really tested.
Good side. I would take Williams in the guts ahead of Bradley, Daicos ahead of Johnston, Roos ahead of Mew, and Blight, for me, was so good even if only for a few years in the 80s that I’d have him in ahead of Dermie. For sheer weight of influence during the decade though Dermie probably deserves the spot.

For balance, a small defender might see TD to the bench. Andy Collins might’ve been the best of that lot. Surprisingly few options for a genuine star back pocket. Harmes, Nankervis, Hardie, are the closest I can think of. Shows you how much Wanganeen revolutionised the status of the small defender.

Last edited:
Good side. I would take Williams in the guts ahead of Bradley, Daicos ahead of Johnston, Toos ahead of Mew, and Blight, for me, was so good even if only for a few years in the 80s that I’d have him in ahead of Dermie. For sheer weight of influence during the decade though Dermie probably deserves the spot.

For balance, a small defender might see TD to the bench. Andy Collins might’ve been the best of that lot. Surprisingly few options for a genuine star back pocket. Harmes, Nankervis, Hardie, are the closest I can think of. Shows you how much Wanganeen revolutionised the status of the small defender.

Williams really peaked at the end of the 80s and into the 90s so in a combined list would get in.

Daicos I think makes sense.

Mew was the 1st one picked in a team which played in 7 grand finals in the 80s. Noone is going to convince me to change. He pushed Knights out of CHB in our Team of the Century :)

Williams really peaked at the end of the 80s and into the 90s so in a combined list would get in.

Daicos I think makes sense.

Mew was the 1st one picked in a team which played in 7 grand finals in the 80s. Noone is going to convince me to change. He pushed Knights out of CHB in our Team of the Century :)
Bradley had a similar career timeline to Williams. Diesel won a Brownlow and took the baton from Watson as best midfielder in the comp by turn of the decade. Roos easily ahead of Mew for mine, especially seeing as he played from around 82 but I can understand your reverence for Mew and his role in a dominant era-defining team. I’m much the same in being unmoved in my belief that Fletcher makes my best combined team in my time.

They’re small subjective things at the end of the day but your team is otherwise as I’d choose it.

My team:

Love your work and your respect to non VFL players.

Ayres Langford Doull
Mew Daniher Glendenning
Dipper Bradley Flower
Brereton Quinlan GAS
Dunstall Lockett Johnson
Madden Watson Matthews

Jeans
Daniher or Bradley maybe

Only one WA player and only SA player, go love yourself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back