State of Origin Pick an Australian team from 40 years of State of Origin history.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
Seeing this is the 40th year of State of Origin, what about selecting an Australian side made up of the NSW and Queensland teams from 40 years of Origin history, to play against Great Britain in a one-off Test.

I will have a go. Queensland supporter that has been watching since the early to mid 90's. How is this?

FB Slater
WG Ettinghausen
CE Meninga
CE Daley
WG Inglis
FE Lewis
HB Johns
FR Lazarus
HK Smith (C)
FR Civoniceva
SR Tallis
SR Sironen
LK Clyde

IC Harrogan
IC Webcke
IC Menzies
IC Fittler

This is tough. Would like a squad of about 40.

For the record I have a passionate and unhealthy hatred (in a footy sense) for Qld. Trying to throw all bias out the window so some of these selections will be painful to write. My opinion of the best 17 could be different tomorrow that's how close some positions are for me. Also only had to play one game to include their whole career. Only 2 true forwards on the bench.

1. Slater
2. Inglis
3. Meninga
4. Kenny
5. Grothe (snr)
6. Lewis
7. Thurston
8. Beetson
9. Smith
10. Lazarus
11. W.Pearce
12. Reddy
13. R. Price

14. Tallis
15. Civoniceva
16. Fittler
17. Johns

1. Lockyer
2. Eric Grothe Snr
3. Mal Meninga
4. Daley
5. Inglis
6. Lewis
7. Thurston
8. Beetson (capt)
9. Smith
10. Lazarus
11. Tallis
12. Pearce
13. Clyde

14. Johns
15. Civonoceva
16. Webeke
17. Ray Price
18th man Langer

Have also gone to the effort of picking an "A" side. More names from the 80's, which I admit is more on reputation than what I saw myself.

FB Brasher
WG Shearer
CE Miles
CE Cronin
WG O'Connor
FE Lockyer
HB Langer
FR Beetson (C)
HK Elias
FR Roach
SR Gillmeister
SR Pearce
LK Price

IC Dowling
IC Larsen
IC Lindner
IC Wing

Last edited:
Queensland. I was always having Lewis and Lockyer in my side.
I had to have Lewis, and tried to be as unbiased as possible. Had given thought to putting all 3 in and playing Lewis at lock and Lockyer at 5/8. Which would have meant either of Sironen or Menzies would have dropped out. Clyde would have moved to an edge forward.

I had to have Lewis, and tried to be as unbiased as possible. Had given thought to putting all 3 in and playing Lewis at lock and Lockyer at 5/8. Which would have meant either of Sironen or Menzies would have dropped out. Clyde would have moved to an edge forward.

Personally as good as Slater was, Lockyer was even better at Origin level, and I'm not saying Slater wasn't good. My second fullback would actually have been Minichello

My Australian ‘A’ team to play against Great Britain at Wembley Stadium:

1. Garry Jack (NSW)
2. Dale Shearer (Qld)
3. Greg Inglis (Qld)
4. Brett Kenny (NSW)
5. Michael O’Connor (NSW)
6. Wally Lewis (Qld-c)
7. Peter Sterling (NSW)
8. Arthur Beetson (Qld)
9. Ben Elias (NSW)
10. Glenn Lazarus (NSW)
11. Wayne Pearce (NSW)
12. Gordon Tallis (Qld)
13. Bradley Clyde (NSW)

Interchange:
14. Andrew Johns (NSW)
15. Allan Langer (Qld)
16. Cameron Smith (Qld)
17. Ray Price (NSW)

Coach: Mal Meninga (Qld)

And this is the ‘B‘ side to face New Zealand at Carlaw Park:

1. Billy Slater (Qld)
2. Andrew Ettinghausen (NSW)
3. Laurie Daley (NSW)
4. Gene Miles (Qld)
5. Eric Grothe (NSW)
6. Brad Fittler (NSW)
7. Steve Mortimer (NSW-c)
8. Steve Roach (NSW)
9. Danny Buderus (NSW)
10. Bob Lindner (Qld)
11. Shane Webcke (Qld)
12. Greg Dowling (Qld)
13. Paul Gallen (NSW)

Interchange:
14. Jarryd Hayne (NSW)
15. Ricky Stuart (NSW)
16. Paul Vautin (Qld)
17. Noel Cleal (NSW)

Coach: Phil Gould (NSW)

Last edited:
I'm excluding players like Beetson who were barely hanging on by the time they played Origin. Also I'm excluding players like Hayne for example who's best was obviously exceptional but was very brief. I've opted for extended class. And I've factored in, as much as I can, players' Origin exploits and reputation rather than their careers in general. I've picked players I watched.

1. Slater - very hard to leave out Lockyer who for a time was the lone flash of class in the Queensland side. Brasher was the best NSW fullback I saw
2. Inglis - could play anywhere in the backline aside from halfback and his natural brilliance makes him too hard to leave out. Probably had his biggest Origin impact on the wing
3. Meninga - doesn't really need explaining.
4. Renouf - probably the best hole running centre I've ever seen
5. Ettingshausen - brilliant finisher on the wing or in the centres
6. Wally Lewis - Picks himself
7. Andrew Johns - wanted to pick Thurston but he just gets shaded for me. Johns was a brute in defence and could cover dummy half if he had to

8. Petero Civoniceva - the man was like clockwork and though for a time he was in Webcke's shadow as the best prop in the world, he went past him by the time he finished up
9. Cameron Smith - needs no explanation
10. Paul Harragon - this one was hard. I felt that Webcke was probably never at his best in Origin. Chief would always lift no matter what
11. Ian Roberts - this was difficult but I remember watching Roberts as a kid and thinking that there is no way anyone could be more intimidating than this guy. The war paint under the eyes, the shoulder pads - he was the human equivalent of a shark. Emotionless and deadly
12. Gordon Tallis - as a Queensland fan I actually often felt Gordy underachieved at Origin level but he was still the best back-rower in the game for a decade
13. Brad Fittler - Clyde has pretty good claims on this spot but as an actual footballer Fittler was better, and he can cover centre and five-eighth obviously. Curiously I don't think Fittler ever won a MOTM award in Origin but he never ever played a bad game

14. Lazarus - Toss up between him and Chief, they're interchangable
15. Gary Larson - This will probably seem like an odd one but he was the best defensive back rower in the game during his career and he was built for SOO footy. I remember Peter Wilkins describing his 50000th tackle for a game as "larson is there to wrap him up yet again.... like an android that won't stop." Summed him up to a tee
16. Steve Price - in his younger day could cover second row, by his retirement he was just a front row machine. Again might seem a bit odd but he was a mainstay for 12 series, played nearly 30 games, incredibly underrated
17. Craig Wing - Not in the class of footballer as some of the others that have been picked but easily the most versatile player I've ever seen and could play anywhere bar prop or second row.

I'm excluding players like Beetson who were barely hanging on by the time they played Origin. Also I'm excluding players like Hayne for example who's best was obviously exceptional but was very brief. I've opted for extended class. And I've factored in, as much as I can, players' Origin exploits and reputation rather than their careers in general. I've picked players I watched.

1. Slater - very hard to leave out Lockyer who for a time was the lone flash of class in the Queensland side. Brasher was the best NSW fullback I saw
2. Inglis - could play anywhere in the backline aside from halfback and his natural brilliance makes him too hard to leave out. Probably had his biggest Origin impact on the wing
3. Meninga - doesn't really need explaining.
4. Renouf - probably the best hole running centre I've ever seen
5. Ettingshausen - brilliant finisher on the wing or in the centres
6. Wally Lewis - Picks himself
7. Andrew Johns - wanted to pick Thurston but he just gets shaded for me. Johns was a brute in defence and could cover dummy half if he had to

8. Petero Civoniceva - the man was like clockwork and though for a time he was in Webcke's shadow as the best prop in the world, he went past him by the time he finished up
9. Cameron Smith - needs no explanation
10. Paul Harragon - this one was hard. I felt that Webcke was probably never at his best in Origin. Chief would always lift no matter what
11. Ian Roberts - this was difficult but I remember watching Roberts as a kid and thinking that there is no way anyone could be more intimidating than this guy. The war paint under the eyes, the shoulder pads - he was the human equivalent of a shark. Emotionless and deadly
12. Gordon Tallis - as a Queensland fan I actually often felt Gordy underachieved at Origin level but he was still the best back-rower in the game for a decade
13. Brad Fittler - Clyde has pretty good claims on this spot but as an actual footballer Fittler was better, and he can cover centre and five-eighth obviously. Curiously I don't think Fittler ever won a MOTM award in Origin but he never ever played a bad game

14. Lazarus - Toss up between him and Chief, they're interchangable
15. Gary Larson - This will probably seem like an odd one but he was the best defensive back rower in the game during his career and he was built for SOO footy. I remember Peter Wilkins describing his 50000th tackle for a game as "larson is there to wrap him up yet again.... like an android that won't stop." Summed him up to a tee
16. Steve Price - in his younger day could cover second row, by his retirement he was just a front row machine. Again might seem a bit odd but he was a mainstay for 12 series, played nearly 30 games, incredibly underrated
17. Craig Wing - Not in the class of footballer as some of the others that have been picked but easily the most versatile player I've ever seen and could play anywhere bar prop or second row.
As a fellow Queensland fan, who is going tonight, the man for me who underachieved more than Tallis was Renouf, who is still my favourite all time player, and the reason I started watching Rugby League. In would personally take Renouf out, move Fittler to Centre and Clyde to Lock. Still a great side. Good call about both Roberts and Larson as well. Larson also held the record for the most consecutive origins for a long time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a fellow Queensland fan, who is going tonight, the man for me who underachieved more than Tallis was Renouf, who is still my favourite all time player, and the reason I started watching Rugby League. In would personally take Renouf out, move Fittler to Centre and Clyde to Lock. Still a great side. Good call about both Roberts and Larson as well. Larson also held the record for the most consecutive origins for a long time.

Very fair move. People tend to forget Fittler cut his representative teeth as a centre, as Alexander and one of the Izzards from memory as well as Steve Carter were at 5-8 during his early days at Penrith.

Fair call about Renouf too, I think he did save his best footy for the Broncos. He does stick in my mind as having played a big role in THAT try though so for sentimental reasons he stands out to me!

Very fair move. People tend to forget Fittler cut his representative teeth as a centre, as Alexander and one of the Izzards from memory as well as Steve Carter were at 5-8 during his early days at Penrith.

Fair call about Renouf too, I think he did save his best footy for the Broncos. He does stick in my mind as having played a big role in THAT try though so for sentimental reasons he stands out to me!
It is Brad Izzard that you are thinking of. Though he had a brother Craig who played around the same time, who is sadly better known more recently for the wrong reasons.

I was just talking the side you pick and the change I would make. I picked Daley at Centre, who is the only other glaring omission for mine.

Renouf always played better for Australia than Queensland as well for some reason. I have a theory is that not having Lazarus to lay the platform at Origin level had a bit to do with that. Also, regarding THAT TRY, it never happens if not for the ball over the top from Willie Carne to the Pearl.

It is Brad Izzard that you are thinking of. Though he had a brother Craig who played around the same time, who is sadly better known more recently for the wrong reasons.

I was just talking the side you pick and the change I would make. I picked Daley at Centre, who is the only other glaring omission for mine.

Renouf always played better for Australia than Queensland as well for some reason. I have a theory is that not having Lazarus to lay the platform at Origin level had a bit to do with that. Also, regarding THAT TRY, it never happens if not for the ball over the top from Willie Carne to the Pearl.

i actually met the third brother Grant who is a greyhound trainer now and an acquaintance of my father in law. He famously got rubbed out for biting years and years ago. He gave me a bottle of rum when I met him though so I think he's just misunderstood.

Willie Carne = how good

I'm enjoying reading this thread, but isn't there the danger that posters are making the same mistake as the Blues, by trying to crow-bar too many play-makers in there? :p

Probably a bit of recency bias, but does Addo-Carr sneak onto a wing?
No, he does not sneak on to a wing.

All of Ettinghausen, Inglis, Shearer, Sing, O'Connor, Wishart, Tuqiri, Carne and Hancock are all ahead of him. Great player all the same, and easily the best winger going around at the moment.

I'm enjoying reading this thread, but isn't there the danger that posters are making the same mistake as the Blues, by trying to crow-bar too many play-makers in there? :p
I think you possibly point. In defence of my own side though, the only player in my run on side that you could say that about may be Daley, who started in the centres and then moved 5/8. On the bench I have Menzies, who is a genuine utility, could play anywhere apart from prop, and Fittler, who can play as a lock and 5/8, similar to Sean O'Loughlin for Wigan.

Probably a bit of recency bias, but does Addo-Carr sneak onto a wing?

Wouldn’t even be in the top 8 or so. If you are looking recent in terms of an outside back Hayne is the closest who has actually won games. As good as Addo-Carr is he’s just a finisher with speed, Hayne could create out of nothing.

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Eric Grothe Sr.
3. Mick Cronin
4. Steve Ella
5. Eric Grothe Jr.
6. Brett Kenny
7. Peter Sterling

13. Ray Price
12. Nathan Hindmarsh
11. Ron Hilditch
10. Arthur Beetson
9. Steve Edge
8. Dean Pay

14. Jason Smith
15. Jim Dymock
16. Geoff Gerard
17. Michael Vella/Peter Wynn

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Eric Grothe Sr.
3. Mick Cronin
4. Steve Ella
5. Eric Grothe Jr.
6. Brett Kenny
7. Peter Sterling

13. Ray Price
12. Nathan Hindmarsh
11. Ron Hilditch
10. Arthur Beetson
9. Steve Edge
8. Dean Pay

14. Jason Smith
15. Jim Dymock
16. Geoff Gerard
17. Michael Vella/Peter Wynn
You couldn't sneak Daniel Wagon in there somewhere.

Gary Larson finished his career at Parra as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back