The Doctor

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2001
In the number 19 jumper
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
Any ideas who or what type of footballer we should go for with our 1st pick in the draft? Do we go with best player available or player best suited to our needs?

In a strong draft I would go for the best player available. In the unlikely event players like Hodge, Power or Polack were available you would be mad not to take them.

However those guys are sure to go very early. Does anyone know anything about Xavier Clarke (NT) or Jamar (SA)? Both have impressive junior resume's. :)

1st pick? Best player -- I would take a lightning fast Jordan McMahon or Rob Murphy every time over an average centre half back/full back who's talent really should have him being drafted mid twenties (like draft selection 26 for example) or early thirties.

Later picks -- recruit for needs -- if there's a dime a dozen midfielder who we're thinking about drafting at 42, but a key position prospect who's likely to go at about 50 -- pick the key position player.

That's how I would go about it, anyway.

Originally posted by Westy_Boy
1st pick? Best player -- I would take a lightning fast Jordan McMahon or Rob Murphy every time over an average centre half back/full back who's talent really should have him being drafted mid twenties (like draft selection 26 for example) or early thirties.

Later picks -- recruit for needs -- if there's a dime a dozen midfielder who we're thinking about drafting at 42, but a key position prospect who's likely to go at about 50 -- pick the key position player.

That's how I would go about it, anyway.

Looks pretty sound to me.

Sorry PC but i will take a 200 game midfielder over a hack key possie player every time.

Originally posted by sigscotty

Looks pretty sound to me.

Sorry PC but i will take a 200 game midfielder over a hack key possie player every time.

Did anyone say anything about Hacks?

Why, o great Sig, would you want yet another midfielder when we so badly lack key possie players? Doesn't make sense.

PC28,

Put it in another way.

This years draft doesn't hold many key position players, until later in the draft, so with pick 10, we have the option of selecting;

a) Absolute gun midfielder from the Calder Cannons, Vic Metro captain, ranked first in the draft camp in various sprint, agility and beep tests. 80% chance of stepping up to become an elite AFL footballer. Touted as a definite top 10 pick.

b) Average cetre half forward from Gippsland. 2 games for Vic Country, 5th in Gippsland U/18 B&F. 30% chance of stepping up to become a good footballer. Touted as a top 30 pick.

Who would you choose?

Originally posted by Westy_Boy

PC28,

Put it in another way.

This years draft doesn't hold many key position players, until later in the draft, so with pick 10, we have the option of selecting;

a) Absolute gun midfielder from the Calder Cannons, Vic Metro captain, ranked first in the draft camp in various sprint, agility and beep tests. 80% chance of stepping up to become an elite AFL footballer. Touted as a definite top 10 pick.

b) Average cetre half forward from Gippsland. 2 games for Vic Country, 5th in Gippsland U/18 B&F. 30% chance of stepping up to become a good footballer. Touted as a top 30 pick.

Who would you choose?

I like the scrawny country kid that gets picked up with the 105th pick of the day that turns into a superstar...

Yeah, i like him too.

Unlucky that 10 years on, there are draft camps, psychological tests, hand span measuring and recruiting managers who make sure that those kids get picked up in the top 5 these days..... meaning he's gone by our pick, and we're left with the gun midfielder (who probably will become a star) or the average CHF (who probably wont make it) to choose from. ;)

Originally posted by PC28

I like the scrawny country kid that gets picked up with the 105th pick of the day that turns into a superstar...

PC, I think those days are gone. Recruiting is more structured and streamlined these days. Even blind Freddy could probably get it right with his 1st and 2nd round picks.

It raises an interesting scenario however that a quality recruiting scout really proves his worth in the middle to latter stages of the draft. I think Scott Clayton is pretty good in this area.

Here's some research on some good draft picks >50 in recent years;

Dixon 77, J.Rawlings 94, *Bradshaw 56, Bizzell 75, Eccles 60, Franchina 84, Brad Scott 85, Pickett 67, Robertson 68, Braun 53, S.Powell 61, *B.McDonald 73, N.Thompson 82, A.Kellaway 71, R.Houlihan 73

* Denotes picked up by Clayton and played in a premiership.

A handy group of players isn't it. Hawks have done super with late picks. Here's hoping Scotty can find a few of this calibre this year.

The way I see this years draft is that there is about 10 outstanding midfielders and 3 or 4 outstanding talls and after that there is just a massive group of midfielders to choose from all with there own qualities.Some players to watch for who have not been mentioned quite as much are Brent Reilly,James Kelly,Andrew Welsh,Mcgough,Shane Harvey and Bartel all of these players I think will go somewhere between 8 and 25.;)

Originally posted by dogboy23
The way I see this years draft is that there is about 10 outstanding midfielders and 3 or 4 outstanding talls and after that there is just a massive group of midfielders to choose from all with there own qualities.Some players to watch for who have not been mentioned quite as much are Brent Reilly,James Kelly,Andrew Welsh,Mcgough,Shane Harvey and Bartel all of these players I think will go somewhere between 8 and 25.;)

I liked Wade Allford from Bendigo. He probably will be available late in the draft. May not even get picked as he is short for a key forward with a stocky frame. But he's a strong mark, quick off the mark and an excellent kick for goal. He would be a hard player to match up on. Since we have this fascination in playing Johnson and Smith at FF this fellow could be worth a try.

If this kid Sampi lasts to pick 10 we have to get him!

Hes a small aboriginie kid and he is an excitement machine and well we are overdue for an aboriginie player ;) Since my HERO Mark West was delisted :( :mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Top Dog
If this kid Sampi lasts to pick 10 we have to get him!

Hes a small aboriginie kid and he is an excitement machine and well we are overdue for an aboriginie player ;) Since my HERO Mark West was delisted :( :mad:

Umm, Mark West was an Islander not an aborigine

Originally posted by LastCall
Brooks would the ideal pick-up although we will most likely land Power.

I wouldn't be upset with Power.

I think Mark West is yet another of those tragic Bulldog players that could have been anything but didn't with us. I have no doubt had he remained injury free in 98-99 he would have been the difference that got us to a premiership. He was explosive. :(

I remember going thru last years drafts and there were not too many tall key position players maybe 10-12 in the whole draft.

Also heard an interview on the radiop after the under 18 championships with a recruiting officer bemoaning that the big key position players were not being picked in the state teams with the exception of NSW.

As for favourite aboriginal players bamblett in 85 wes sensational and who will forget alan thorpe.like huddo avg 2 goals per game !

I think it is most likely that we will end up with one of Power,Harvey,Kelly,Jamar or Bartel but it all depends on who the other club takes.There is always a few surprises.

Originally posted by jboyar

As for favourite aboriginal players bamblett in 85 wes sensational and who will forget alan thorpe.like huddo avg 2 goals per game !

Michael McLean was easily the best aboriginal player we have seen. But Lally was absolutely brilliant. His crumbing in the forward line was great.

Originally posted by PC28

Why, o great Sig, would you want yet another midfielder when we so badly lack key possie players? Doesn't make sense.

"o great sig"??? whats with the attitude? :confused:

I don't want another midfielder. I want the BEST player we can possibly get. Not the best tall player we can possibly get. Not the guy who looks on paper like the one most likely to solve our structural defeciences. Just the best footballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back