Traded Pick swap: Gold Coast trade #27 to Geelong for a 2021 R3 pick (Melb)

Remove this Banner Ad

On talent alone that deal was a massive loss, but there were intangible benefits to the Suns
Give me a spell. The imbalance was real and obvious. It wasn't balanced out by "intangibles".

finally, here was a player who actually wanted to be there and could start changing the narrative of everyone fleeing the Suns.
The narrative? What is that? Are we living in season 3 of an HBO drama?

A trade is justified or unjustified because of its components. Not because of "intangibles" or "the narrative".

It seems WC don't rate this year's draft at all.
Seems foolhardy when there are at least a couple of WA kids likely to be floating around in the late 20s. And WC have a grand total of two midfielders under 25 on the list. Might want to pull the trigger on that.

I also have a pecking order of clubs in terms of whether it will be easy to poach WA draftees after two or three years. Suns or Giants preferred. Demons, Swans, Kangaroos, even SA clubs OK. Geelong not so much.

Last edited:
Seems foolhardy when there are at least a couple of WA kids likely to be floating around in the late 20s. And WC have a grand total of two midfielders under 25 on the list. Might want to pull the trigger on that.
If there is someone we really rate, we have the currency to buy back in. I don't mind it, wait and see. Go from there.

If there is someone we really rate, we have the currency to buy back in. I don't mind it, wait and see. Go from there.
Not sure other clubs will be as generous as the Suns in this deal.

The pick that now looks most gettable is the Giants' pick 26, which is their fifth overall. Not sure how many picks they plan to take.

Or it's simply a case of the Suns having their lunch money stolen again.
So you really think the trade is that imbalanced?

I don't claim to be a draft nut but my interpretation of this one reading what others have put forward is that given the circumstances the clear view of the talent runs out around pick 30. Next year that will be in the late 40s or early 50s more likely which is where this will land.

Looks more like gcs turning a pick they won't use into a pick they will at about the same level of player

I think it’s insane to assume that GC didn’t see if other clubs were willing to offer more.

Carlton traded pick 48 & a future third for a pick 4 picks later... The pick before it got traded yesterday for a three pick downgrade and 52.

Last edited:
So you really think the trade is that imbalanced?
Well, now that you put it in question form, I guess not.

I don't claim to be a draft nut but my interpretation of this one reading what others have put forward is that given the circumstances the clear view of the talent runs out around pick 30. Next year that will be in the late 40s or early 50s more likely which is where this will land.

Looks more like gcs turning a pick they won't use into a pick they will at about the same level of player
"The talent runs out."

As if it's a tap that gets turned off.

If the Suns won't use that pick, they should trade it. The downgrade is still generous.

I also have a pecking order of clubs in terms of whether it will be easy to poach WA draftees after two or three years. Suns or Giants preferred. Demons, Swans, Kangaroos, even SA clubs OK. Geelong not so much.

You can still trade back in on the night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess it shows how little people value this draft beyond a certain point.

True but the one thing about this draft is how wildly different teams will rate talent, because of that I guarantee there will be draft night trades after pick 27 for more currency.

True but the one thing about this draft is how wildly different teams will rate talent, because of that I guarantee there will be draft night trades after pick 27 for more currency.

Yeah and that makes sense. Teams aren’t willing to risk trading in to the draft without a guarantee of getting what they want.

We have the swans’ future third. We obviously weren’t prepared to trade that for 27. But if someone slides that we like I’m sure we will be willing to trade it for a pick after 27 if the right player is still there.

Give me a spell. The imbalance was real and obvious. It wasn't balanced out by "intangibles".

The narrative? What is that? Are we living in season 3 of an HBO drama?

A trade is justified or unjustified because of its components. Not because of "intangibles" or "the narrative".
You seem unable to understand that teams aren't simply collections of individual talent. Culture, leadership and social bonds all matter to team chemistry. Also, players and player managers follow trends when it comes to staying or leaving clubs. Teams often have ongoing periods of attracting prized recruits or enduring mass exodus. Gold Coast had to get away from the culture of lazy cocaine addicts that they'd previously built up, and trading in Weller helped them do that. Go ask Gold Coast fans how many of them regret the club making that trade.

I just think it proves my point that really pick 27 is access to the 36th best kid in the draft. JUH, B.Campbell, Coleman, L.Jones, Mcinness, Downie, Goulden and then the 2 Gold Coast kids already taken out. Some clubs may even have a few other academy kids inside that 36 (Brand, Eyre, Walker, Western ect)

And when your not going to be using it you have to take a slight deficit with no leverage

Edit: Also wont take long for the wheels to fall off the dees. They had pretty good year from their big 4 starting mid and even Langdon, May went pretty well. Those guys cant give much more output then they did this year. The backline and forward line is pretty decimated hard to see them scoring. Obviousily young talent but still a long way off.

All in my opinion but id have dees close to the spoon as any. Sorry dee fans

Last edited:
I just think it proves my point that really pick 27 is access to the 36th best kid in the draft. JUH, B.Campbell, Coleman, L.Jones, Mcinness, Downie, Goulden and then the 2 Gold Coast kids already taken out. Some clubs may even have a few other academy kids inside that 36 (Brand, Eyre, Walker, Western ect)

And when your not going to be using it you have to take a slight deficit with no leverage

Edit: Also wont take long for the wheels to fall off the dees. They had pretty good year from their big 4 starting mid and even Langdon, May went pretty well. Those guys cant give much more output then they did this year. The backline and forward line is pretty decimated hard to see them scoring. Obviousily young talent but still a long way off.

All in my opinion but id have dees close to the spoon as any. Sorry dee fans
Either that or the 2021 draft is that much stronger than 2020.

Either that or the 2021 draft is that much stronger than 2020.

No doubt a smidge of that but i dont think the difference to access of best kid in given draft will be that much different. There will be some decent talent that slides through the net this year

Melbourne dont look great to me but ive got them wrong before

After looking at this trade closer, it actually seems pretty close. We obviously get the higher pick, but they get a pick in a less speculative draft.

If Melbourne finish mid tier, as most expect, then it'll be Pick 45 at best. With NGA and academy kids this year, our pick 27 will drift out to around Pick 36 or higher - depending on if other academy kids get bid on earlier than expected. That's a maximum 9 pick difference, where the future pick is in a stronger draft.

Not as bad as a lot are making out here

Remove this Banner Ad

Back