Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
I swear to god if this happens Iโ€™m flying to Adelaide to watch the melts in person ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
You wont find them, i was over there not long ago and searched every cave in the Adelaide hills. I couldn't find any of them, but there was one cave that had a door that was secured with a chain and had a sign that said NO OPPOSITION SUPPORTERS. Maybe they were in there.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
I'm not fussed about the trade - it is what it is.....For those however who jump down the throats of those who think we've messed up...I'm pretty sure if we were in Adelaide's shoes there would be a vast number gloating how we pulled their pants down - not convinced we would be using the "wait for 4 years" argument.
Why? It's the only way to work it all out, don't worry what the Adelaide nuffys are saying.

Jun 19, 2018
frankston station
AFL Club
Carlton
Timing is everything. They released this request just before the Suns Vs Crows game strategically. A game we desperately need to win and will likely win too the tune of 10 goals+.

Now if we belt them we further validate their argument and risk losing one of the top echelon prospects too this bulls__t claim, and if we donโ€™t we risk falling out of the top 8.

What a bunch of Pricks!
here come the conspiracies :joycat::joycat::joycat::joycat:

Wily trout

All Australian
Apr 19, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Realistically though, if Suns got picks 1 & 2, and we finished 17th, would we even be considered for a PP? AFL showed last year the Suns were more important to them when we got 'assistance' in the form of two state league players and they got three (even though they finished higher than us) ๐Ÿ˜ณ AFL would claim that we missed out on an early pick through our own fault. However, I would get a T-shirt printed of Whatelys face, when he enevitably whinges about it publically, if we did get pick 3. Would be almost as good as Adelaides reaction.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Realistically though, if Suns got picks 1 & 2, and we finished 17th, would we even be considered for a PP? AFL showed last year the Suns were more important to them when we got 'assistance' in the form of two state league players and they got three (even though they finished higher than us) ๐Ÿ˜ณ AFL would claim that we missed out on an early pick through our own fault. However, I would get a T-shirt printed of Whatelys face, when he enevitably whinges about it publically, if we did get pick 3. Would be almost as good as Adelaides reaction.

We've shown enough this year, there's no need for a priority pick. The pieces are all there, we just need a little more maturity across the board (ie. time) and a coach(ing team) who can get the players to rock up for four quarters each week.

Gold Coast, on the other hand, especially if they lose a few more players (which you'd have to think is likely), are still well off the pace. The problem for them is that they're always going to struggle to attract any notable players. For every one they bring in, they lose 3 or 4. The draft is about the only place they can recruit on talent alone, because the players don't have a choice where they go - even then, they only get to keep them for 2 years if the player really wants out. The AFL is going to keep padding their list out with mature age supplementary picks (the 20+ year old blokes who will go anywhere for a chance) and high draft picks, in the hopes that the Suns can drag themselves far enough off the bottom of the ladder that their players start to think "Maybe we can actually do alright here".

BlueView

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I dont think it should be a subjective decision. So the AFL deems Carltonโ€™s list to have have more โ€œpotentialโ€ than the Gold Coast list. Who at the AFL will be making that decision? What if they are wrong? Thereโ€™s a chance that we are all wrong and Gold Coast have a better list? They did just bring in three elite talents in last years draft

Priority pick should be purely based on results imo .

They need to find another solution for the retention issue

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
I dont think it should be a subjective decision. So the AFL deems Carltonโ€™s list to have have more โ€œpotentialโ€ than the Gold Coast list. Who at the AFL will be making that decision? What if they are wrong? Thereโ€™s a chance that we are all wrong and Gold Coast have a better list? They did just bring in three elite talents in last years draft

Problem is, if you put a hard and fast set of parameters on it, then clubs can manipulate it. Melbourne have a poor year? OK, may as well play some kids in the last few rounds and make sure they get the extra pick.

I also think the move to provide additional mature age pre-selections was a good one. Ticks a few boxes, providing opportunity for some fairly deserving state league players, and gets some grateful players with mature bodies onto the lists that most need mature bodies who aren't likely to request immediate trades, and it doesn't compromise the national draft.

And yeah, I reckon the AFL were right to give Gold Coast an extra selection, even though they finished above us last year. It may not seem fair, but the Suns are in a very precarious position, and the longer they languish the longer the competition as a whole suffers while the AFL keep sinking in money to keep them afloat.

We, on the other hand, are pulling in plenty of memberships, solid crowd numbers, we're attracting reasonable standard players from other clubs, we're not losing players in droves, and our on-field performances are (with a small number of notable exceptions) at least somewhat competitive. We "feel" close, and when we choose to play we look capable of matching most sides - we're just not "playing" the full four quarters.

We've had 4 losing margins greater than 20 points (33, 41, 58, 93).
West Coast have also had four losing margins greater than 20 points (42, 44, 45, 58).
Gold Coast have had nine (23, 27, 27, 38, 42, 49, 73, 83, 92).

The Suns simply aren't competitive unless their opposition just fails to rock up on the day (they beat us and Freo by a collective 5 points, and lost close games to St Kilda, Melbourne and the Dog's, all of whom were playing terribly). It's pretty clear that they're in desperate need of support if the club is going to continue to exist.

Whether it should or not is a different matter, and probably a discussion for another time and place.

RE: Priority pick - happy to ask for something, but don't expect us to get it and don't really think we need it.

Keyza

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
If were to receive a PP it would be pick 2.
PP's are before the first round.

agro

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Including season 2015 right up until now (round 15) Gold Coast have actually won one more game than us.

And if you take out the Gold Coasts first two seasons (in their initial start up phase) they have still won one more game than us.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
Including season 2015 right up until now (round 15) Gold Coast have actually won one more game than us.

And if you take out the Gold Coasts first two seasons (in their initial start up phase) they have still won one more game than us.
But we can all see that we are probably top 4 next year.(You don't know if i'm serious do you?)

Jun 19, 2018
frankston station
AFL Club
Carlton

from the welcome to adelaide crows post on facebook re bryce gibbs

think we are dealing with a Nostradamus here

May 1, 2002
AFL Club
Carlton
After how they have treated us, and not that I want one, but if the AFL are even contemplating of giving GCS a priority, I hope we do a full McGuire ...... it would be the biggest flowering corrupt move ever, and that is saying something over these past 2 decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back