How Crow Can You Go? An Adelaide Football Club Saga

Where will Adelaide finish?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final 8 is not a given now
Sad thing is GC is probably the worst team we could play as we probably win and win well..then the coaches go back to the same narrative and selection policy (ie play douglas and mckay every week). Do carlton want camporeale as a line coach..plenty of us would drive him to the airport if you do

Sad thing is GC is probably the worst team we could play as we probably win and win well..then the coaches go back to the same narrative and selection policy (ie play douglas and mckay every week). Do carlton want camporeale as a line coach..plenty of us would drive him to the airport if you do
So it's Camp's fault you lot were soft tonight then ??

We better win tomorrow now

Next week is a difficult scenario for us. We simply must win tomorrow and pray to every deity in existence that Gold Coast can pull off a miracle.

You know what...having made the trade it doesn’t matter where we finish. All that matters is what we get from them

Don't gloat too much..we are in tbat bad form that gold coast might get a win next week and put us back in pick 1 territory😆
As far as I’m concerned...I haven’t even started gloating yet.
I get enough ‘feels’ by reading the melts on your board.

Well..either enjoy it now or risk waiting until after the melbourne game tomorrow as the narrative may have changed😀
If you knew me, as long as we pull our finger out tomorrow and put in I’ll be happy. If we are insipid like the cows tonight m, then i’ll be peeved but I’ve seen enough recently to have some hope.
A win would be nice...and is gettable.

You know what...having made the trade it doesn’t matter where we finish. All that matters is what we get from them
Yep it's the constant mistake made with assessing pick values - they are only as valuable as what you ultimately buy with them. A higher pick might increase the probability you can select a better player but success and failure in drafting isn't a pure probability equation. The pick number is only half the equation. The selection is the other, more important half.

Yep it's the constant mistake made with assessing pick values - they are only as valuable as what you ultimately buy with them. A higher pick might increase the probability you can select a better player but success and failure in drafting isn't a pure probability equation. The pick number is only half the equation. The selection is the other, more important half.

Yep, like picking Cripps with 13 :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s a few “ifs” coming up but anyhaw here goes:

If current-day Stocker were pick 5 or 6 in this year’s draft and Crows got pick 3 from us and we pick 10 from them....

3 for 6 & 10 seems about right.

So if we finish the year strongly and the crows stay where they are (or even better.... fall further) we’ve done pretty well out of it and, most importantly, gotten our man.

Yep, like picking Cripps with 13 :D
Which was pure ass given what those recruiters were doing with other picks in those years.
I have way more confidence now we use our draft picks far more wisely with list managers we have making selections.
Although if we have pick 10 or 11 as an example , sense we more likely to use it as trade currency this next post season trading and draft period.
Very happy with the young talent we have on list for last four drafts so this off season looks like the one to mainly use to bring in ready made talent to go to assist the very talented youth we have already.

There’s a few “ifs” coming up but anyhaw here goes:

If current-day Stocker were pick 5 or 6 in this year’s draft
He is not from this years draft though. We've not had to wait a whole another year. We already having a season of him in our system developing and even got some valued senior games experiences. That was what was so super getting another talented young midfielder in last years draft on night one that I never expected to have. We got an extra player in our system that ahead of any kids experiences that going to be drafted a year later, Plus we still able to have the same amount of picks to play with this next draft period anyway by only swapping a future pick of next draft rather than giving up one years draft pick for the next.

Having seen a little of Stocker already I am super excited what he brings to compliment the other gun young mids like Walsh, Samo, Fisher, Dow etc etc.
They've worked on his tank this year and given him some experience in back half to ease him into senior team at same time. That extra young mid to have one year ahead of the next draft batch of youngsters was always the best thing about this deal. The gamble of what the pick swaps for 2019 would be, always less important but has got more focus.

Last edited:
He is not from this years draft though. We've not had to wait a whole another year. We already having a season of him in our system developing and even got some valued senior games experiences. That was what was so super getting another talented young midfielder in last years draft on night one that I never expected to have. We got an extra player in our system that ahead of any kids experiences that going to be drafted a year later, Plus we still able to have the same amount of picks to play with this next draft period anyway by only swapping a future pick of next draft rather than giving up one years draft pick for the next.

Having seen a little of Stocker already I am super excited what he brings to compliment the other gun young mids like Walsh, Samo, Fisher, Dow etc etc.
They've worked on his tank this year and given him some experience in back half to ease him into senior team at same time. That extra young mid to have one year ahead of the next draft batch of youngsters was always the best thing about this deal. The gamble of what the picks swaps for 2019 would be, always less important but has got more focus.

I confess I haven’t read the whole 211 pages, but I concur with the above post and also would like to say the point I’ve never seen mentioned goes something like this.

Our list demographic is an area the club are seeking to address. Rather than dribbling in one 18 year old a year, they have now in the last 3 years bought in 2 top 10 draft pick midfielders (by trade or draft)

2016 SPS and Setterfield
2017 Dow and O’Brien
2018 Walsh and Stocker

Doing this surely accelerates the rebuild?

It has to be remembered that the above is done in the context that the draft is our only lever to recruit talent at the moment. Free Agents aren’t coming to us and players aren’t seeking trades to us (yet).

Something like the Stocker trade is the best chance of accelerating the rebuild. If it works, the future cascading effect is attracting free agents etc, and the retention of the current list.

The contrast in commentary and analysis comes from the media with Geelong and Hawthorn who are “smart” with their trading as they are prepared to “overpay” to get the player they want/need, to keep their list balanced.

The Stocker deal is overpaying on a transactional basis, but given the hand we have, it was a move worth making.

The sliding doors moment might have been if we were awarded a priority pick last season. Suddenly our levers for obtaining quality players move from 1 to 2 (draft and trade pp), (compared with 3 for other clubs FA, draft and trade) maybe the PP could have secured Shiel and doing the Stocker deal may not have been as necessary.

For what it’s worth, Stocker looks like he can play which is a relief.

Last edited:
I confess I haven’t read the whole 211 pages, but the point I’ve never seen mentioned goes something like this.
Same, just browsed once or twice in a few months but will be way more interesting to look at when season is over.

Our list demographic is an area the club are seeking to address. Rather than dribbling in one 18 year old a year, they have now in the last3 years bought in 2 top 10 draft pick midfielders (by trade or draft)

2016 SPS and Setterfield
2017 Dow and O’Brien
2018 Walsh and Stocker

Doing this surely accelerates the rebuild?

It certainly does, hence that is the plan SOS has taught all the others in the club leadership that we were doing and they all have understood that, even during and after a coach being replaced.

But should correct you on 2016 draft. It is really SPS and Fisher. Setterfield is a later trade in a couple of years on, that from same draft pool as Samo and Zac but not had the same games into him yet due to his injury at Giants to overcome.
But the foundation was set in 2015 with the initial hyper acceleration to have 4 early picks in that draft and then Jack as a father-son pick. Weitering, Charlie, McKay and Cuningham. The incredible strike rate from those four draft periods is every one of those important picks looks like going to have long careers with us which is going to make next decade sustained contention aim, super exciting to watch unfold as decade goes on.

It has to be remembered that the above is done in the context that the draft is our only lever to recruit talent at the moment. Free Agents aren’t coming to us and players aren’t seeking trades to us (yet).

Something like the Stocker trade is the best chance of accelerating the rebuild. If it works, the cascading effect is attracting free agents etc, and the retention of the current list.

The contrast in commentary and a analysis comes from the media with Geelong and Hawthorn who are “smart” with their trading as they are prepared to “overpay” to get the player they want/need, to keep their list balanced.

The sliding doors moment might have been if we were awarded a priority pick last season. Suddenly our levers move from 1 to 2 (draft and trade pp), maybe the PP could have secured Shiel and doing the Stocker deal may not have been as necessary.

For what it’s worth, Stocker looks like he can play which is a relief.

The scary part for other clubs will come from 2021 onwards when free agents will be banging down door to get to play with Charlie, Harry, SPS, Walsh, Dow Cunners, Weiters etc etc to taste a gluttony of exciting finals campaigns for the decade of the 2020's.

Same, just browsed once or twice in a few months but will be way more interesting to look at when season is over.

It certainly does, hence that is the plan SOS has taught all the others in the club leadership that we were doing and they all have understood that, even during and after a coach being replaced.

But should correct you on 2016 draft. It is really SPS and Fisher. Setterfield is a later trade in a couple of years on, that from same draft pool as Samo and Zac but not had the same games into him yet due to his injury at Giants to overcome.
But the foundation was set in 2015 with the initial hyper acceleration to have 4 early picks in that draft and then Jack as a father-son pick. Weitering, Charlie, McKay and Cuningham. The incredible strike rate from those four draft periods is every one of those important picks looks like going to have long careers with us which is going to make next decade sustained contention aim, super exciting to watch unfold as decade goes on.

The scary part for other clubs will come from 2021 onwards when free agents will be banging down door to get to play with Charlie, Harry, SPS, Walsh, Dow Cunners, Weiters etc etc to taste a gluttony of exciting finals campaigns for the decade of the 2020's.

Cheers - I was being literal about Setterfield as he was drafted early (5?), so I count that as two top 10 picks to us. Fisher is a bonus!

Oh - and I reckon the last month, Setterfield has started to look like a player. Look out when he gets a couple of decent pre seasons in.

Aren’t picks for top 8 teams calculated on how you go in the finals?

Ie: Richmond finished 7th but went on to win the Grand final so they got Pick 18 not pick 11...

Adelaide have an easy run home and are a very good team so they will make finals. Our pick is a question of how well they do in finals. Right?

Yep, that's pretty much it

Crows will judge Stocker by how many games he will play this year, maybe half a dozen or so, if he comes back from injury and into the seniors. They will enevitably cry that he is a dud. But I think two preseasons into him is the key here, and regular senior appearances next year will show Blues supporters more clearly what we have. For what it's worth, I think we have a ripper with this kid. Love the dual sided kicking, poise and most importantly the aggression.

Cheers - I was being literal about Setterfield as he was drafted early (5?), so I count that as two top 10 picks to us. Fisher is a bonus!

Oh - and I reckon the last month, Setterfield has started to look like a player. Look out when he gets a couple of decent pre seasons in.

The funny thing is, we bid on Setterfield, in that 2016 draft but Giants match it to take him and then we drafted Samo. So if they do not match the bid then, we lose Samo.... Talk about silver lining moment when looking back.

Yeah, Setterfield looks like he will be ok. I not sure if he will catch up with rest but has plenty of time to be a great player for us all, next decade.

Crows have a thread dedicated to establishing just who is responsible for the miscalculation of their list. Well derrrrrrrrrrrrr, we all know the answer to that; SOS.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Some of them are truly cooked...suggesting they ‘tank’ by allowing the suns to win next week so that they go above us on the ladder again and crows are lining up for pick one...haha. Suns would have to absolutely smash them to get their percentage up enough to do so...pathetic straw clutchers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back