Traded GWS trade #6 and future R1 pick (tied to GWS) to Adelaide for #4

Remove this Banner Ad

The irony of complaining that Richmond supporters about concessions from 7 years ago and then in the next sentence complaining about about how the Grand Final is played at the MCG which has happened for the majority of the competitions existence (and long before GWS existed) ;)
Pointing out the ridiculousness of Tigers fans complaining is not irony.

We know we have advantages. Just pointing out that so do most clubs. Especially the Victorians.

You won't find us bringing up the disadvantages unless we get Victorians complaining about academies or start ups.

Pointing out the ridiculousness of Tigers fans complaining is not irony.

We know we have advantages. Just pointing out that so do most clubs. Especially the Victorians.

You won't find us bringing up the disadvantages unless we get Victorians complaining about academies or start ups.

Have a look at the main board? Like 1/3 of all threads are about the advantages Victorian clubs get and how interstate sides are disadvantaged.

No idea why there’s so much moral hysteria. Every other club would be doing the exact same thing in the Giants situation, although the whole points system does have a distinctly AFL Live 2006 vibe about it aka trading a few average commodities for a premo pick.

Is Young the player GWS are rumoured to be keen on? I’m surprised they aren’t right into Kemp given they usually just wait for the highest rated player to fall to them, eg Caldwell last year and Bonar the year before. Flanders is another high upside player they’d usually froth.

GWS could crash next year. Many do after diasterous grand finals. Could be pick 12.

The superdraft dried up at Duursma last year. Stocker looks mediocre and after him the draft falls off a cliff. The Crows were VERY smart to cash out there. They got a lottery ticket for a number one pick.

And now they can pick the player and 6 they would have picked at 4, and get a free first round pick next year. Another lottery ticket. Genius.

It is as good as getting Carlton's second round pick for free this year, all so we didn't bid on Briggs in 2018. Fantastic.
In denial much? You basically traded back to the position you were in before both trades, basically.took a massive risk for nothing.

I'm willing to bet you whatever you like stocker will have a longer career then anyone you draft with GWS pick next year.

Can’t see Flanders getting past Melbourne at 8. Got a feeling he’ll end up in Sydney at 6.

Hope so would suit us. Him or Kemp I’m hoping for, Stephens the other one I’d be happy with

It's not a system, it's just list management strategy. Your club could of traded out a player who doesn't want to be there for a very good return but instead will lose for far less next year. Is this AFL's fault as well or list people at your clubs fault?

We’d have traded Daniher if we could have drafted Green...

In denial much? You basically traded back to the position you were in before both trades, basically.took a massive risk for nothing.

I'm willing to bet you whatever you like stocker will have a longer career then anyone you draft with GWS pick next year.
No actually Carlton took the big risk. Took stocker and at one stage looked like we had swapped pick 12 and stocker or so for pick 1. We dropped off and you guys improved from sacking the coach and the deal ended up not being not as good for us as probably hoped but we had all the upside. It could have netted us one of the top 2 picks and we havent lost anything really as i doubt we would have drafted stocker anyway. Stocker might turn out a gun but obviously the other recruiters disagreed with SOS's assessment of his worth. The same as the GWS deal we have all the upside. It is a free draft pick and probably will be worth say pick 18 but there has to be a 20% chance that GWS drop off and dont make finals and less father son bids are made next year and it ends up say pick 10.

No actually Carlton took the big risk. Took stocker and at one stage looked like we had swapped pick 12 and stocker or so for pick 1. We dropped off and you guys improved from sacking the coach and the deal ended up not being not as good for us as probably hoped but we had all the upside. It could have netted us one of the top 2 picks and we havent lost anything really as i doubt we would have drafted stocker anyway. Stocker might turn out a gun but obviously the other recruiters disagreed with SOS's assessment of his worth. The same as the GWS deal we have all the upside. It is a free draft pick and probably will be worth say pick 18 but there has to be a 20% chance that GWS drop off and dont make finals and less father son bids are made next year and it ends up say pick 10.
You may as well get a Death Riding GWS thread going on your board but if you think The Giants will go backwards next year you're kidding yourself.

You may as well get a Death Riding GWS thread going on your board but if you think The Giants will go backwards next year you're kidding yourself.

Yeh it’s highly unlikely.

Adelaide went backwards naturally because they significantly overachieved in 2017 - GWS already have a strong list, but aren’t losing any players and get Ward back next year. Plus they’ve got a reasonable number of young players on the up in Taranto, Perryman, Caldwell, Taylor, Daniels etc and probably going to add another two elite picks this year.

Next years iteration will be very strong, if not for a nightmare season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The irony of complaining that Richmond supporters about concessions from 7 years ago and then in the next sentence complaining about about how the Grand Final is played at the MCG which has happened for the majority of the competitions existence (and long before GWS existed) ;)

I don’t complain about the fact the finals are at the MCG, it’s the historic home of the AFL but it is a fact your team is distinctly advantages by this and a number of other factors.

Tom Green has as much a tie to our club (that has helped to develop him from a very young age) as he does to a club he has links with via a grandfather.

It’s really only ironic in your head. You guys are still bleating about concessions given over 7 years ago. At the same time you play the majority of your games including the GF at your grand final, have access to father/sons and NGA, get the pick of the fixture times and get to draft from a group where nearly 60% come from Victoria.

So yeah, prognosticating our Academy players that we’ve developed for a number of years are a fait accompli to depart to your club comes across a little arrogant and entitled.
Do the figures.We are one of 4 clubs who share the same ground which so happens to be where the GF is played.Not a decision by us but by those that you should be thankful each payday.
And please don't flatter yourselves that you had anything to do with Greens development.His football development started way before you were even thought of.
As for the F/S,s you,ll get your chance in 15-20yrs time.(Maybe).

I'd happily scrap father/sons. It's a nice gesture to make it easier for a kid to play for his father's club, but I'd happily scrap everything that makes a draft compromised.

I think FS is different. The criteria to make a kid eligible is father plays 100 games at one club, then hope said father has a son, then hope hes also good at football, then wait 20 years for the return on investment. Plus there's romanticism. The amount of FS's coming through each year would also be a pretty small % of draft.

Port have 3 father sons coming up in just the next two years lol
If your gonna complain do it about how the hawks get access to two highly rated city boys next year 🤷‍♂️

Yes I realise that, and that is a 20 year investment/wait and our we were very lucky a lot of our premiership players had boys.

Now we also have some NGA players coming in next few years - its these players I believe should be on the open market.

FS is fine, see above. And yes I know GC and GWS are too young to have FS's come through yet, but so were Port and Freo for the last 20+ years. And Brett Ebert only qualified because Russell played 300+ games in the SANFL.

I don’t complain about the fact the finals are at the MCG, it’s the historic home of the AFL but it is a fact your team is distinctly advantages by this and a number of other factors.

Tom Green has as much a tie to our club (that has helped to develop him from a very young age) as he does to a club he has links with via a grandfather.

If the below isn't complaining about finals at the MCG I'm not sure what is...

It’s really only ironic in your head. You guys are still bleating about concessions given over 7 years ago. At the same time you play the majority of your games including the GF at your grand final, have access to father/sons and NGA, get the pick of the fixture times and get to draft from a group where nearly 60% come from Victoria.

So yeah, prognosticating our Academy players that we’ve developed for a number of years are a fait accompli to depart to your club comes across a little arrogant and entitled.

But this is getting off-topic-- as a GWS supporter who should be accepting that your club is currently fortunate that you've been able to recruit more Academy players on a discount than most clubs have with F/S, NGA, Northern Academies, etc.

Having the ability to match draft picks and get Finalyson, Hopper, Kennedy, Himmelberg, Setterfield, Perryman, Cumming, Briggs, etc. all onto your list & now possibly Green (despite whatever your draft order is) is a huge leg up--- no other club has had the ability to match for that many players within the past 5 years.

In that same time frame Richmond has had ONE F/S player that we've drafted in the National draft-- Patrick Naish. Do you see why other clubs think you're being favoured?

Do the figures.We are one of 4 clubs who share the same ground which so happens to be where the GF is played.Not a decision by us but by those that you should be thankful each payday.
And please don't flatter yourselves that you had anything to do with Greens development.His football development started way before you were even thought of.

I’m really glad you posted this as the arrogance speaks for itself. I’m old enough to know that your club has been a laughing stock of the competition for far greater than its recent success, but enjoy it for now as we will keep these posts for later on.

If the below isn't complaining about finals at the MCG I'm not sure what is...

But this is getting off-topic-- as a GWS supporter who should be accepting that your club is currently fortunate that you've been able to recruit more Academy players on a discount than most clubs have with F/S, NGA, Northern Academies, etc.

Having the ability to match draft picks and get Finalyson, Hopper, Kennedy, Himmelberg, Setterfield, Perryman, Cumming, Briggs, etc. all onto your list & now possibly Green (despite whatever your draft order is) is a huge leg up--- no other club has had the ability to match for that many players within the past 5 years.

In that same time frame Richmond has had ONE F/S eligible player. Do you see why other clubs think you're being favoured?

And here I was thinking Lynch, Caddy and Prestia were drafted by Richmond...

Our initial concessions were generous and our Academy (particularly initially) vast, but the majority of our players are drafted from interstate into a non football state where there is no family and few friends.

We have to overpay all our young draftees to stay which stretches our salary cap and invariably leads to us losing players we’ve developed but cannot keep.

Bleating about our ability to trade up when it’s off the back of losing a continual stream of high end talent is pretty ironic when you have barrier 1 every race.

So unless you play one of the other three you’re at an advantage. That’s pretty common sense.

So there’s 13 other clubs you’ve got the edge on if you face them in the Grand Final, and the Adelaide and GWS grand final games were undoubtably skewed in your favour because of this.

So unless you play one of the other three you’re at an advantage. That’s pretty common sense.

So there’s 13 other clubs you’ve got the edge on if you face them in the Grand Final, and the Adelaide and GWS grand final games were undoubtably skewed in your favour because of this.
So ummm the Giants win over the Vic park pies eh?

I’m really glad you posted this as the arrogance speaks for itself. I’m old enough to know that your club has been a laughing stock of the competition for far greater than its recent success, but enjoy it for now as we will keep these posts for later on.
Later on?
After your next rnd of concessions?

And here I was thinking Lynch, Caddy and Prestia were drafted by Richmond...

Are you seriously comparing how Richmond traded to get Josh Caddy & Dion Prestia in 2016 and then acquired Tom Lynch through the Free Agency system to the leg up that GWS get by having an massive advantage with their Academy draft selections? :think:

This may be the dumbest thing I've ever read on BigFooty.

The process for trading & Free Agency allows all clubs an equal playing field to acquire talent--- where as the Academy/FS draft process is a massive inequality because it gives clubs effectively exclusive access to players. If you can't accept that GWS has been able to assemble a list including Hopper, Finalyson & Himmelberg because of these unfair advantages shows that you are hypocritical and biased as some of these Richmond supporters you're complaining about.

Once again--I'm not asking for the Academies, F/S, NGA, etc. to end, I'm just wanting supporters to acknowledge that they've been gifted the world by the AFL through concessions, changes to the draft and rules for the entirety of their existence.

Carlton believed Stocker would be better then anything they would get at 4-8 this year, they rated him top 6 in last years draft and essentially decided whatever pick they got from Adelaide would be a bonus, there was no risk at all in what they did other then them getting the pick right. Come this years draft, take out the top 3 and you can throw a blanket over the rest so they will end up with the same player at 9 they would have at 4 which makes them correct regardless as Stocker was a free hit.

Adelaide gave up a first round pick to get high in this years draft and have now changed their minds and traded back down to gain back a similar pick they gave up originally, it is a decision made by a list management team that doesn't understand if it is coming or going, simply trading for the sake of appearing to be doing something is my take on it. You probably end up with the same player at 6 as you would have at 4 but that is irrelevant, its about what you get with gws pick next year vs who you would have taken last year with the stocker pick and I can't see a draft matching last years for the next dozen to make that trade worthwhile.

You can always hope GWS fall over but with the talent they have I doubt you will be getting better then pick 15 +aca/fs drop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back