Pick Swap Completed

Remove this Banner Ad

If Adelaide decided to bid their current #23 which likely to be #25 once the academy picks are settled we would need to match 559 points

If the draft order slides by two picks after the first round we will have:
#12 = 1268
#16 = 1067
#18 = 985
#54 = 220
#57 = 182
#68 = 59
#69 = 49
#70 = 39
#74 = 0

If the draft slips by two picks the sum of our picks outside of the three first rounders is 549 points and if the figures above are correct we would have to use all other than the #74 pick to match a #25 bid by Adelaide assuming of course they bid for Mead. Even then we would have a small points deficit in 2020.

It just seems to me that we need another deal to get us a second or third round pick and advance us in the first round of the Draft. This would allow us to pick Mead, two first round picks and have a couple of third round picks up our sleeve.

An alternative is to use the #18 pick which could well fall to a #20 on Mead then take the surplus into the Draft. Again I assume that the AFL would apply something they are not good at- logic, and credit the surplus 353 points to one of our lower picks thus advancing us up the order.

Yet another option is to carry an even larger points deficit into 2020 but if we are going to be using picks on Schofield and Jones that may not be feasible as we will need all the points we can get.

I hope there is something I am missing in all of this and some one can show me another alternative or where I am mistaken.

There are numerous other scenarios where our picks move up the order too, like GWS having to match a green bid with their later picks. This would shuffle our late picks a few spots forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes we have. We have matched the Crows #23 bid with the #18 pick.

We have over matched just as the Sydney Swans did in the example provided by the AFL and have 'points left over' to use their terminology.

I am not advocating we use #18 on Mead do but if we used the #18 bid we would finish with Jackson Mead and the #45 pick. We do not lose a spot in the draft but we slip from #18 to #45.

How can we match a bid at 23 with 18? This makes no sense.

Just take one god damn second to think about how a draft works and approach this logically.

Gold Coast takes pick 1 and 2. Melbourne take pick 3. GWS take pick 4, and so on. Eventually at the end of the first round, Port use pick 18. Let's say we use it on Kysaiah Pickett for argument's sake.

Four more picks go ahead, and the Crows are on the clock with 23. According to your hypothetical, the Crows put a bid on Mead. So how exactly do you propose that we would match that bid with pick 18? A pick that we already used five picks ago? Do you think that we'd have to give Pickett back?

That's not how it works. After we've picked someone with pick 18, pick 18 is gone. It's done. It can't be traded. It can't be used to match a bid even if we wanted it to. Which in that scenario we absolutely would not want to do, because we could just match the bid with a bunch of late picks instead.

There are parts of the draft bidding process that are complex. This isn't one of them. This is just basic counting. 18 comes before 23.

This has to be trolling. Surely...

After we've picked someone with pick 18, pick 18 is gone. It's done. It can't be traded. It can't be used to match a bid even if we wanted it to.
It is no more. It has ceased to be. It's shuffled off its mortal coil. It is an ex-pick.

Last edited:
Ok, your post just said that he could become a rookie, but if this is true, then he must be put on our main list, he can't become a rookie. However there's no evidence of this at the moment, and Parker himself has said we would take him as a rookie, which means we haven't. So there's a lot of mixed messages. Such as this article....

If he is nominated he will join the main list. If he is only going to be nominated for the rookie draft, then we can't match national draft bids, but will get him automatically if no one selects him in the draft.
We are hoping no one bids for him in the main draft. If no one bids, he is automatically a rookie.

Go to the link I posted and read how the AFL says it works because that is what I am following.

The fundamental flaw in your logic is that pick 18 will have already been used when the crows pick at 23. We can’t get it back.

I don’t think that happens anymore. They should just be on the primary list now.

In that case they should rewrite the published rule that I was reading.

We are hoping no one bids for him in the main draft. If no one bids, he is automatically a rookie.
You're missing the point.

You are saying that if Burgoyne is bid on in the national draft we will match, if he is not bid on then we will rookie him.

I'm saying that the way the rules are written at the moment, that cant happen.

If we nominate him for the national draft even if no one bids, we must MAIN list him with our final pick. But if someone bids we have the option to match.

If we don't nominate him for the national draft, and he is not selected in the main draft, we can rookie list him immediately, BUT we can NOT match a bid for him in the national draft.

The question at the moment is, are the AFL rules correct, or is there some unwritten wriggle room.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will match with 52, 55 and 66 which will be a bit earlier after GWS, Freo and Hawthorn lose later picks. With the discount, the deficit will be negligible.
Picking Mead at 18 makes no sense.

What would be the pick in which we secure Mead for good? 52/55/66 is 533, equivalent to pick 35. However, there is the discount.

Before that pick, we will not match for Mead; only after. After that, the only thing that matters is a team actually picking Mead forcing us to match the points.

What are the odds for no team picking Mead, and he sliding to 52?

Picking Mead at 18 makes no sense.

What would be the pick in which we secure Mead for good? 52/55/66 is 533, equivalent to pick 35. However, there is the discount.

Before that pick, we will not match for Mead; only after. After that, the only thing that matters is a team actually picking Mead forcing us to match the points.

What are the odds for no team picking Mead, and he sliding to 52?

We will get him no matter where he is picked after 18. We will go into deficit in the 2020 draft at the equivalent pick round, depending where the bid comes.

Go to the link I posted and read how the AFL says it works because that is what I am following.
Then you really haven't understood what you've read.

Here's the thing, bidding is clubs saying thats what they rate the player as. Bidding in the AFL is a club deciding that they will draft another club's father-son or Academy player in the draft. Its not something that occurs before the draft and then picks get changed.

Melbourne bidding on Tom Green with pick 5 means that on draft day, after Gold Coast has taken Rowell and Anderson with pick 1 and 2, Melbourne with their third pick in the draft then says, we select Tom Green. GWS then use their existing, unused draft picks to pay the points cost to match a 'bid' on Green at 3.

Then you really haven't understood what you've read.

Here's the thing, bidding is clubs saying thats what they rate the player as. Bidding in the AFL is a club deciding that they will draft another club's father-son or Academy player in the draft. Its not something that occurs before the draft and then picks get changed.

Melbourne bidding on Tom Green with pick 5 means that on draft day, after Gold Coast has taken Rowell and Anderson with pick 1 and 2, Melbourne with their third pick in the draft then says, we select Tom Green. GWS then use their existing, unused draft picks to pay the points cost to match a 'bid' on Green at 3.

Thanks for correcting my error but if you scan back over the posts and you will find I conceded the point you make over 24hours ago. At 3.54 yesterday on page 22 of this thread to be exact.

Last edited:
So, we have now officially lost our last three picks for draft night. This trade changed our numbers to have two extra picks. We also lost 200 points straight up by trading 29 for the two later picks. We also swapped next year's first for pick 16 in a draft which lacks kpp.

Wtf were we thinking?

We must be live trading?

So, we have now officially lost our last three picks for draft night. This trade changed our numbers to have two extra picks. We also lost 200 points straight up by trading 29 for the two later picks. We also swapped next year's first for pick 16 in a draft which lacks kpp.

Wtf were we thinking?

We must be live trading?
I can't believe we have to give back our selection at 18 cos of the fargin crows ...
Sorry, have I missed something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back