Zatoichi Blue

Plays best in the wet
Nov 26, 2016
Tootgarook
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cincinatti Bearcats
Despite Crows grabbing wins of recent times and now sitting third (unbelievable, I know), I am officially looking forward to the next 2 months of death-riding. If they are the real deal, Crows will emerge still in the top 8 having done well through May to July. But I am expecting the mother of all tumbles and Adelaide are sent down, down, down to 12th place.

Rd 9 - Crows lose to Brisbane @ GABBA (after Charlie Cameron dominates with 5)
1557743492965.png

Rd 10 - Crows lose to hungry WC outfit at AO, in a nail-biter
1557743564456.png

Rd 11 - Crows beat injury-depleted Melbourne in Darwin
1557743720748.png

Rd 12 - Crows outclassed by reinvigorated Giants at AO
1557743966380.png

Rd 13 - Crows barely survive crowd ground invasion after losing AGAIN at home to Richmond
1557743376741.png

Rd 14 - Saved by the BYE, but scandal hits as team unity implodes and begin all-out fighting at training
1557744042046.png

Then Rd 15 arrives......Crows lose to Geelong @ Geelong (Dangerfield celebrates with post-goal "Power Stance" after his 5th goal).
Whole of the Crows team forced to drive back to Adelaide when coach cancels flights home, and they begin wondering how the trade deal with Carlton suddenly looks like a mistake.....
1557744412834.png

Looking forward to see what unfolds......

Blutopia

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Despite Crows grabbing wins of recent times and now sitting third (unbelievable, I know), I am officially looking forward to the next 2 months of death-riding. If they are the real deal, Crows will emerge still in the top 8 having done well through May to July. But I am expecting the mother of all tumbles and Adelaide are sent down, down, down to 12th place.

View attachment 673260
View attachment 673261
View attachment 673267
View attachment 673274
Rd 13 - Crows barely survive crowd ground invasion after losing AGAIN at home to Richmond
View attachment 673256
Rd 14 - Saved by the BYE, but scandal hits as team unity implodes and begin all-out fighting at training
View attachment 673276
Then Rd 15 arrives......Crows lose to Geelong @ Geelong (Dangerfield celebrates with post-goal "Power Stance" after his 5th goal).
Whole of the Crows team forced to drive back to Adelaide when coach cancels flights home, and they begin wondering how the trade deal with Carlton suddenly looks like a mistake.....
View attachment 673283

And round 19 - Stocker goes forward and kicks 5 in a rising star nominated performance!

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Strangely enough, another bottom finish could see us get a priority pick or a significant draft concession , maybe more “generous” than last year..
Absolute rubbish.

We were an absolute joke last year, statistically one of the worst teams ever. GWS even took the piss out of us with 16 players on the ground for a brief moment.

If we didn’t get one last year there is absolutely no way we’ll get one this year.

Not calling this trade a failure yet. Way too early for that as I’ve said previously. But gee it is going to be an absolutely shocking look if we’ve traded pick 1 for a player and a late first rounder. Stocker looks like he can play. Maybe he turns into a gun. But pick one rarely nets you a poor footballer. With all the data, footage etc available these days it’s probably harder for clubs to make a terrible decision, particularly with the first *ant pick. If the argument is how many more picks do we need, then think of the trade possibilities with pick 1.

I’m absolutely certain that when SOS made this trade he wasn’t expecting us to be the worst team in the league again and the Crows back up the ladder.

Can we just win some games for *s sake?

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
I think you got that very wrong, it's 2 good player v 1 elite/generation player......I know who I'll choose....
It’s the same argument Dees fans make when they defend trading pick 2 for Tyson and Salem.

They could have found similar players without trading pick 2 which ended up being Josh Kelly. Imagine him running around with Gawn tapping it down to him.

I hope for our sake we don’t end up in a similar situation trading away an elite player for two lesser talents. But if we end up trading pick 1 the probability of us having done so is clearly higher.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
It’s the same argument Dees fans make when they defend trading pick 2 for Tyson and Salem.

They could have found similar players without trading pick 2 which ended up being Josh Kelly. Imagine him running around with Gawn tapping it down to him.

I hope for our sake we don’t end up in a similar situation trading away an elite player for two lesser talents. But if we end up trading pick 1 the probability of us having done so is clearly higher.

Don't think we're going to be short of star power in the future.

I also expect we'll be the beneficiary of a few more highly touted draftees returning home from GWS in the coming seasons.

Our list is shaping nicely and that's all we can ask for as supporters.

BlueTang

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

View attachment 673260
View attachment 673261
View attachment 673267
View attachment 673274
View attachment 673256
View attachment 673276
View attachment 673283

Post of the week!

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Don't think we're going to be short of star power in the future.

I also expect we'll be the beneficiary of a few more highly touted draftees returning home from GWS in the coming seasons.

Our list is shaping nicely and that's all we can ask for as supporters.
It’s not necessarily about being short of stars.

And right now as it currently stands to be writing off maybe trading away pick 1 because we won’t need an extra star in the future is ludicrous. There is no guarantee that we even become a very good side. Does it look like the club has put much more time and effort into getting in the right sort of players to rebuild the club? Yes.

Just look at GWS and all the talent they’ve had. Despite being loaded with talent since 2016 they haven’t won anything. That just shows how hard it is to win flags. In this game you need as much as possible to go right for you.

There are no guarantees in footy.

As I said I just hope we can win some games over the rest of the season and the Crows drop a bit so we’re not even discussing pick 1 being lost.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor

And right now as it currently stands to be writing off maybe trading away pick 1 because we won’t need an extra star in the future is ludicrous. There is no guarantee that we even become a very good side. Does it look like the club has put much more time and effort into getting in the right sort of players to rebuild the club? Yes.

Just look at GWS and all the talent they’ve had. Despite being loaded with talent since 2016 they haven’t won anything. That just shows how hard it is to win flags. In this game you need as much as possible to go right for you.

As I said I just hope we can win some games over the rest of the season and the Crows drop a bit so we’re not even discussing pick 1 being lost.

I think we've got a greater chance of success than GWS did during that period.

We've got a lot more tougher, harder players that are hungry for the contest and bring pressure.

GWS were reliant on skillful outside players playing perfect football during their finals campaigns. As a general rule of thumb, skill level will generally drop off in finals but pressure remains. This was always going to be the challenge for them.

Players like Dow, Setterfield, Stocker, Cripps etc. are all hungry for the contest. I think our side is shaping nicely and will hold up in finals football.

I've been pretty bearish about our prospects in this trade and potentially trading away pick 1 or 2 for a while now, but I can now see us gaining ground on other teams in the back half of the season. I think we can move up the ladder and avoid this being a talking point.

If Kreuzer remains fit for the remainder of the season, we'll push ahead of teams like the Suns, Swans and Saints. I think we've seen in the limited sample size this season that Kreuzer is worth his weight in gold to us.

Still a long way to go. I don't think Adelaide's pick will be as low as what we'd like, but in saying that, their pick might push back a bit too.

Wily trout

All Australian
Apr 19, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton

Agree with pretty much all you have said, but GWS go alright now and they did have something missing and to a degree still do, history and pride in the jumper, being a sort of vacant concept for them being an expansion team . Although living in Canberra can see first hand that it is slowly growing. The Blue boys seem pretty focused and determined as a group and as yet we are not losing players to other clubs like GWS each year.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton

We've got a lot more tougher, harder players that are hungry for the contest and bring pressure.

GWS were reliant on skillful outside players playing perfect football during their finals campaigns. As a general rule of thumb, skill level will generally drop off in finals but pressure remains. This was always going to be the challenge for them.

Players like Dow, Setterfield, Stocker, Cripps etc. are all hungry for the contest. I think our side is shaping nicely and will hold up in finals football.

I've been pretty bearish about our prospects in this trade and potentially trading away pick 1 or 2 for a while now, but I can now see us gaining ground on other teams in the back half of the season. I think we can move up the ladder and avoid this being a talking point.

If Kreuzer remains fit for the remainder of the season, we'll push ahead of teams like the Suns, Swans and Saints. I think we've seen in the limited sample size this season that Kreuzer is worth his weight in gold to us.

Still a long way to go. I don't think Adelaide's pick will be as low as what we'd like, but in saying that, their pick might push back a bit too.
I don’t know how you can say players like Dow, Setterfield and Stocker are anymore hungry for the contest than the majority of there players. As a team they haven’t worked but as individuals they are fine.
For me when compared to other successful sides the only thing they have lacked is good small forwards (even mids) who bring manic pressure. The exact same thing we do.
They also have the exact same problem as us and don’t truly know if they have a really good coach. For us we haven’t had the cattle to work it out and for them it’s the opposite, maybe they are just getting the job done on talent alone.

Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton

You have your Blues coloured glasses on here mate.

Dow, Setterfield, Stocker, Cripps v Kelly, Taranto, Coniglio, Whitfield, Greene, Hooper...

There are plenty of tough inside players in that GWS list.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
As Judd said last night on FC. We done the trade not expecting to be this low and them being so high. Let’s just hope we can get out of the bottom two so Adelaide don’t get their hands on the one of the two guns

ajb72

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton

View attachment 673260
View attachment 673261
View attachment 673267
View attachment 673274
View attachment 673256
View attachment 673276
View attachment 673283

Should be a royal commision into why the crows get an armchair ride with the fixture every year.

Every decent team, they get the advantage of playing at home.

CrowinPerth

Debutant
Jul 18, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Stats? What stats? You just guess, or go on a feel

How about these stats?

1557791400255.png

Additionally;

No pick 1 to 5 has ever failed to play a game and only 4 of 80 has ever played less than 10 games
3 picks between 6 - 10 have failed to ever play a game whilst 67 of these 80 have played 10+ games
Between 11-30, about 1 in every 12 never plays a game whilst 1 in 5 never makes it to 10 games
As you can imagine the numbers fall off significantly after this.......

There reality is the drop off after 5 is where the cliff seems be - and this is to say that who's right or wrong, theres still a long way to go not only in this season but in the careers of the guys involved. Stocker may become a gun, Crows could easily sh*t the bed from here or a few close Blues results could land the other way. But all that being said, dont pretend there isnt stats to back up his point

Last edited:

70lethal

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Don't kid yourself mate i don't think we will ever agree, if you told me it was Monday i would tell you it's Sunday somewhere. I stated 2015 because that's when we started the rebuild, but i'm sure you knew that.
No I just thought you picked 2015 because before that you consistently stank it up apart from Cripps.
Fortunately we can disagree but the ladder is clearly determining whose been wrong all along.
Imagine if we didn't help you with all those trades SOS flogged Reid in how bad you would be.

It's a pity we only get to play you in Adelaide every 3rd year. Oh Vic teams don,t get look after.

Blutopia

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I think that pretty much backs up what I have been saying. If you get pick 1 or 2 then it’s hard to miss. But between pick 3 and 20, the difference is not significant on average.
I don’t think you will end up with 1 or 2 this year. I think we are playing good enough footy to win a few games and leap frog Suns, Saints, Swans and North.
But if we finish bottom two, then you probably win the deal - but wait til then to start your crowing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back