Pick Swap 2019 - How Crow Can You Go?

Where will Adelaide finish?

• Total voters

El Topo

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Carlton
People can asses the swap of picks at the end of this season - once final position are known. For example we can assess whether pick 3 for picks 19 and 14 was a good/fair/bad deal.

However it will take years to assess each clubs talent ID/player development of the eventual players involved.

For example Port traded Burgoyne to Hawthorn for 2 first rounders (9 & 16), that was a great deal for Port. So at the time they had the "win".

However, they proceeded to select Moore & Pittard - two spuds (Fyfe went at 20) and Burgoyne has gone on to have a great run with the Hawks, so the Hawks are well and truly in front.

So it was Ports talent ID/player development that was horrible - not the trade.

Had Port selected Fyfe and Talia they would have been the ones way in front, yet the trade hasn't changed.
Your measured and historically sound analysis is all well and good, but this thread is for shitposting and weekly melts. Get with the program.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blue_Fusion

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
People can asses the swap of picks at the end of this season - once final position are known. For example we can assess whether pick 3 for picks 19 and 14 was a good/fair/bad deal.

However it will take years to assess each clubs talent ID/player development of the eventual players involved.

For example Port traded Burgoyne to Hawthorn for 2 first rounders (9 & 16), that was a great deal for Port. So at the time they had the "win".

However, they proceeded to select Moore & Pittard - two spuds (Fyfe went at 20) and Burgoyne has gone on to have a great run with the Hawks, so the Hawks are well and truly in front.

So it was Ports talent ID/player development that was horrible - not the trade.

Had Port selected Fyfe and Talia they would have been the ones way in front, yet the trade hasn't changed.
It won't just be about who Adelaide take with say pick #3. It'll be about anyone taken between pick #3 and say pick #14.

If any of those draftees become a star, we'll cop it because we could've drafted him with pick #3.

rocket18

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The EXERS
I think the trade you used is a great example of where either side loses or both could do well, if of course Port selected one of Talia or Fyfe
They could have had both players, in fact they had 3 picks before Fyfe went and 2 before Talia.

But all clubs have misses with draft selections, nature of the beast.

Wily trout

Team Captain
AFL Club
Carlton
But every other club with a pick in that range should also come under the same pressure if there are stars in that group that they missed.im sure most clubs have missed a gun player and picked a dud somewhere in their drafting history. I have confidence in our recruiting like I have never had and equally confidence in our development that I hadn't had before. I also have strong faith in SOS' recruitment plans. There are so many more layers to this trade than first appear to the eye, and as others have said it will takes years for it to be fully evaluated with clarity.

THE_GUN

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
******** You Troll
Looks like there is a few people here that are at panic stations already, The trade is more based on what Stocker ends up becoming rather than the number the picks end up becoming imo.

Carlton whilst still on 1 win in 8 rounds ould still end up with 4-6 wins which is where i had them at prior to the season and could still easily finish the season 15th/16th which would give crows pick #3/#4 and they could miss out on the 'Top 2 Guns"

GWS
St Kilda x 2
Essendon
Lions
Bulldogs
Fremantle
Melb
Swans
Suns

There are still alot of winnable games there and i can see 4 more games which the blues should win based on their performance's so far this season

Blutopia

Senior List
AFL Club
Carlton
Looks like there is a few people here that are at panic stations already, The trade is more based on what Stocker ends up becoming rather than the number the picks end up becoming imo.

Carlton whilst still on 1 win in 8 rounds ould still end up with 4-6 wins which is where i had them at prior to the season and could still easily finish the season 15th/16th which would give crows pick #3/#4 and they could miss out on the 'Top 2 Guns"

GWS
St Kilda x 2
Essendon
Lions
Bulldogs
Fremantle
Melb
Swans
Suns

There are still alot of winnable games there and i can see 4 more games which the blues should win based on their performance's so far this season
I think I would include Saints x 2 in the very winnable and likely to win games. Not to say we will win all of those winnable games but I think we are a good show in all of them. I think we will win 4-5 out of those winnables and also upset an unlikely top team. End up with 6-7 wins and finish 14-15th.

Blutopia

Senior List
AFL Club
Carlton
So comparing our trade with the crows from last year with 2012/2013 season and same picks. We would get Ben Kennedy (Pick 19 2012) and as current ladder positions this year stand Darcy Lang (2013 pick 16) and crows get Tom Boyd (Pick 1 2013).
Who wins trade?

After today’s news - just some food for thought 😬

AFL Club
Adelaide
So comparing our trade with the crows from last year with 2012/2013 season and same picks. We would get Ben Kennedy (Pick 19 2012) and as current ladder positions this year stand Darcy Lang (2013 pick 16) and crows get Tom Boyd (Pick 1 2013).
Who wins trade?

After today’s news - just some food for thought 😬
Boyd delivered his team a premiership. Kennedy struggled and was delisted, and Lang hasn’t shown much.
Pretty easy to say who wins that trade.

Blutopia

Senior List
AFL Club
Carlton
Boyd delivered his team a premiership. Kennedy struggled and was delisted, and Lang hasn’t shown much.
Pretty easy to say who wins that trade.
Yeah I do agree that Boyd has delivered more so far, however let’s be honest that he only played a handful of good games in his career - one being the GF win. And now he’s done. Ben Kennedy has a few good games but only played 40 and done.
Lang has had injuries but played some solid games and has a goal per game average not much less than Boyd. If he gets his body right, I think he is still in our best 22 from the talent I saw in him at Geelong early career. Either way, he’s still on a list.
GWS who drafted Boyd had him leave after one season and they got Ryan Griffen and pick 6 (Marchbank) in return. Griffen had two years with injury and inconsistent output and Marchbank came home for lower draft swaps. So do we rate that on what GWS got from pick 1?
Maybe if Anderson or Rowell went to Crows they might want to come home to Melbourne after two years. Anderson would definitely be a worry to want to go home to Hawks where his dad won a couple of flags just like Gunston did.
But as I said in my post, it was food for thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MITSUHIRATO

Team Captain
AFL Club
Carlton
Bryce leaving the Crows would be even funnier than the time they took Dean Gore as part of the Dangerfield trade ... only for him to end up leaving them to go play VFL for Geelong again.

Blutopia

Senior List
AFL Club
Carlton
Bryce leaving the Crows would be even funnier than the time they took Dean Gore as part of the Dangerfield trade ... only for him to end up leaving them to go play VFL for Geelong again.
Would we take Gibbs back for a couple of seasons?
Maybe Crows would give us Gibbs and reverse the pick swap in this years first round just to get him off the list.. 🤣

1970crow

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
We only had Gore included in the deal to create an element of doubt as to how badly we were rogered at the trade table. A poster who gets solid inside info on our board has said that Bryce had next to no preseason due to a groin problem and that’s been the cause of his lacklustre intensity. But there’s also been rumblings of personal issues. One thing is certain, his heart never left the CFC, he’d still be there if it was up to him.

Top Bottom