Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamboo Harvester

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2018
Shark Bay
AFL Club
Carlton
I had a look at their "Bring Lukosius and Rankine Home " thread for a laugh before....to their credit, not all the posters over there are feral....but there are some that are totally delusional....and some of their fellow posters let them know it!!
Many of them are totally convinced that their (ie our) 1st round pick will be enough to get one of them, likely Rankine because he doesn't look happy...others that our 2019 and their future 1st will be enough to get both....because GCS will never get a better offer for them.
What a load of bullshizen!!
Firstly, do they realise that both of these players are under contract until the end of 2020....so our 1st round pick that they hold won't even come into play. And if by some remote chance one says he wants to leave after their first year, the chances of Tony Cochrane letting them go is 0% regardless of the offer...from any club, not just the Cows.
Secondly, once they come out of contract, do they really think that both players are desperate to get to the Cows? There would be offers coming from every direction, including Port Adelaide, so it wouldn't even be a given they end up at their club anyway.

Jul 12, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sturt, 49ers, Braves
I had a look at their "Bring Lukosius and Rankine Home " thread for a laugh before....to their credit, not all the posters over there are feral....but there are some that are totally delusional....and some of their fellow posters let them know it!!
Many of them are totally convinced that their (ie our) 1st round pick will be enough to get one of them, likely Rankine because he doesn't look happy...others that our 2019 and their future 1st will be enough to get both....because GCS will never get a better offer for them.
Firstly, do they realise that both of these players are under contract until the end of 2020....so our 1st round pick that they hold won't even come into play. And if by some remote chance one says he wants to leave after their first year, the chances of Tony Cochrane letting them go is 0% regardless of the offer...from any club, not just the Cows.
Secondly, once they come out of contract, do they really think that both players are desperate to get to the Cows? There would be offers coming from every direction, including Port Adelaide, so it wouldn't even be a given they end up at their club anyway.

Don't let truth get in the way of the collective minds dream.

ET Sloane Home

Debutant
Nov 25, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well the argument is that both Luko and Rankine are Crows supporters so if they chose to leave the hope is they would select the Crows as the destination they wanted to end up at rather than Port. Contracts don't seem to mean much these days as both our clubs have experienced, us getting Gibbs and you getting McGovern one season after signing a long term deal.
If you then argue that the club can chose who to trade to well that's not really the case anymore either. Once a player nominates who they want to go to 9 times out of 10 they end up there, or they don't get traded at all. Look at Tim Kelly, nominated Eagles and refused to move to Freo even though Cats wanted that so they could get more. Ended up staying and will most likely end up at the Eagles end of this season.
Unfortunately the power is all with the player, not the club. Unlike the NBA where the players have minimal say in where they end up. I remember reading on the deadline day for trades a few weeks ago 2 players got traded to 3 (or maybe 2) teams and then got waived anyway. Crazy!

Oh and no I'm not saying that we will definitely end up with both of them. Just explaining why a lot of the guys think (or more likely hope) we will.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Well the argument is that both Luko and Rankine are Crows supporters so if they chose to leave the hope is they would select the Crows as the destination they wanted to end up at rather than Port.

Tell them Judd was a Melbourne supporter and Lynch and his family were mad Collingwood supporters.

Bamboo Harvester

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2018
Shark Bay
AFL Club
Carlton
Well the argument is that both Luko and Rankine are Crows supporters so if they chose to leave the hope is they would select the Crows as the destination they wanted to end up at rather than Port. Contracts don't seem to mean much these days as both our clubs have experienced, us getting Gibbs and you getting McGovern one season after signing a long term deal.
If you then argue that the club can chose who to trade to well that's not really the case anymore either. Once a player nominates who they want to go to 9 times out of 10 they end up there, or they don't get traded at all. Look at Tim Kelly, nominated Eagles and refused to move to Freo even though Cats wanted that so they could get more. Ended up staying and will most likely end up at the Eagles end of this season.
Unfortunately the power is all with the player, not the club. Unlike the NBA where the players have minimal say in where they end up. I remember reading on the deadline day for trades a few weeks ago 2 players got traded to 3 (or maybe 2) teams and then got waived anyway. Crazy!

Oh and no I'm not saying that we will definitely end up with both of them. Just explaining why a lot of the guys think (or more likely hope) we will.
You bring up some good points....although Shiel was always a Carlton supporter...and the Gun correctly points out Judd was a Demons supporter....so doesn't always work that way. Players rarely end up going to the club that they supported purely for the fact it was the club they supported as a kid.

Agree that players end up going to their club of choice, but in this case, there is little chance that GCS will let them go at the end of their first year still being under contract. Cochrane would put such a ridiculous price on their heads that even your club wouldn't go for. Would you give up two 1st round picks for either one of them, because that's the least he'd be asking.

Jul 12, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sturt, 49ers, Braves

All well and good. Our 1st pick to get one of them is not enough as some are suggesting on your board...you will probably have to lose either another 2nd, 3rd...whatever or a player (a half decent one at least). This will all obviously be determined by how well they go.
And thats to get one of them. You'd be selling the farm for a couple of years to gain them both. Potentially 4 or more high end picks/players.

So … Our mods tolerate you … here …... yet we are not tolerated over there …. seems legit.

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Today is Bryce Gibbs's 30th birthday.
Happy Birthday Bryce.
diy_age_30th_happy_birthday_milestone_wrapping_paper-re9b5552f253a4d9cbee69ddb19af6cb0_zkeh0_8...jpg

BIGGUS 64

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
Greensborough
AFL Club
Carlton
Happy for North & Saints to make way

Keep the big four in Melbourne: Richmond, Carlton, Collingwood and (much as it pains me) *.
Melbourne, well they've got the name, and they were the first club after all, so they can stay. So that's five Melbourne clubs.
Geelong stay in Geelong, that's far enough away I guess.

Norf can go way north and become the Darwin Kangaroos.
The Dogs can be shifted further into the west of Victoria and be the Ballarat Bulldogs, or even the Horsham Hounds.
Those upstarts, Hawthorn can relocate to Tassie, since they've been grooming the Tasmanians for years anyway.
St Kilda can go wherever, who cares? Canberra? New Zealand? King Island? They wouldn't be missed, regardless.

gardiner stand

Premiership Player
Dec 3, 2010
fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton

The debate of wether or not they end up at the Crows is mute because by the time they get there they’ll make no difference to an ageing list with psychological issues.

Vikingblood

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 4, 2012
Catfish City
AFL Club
Adelaide
That’s difference between us and Adelaide. I reckon they’ll be going for port in round 2 despite their hate for the power. I couldn’t give a **** about the pick exchange. I think stocker will be enough. But i bloody hate *.

You'd be wrong. Not aware of a single Crows supporter who would back Port in any match despite the ramifications. You obviously misread the genuine hatred between the two clubs at supporter level.

TooBlue14

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
You'd be wrong. Not aware of a single Crows supporter who would back Port in any match despite the ramifications. You obviously misread the genuine hatred between the two clubs at supporter level.
Let’s just wait and see. I’ll bookmark this for round 2. I bet I’ll find a quote of you and many other Adelaide supporters celebrating if port win. You’ll be even on their board thanking them.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
Its not really hatred. Its a manufactured forced kind of passion is all just like us and Collingwood for instance. You live and work alongside Port supporters and vice versa. If it was genuine hatred you would not be able to co-exist.

Funk

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 6, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Personally I'd be happy for you to post in there. I think team boards are all a bit precious at times and should lighten up. I commend your board on being more tolerant than most though.

As for the bolded comment, I see it the other way around. With the exception of Gold Coast, there's a whole bunch of teams around you at a similar level. We had a year of every conceivable issue, plus external problems. Those are gone and there's no foreseeable reason that we won't be around the the top 4-5.

And so did Carlton - a point seemingly lost on most of your Crow supporting mates.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
Keep the big four in Melbourne: Richmond, Carlton, Collingwood and (much as it pains me) *.
Melbourne, well they've got the name, and they were the first club after all, so they can stay. So that's five Melbourne clubs.
Geelong stay in Geelong, that's far enough away I guess.

Norf can go way north and become the Darwin Kangaroos.
The Dogs can be shifted further into the west of Victoria and be the Ballarat Bulldogs, or even the Horsham Hounds.
Those upstarts, Hawthorn can relocate to Tassie, since they've been grooming the Tasmanians for years anyway.
St Kilda can go wherever, who cares? Canberra? New Zealand? King Island? They wouldn't be missed, regardless.
Why don't we bring back Sth Melbourne and Fitzroy get rid of all the interstate teams and call it the VFL? That way all the Crows supporters can follow there real teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back