Prediction Pick the 2018 Defence

Pick 7 defenders

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched days replay of the 2nd half of the Pies game last night & Sloane looked good across HB as he looked to shake the tag.

Hopefully we use this stratgey, as well as throwing him forward if he is being taken out of the game.

Not worried Kane. Milera would get owned in the backline because he can't defend an opponent, and he is not physical in any way on the footy field.
But he can defend & can tackle!

I’m picking a starting 6 you banana you cant start 19 players if you’ve ever seen a crows game live

Is it that hard to pick your starting 6 which in general terms is your ideal or best 6 or do you like sitting on the fence

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Thread says “Pick the 2018 Defence” and then Kane’s explanatory post outlines his best seven defenders.

Last season our preferred defence included Brown, Talia, Lever, Smith, Hartigan, Laird and Kelly. If one or more of this group of seven were injured we brought in Otten (for Lever or Hartigan) and later in the season Keath was the preferred replacement for a missing tall defender. Which is these seven were not defenders?

Some teams go with six defenders and rotate midfielders through defence but we are not one of these teams.

Finally, the interchange players are not poorer versions of the starting 22. Jake Kelly often started in the pine but still played similar ToG to the other defenders.

Is Brad Crouch in you midfield Marty?

I’m picking a starting 6 you banana you cant start 19 players if you’ve ever seen a crows game live

Is it that hard to pick your starting 6 which in general terms is your ideal or best 6 or do you like sitting on the fence

Adelaide nearly always use 7 defenders in a game, with 1 on the bench for rotations. Ie. Effectively a defensive unit of 7... hence the poll was for 7 not 6 players. Last year we usually had Talia, Hartigan, Lever, Kelly, Brown, Laird & Smith, with 1 of them on the bench at a point in time.

Gone are the days where you rarely use bench. ;)

Question - is it time to make Sloan a half back gerneral in the vain of Hodge ???

Brown - Harto - Kelly
Laird - Talia - Sloan

I'd back Sloan to intercept more forward thrusts than Lever ever did.....Sloan could still rotate through the middle with Gibbs when needed. This helps with the tagging issue too.

Question - is it time to make Sloan a half back gerneral in the vain of Hodge ???

Brown - Harto - Kelly
Laird - Talia - Sloan

I'd back Sloan to intercept more forward thrusts than Lever ever did.....Sloan could still rotate through the middle with Gibbs when needed. This helps with the tagging issue too.
Not sure of this Sloan bloke, but I would like us to be more flexible at times & use some of our mids like Sloane though HBF... just so we have options to mix it up.

I don't hate that backline.

Hartigan vs Keath is going to be interesting.

Using Gibbs in the backline has some merit, but we have a few players that can fill that role ... whereas Gibbs can bring stuff to our midfield that no-one else can.

I like the idea of Gibbs in the middle with the Crouch brothers ... Sloane moved to half-forward. Gibson takes a wing / swaps into the middle when we need a cooler.

Flexibility is going to be important as always, and I guess this discussion shows what Gibbs brings to that table.
I personally see that HB role as an extension of the middle.

Would not surprise me if we see Hampton, Sloane and Gibbs rotate through there to break tags and give the middle centre bounce a different look. I think each can do the HB role well but differently to Smith.

For me this is the season Knight needs to become a more consistent part of that midfield rotation as well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Does anyone think Lachlan Murphy has a chance of getting games this year.
Trying to choose a back 7 becomes difficult as I feel we are tall heavy. We can keep robbing one area to arrest deficiencies in another, but I feel we need to see if these kids are the remedy.

Brown - Harto - Kelly
Laird - Talia - Sloan

You could be right on Sloane as the year develops, if he can’t work out how to break a tag we could see him there full time

The Thread says “Pick the 2018 Defence” and then Kane’s explanatory post outlines his best seven defenders.

Last season our preferred defence included Brown, Talia, Lever, Smith, Hartigan, Laird and Kelly. If one or more of this group of seven were injured we brought in Otten (for Lever or Hartigan) and later in the season Keath was the preferred replacement for a missing tall defender. Which is these seven were not defenders?

Some teams go with six defenders and rotate midfielders through defence but we are not one of these teams.

Finally, the interchange players are not poorer versions of the starting 22. Jake Kelly often started in the pine but still played similar ToG to the other defenders.

Is Brad Crouch in you midfield Marty?

Like I said I will pick the starting line up on field as it’s the strongest defence we will have at one particular time and that is 6, as far as bcrouch goes my strongest starting mid combination would be mcrouch Sloane Gibbs Jacobs at the centre bounce

Like I said I will pick the starting line up on field as it’s the strongest defence we will have at one particular time and that is 6, as far as bcrouch goes my strongest starting mid combination would be mcrouch Sloane Gibbs Jacobs at the centre bounce

We didn’t have Gibbs last year.

What was our best midfield in 2016?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide nearly always use 7 defenders in a game, with 1 on the bench for rotations. Ie. Effectively a defensive unit of 7... hence the poll was for 7 not 6 players. Last year we usually had Talia, Hartigan, Lever, Kelly, Brown, Laird & Smith, with 1 of them on the bench at a point in time.

Gone are the days where you rarely use bench. ;)
It can't be argued that we didn't play seven defenders. All the players you listed would have averaged over 80% game time and played the majority of the season together. In modern football the bench is used for resting and we clearly have one bench spot reserved for rotating our defenders through.

I personally see that HB role as an extension of the middle.

Would not surprise me if we see Hampton, Sloane and Gibbs rotate through there to break tags and give the middle centre bounce a different look. I think each can do the HB role well but differently to Smith.

For me this is the season Knight needs to become a more consistent part of that midfield rotation as well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I like Sloane in the half-forward role more than the half-back ... he is a better shot for goal than field kick, a vicious tackler, and can take a pack mark.

I agree that there is a grey area in AFL now that means no-one really holds their position - it's more likely that players switch roles fluidly depending on what is going on in the moment.

Gibson is going to interesting, as he brings qualities that we haven't seen for a while. His disposal efficiency good, he is the best runner in the squad, he is hard as nails ... I expect he will be an important player in 2018 but not in defence.

Hampton is the other one I'm curious about. Although lots of posters seem to have him written off on the back of a few games last year before his injury (which I thought were more promising than disappointing - cue the chimes of "but but but the coaches voted him lowly") - I reckon he is a potential we need to realise, unfortunately for hm he is down the pecking order in nearly every available position.

Four young guys I think will change our squad, only one is in defence:

Doedee MUST come into the 22 AND the back 6, if he fails then fine - but he needs to have a chance to shine.

Gallucci MUST come into the 22, he will be a great addition to the forward line and replace Cameron and then some.

Milera MUST come into the 22, he has shown he can play at the level - he needs to find consistency of effort.

Fogarty MUST get a run in the firsts in 2018, he won't play a full season - but he might surprise us and be something special.

Last edited by a moderator:

Do you think there will be more than 1 player that will rotate through there to cover when one of your 6 sit on the pine? Or do you think it will mostly be a 7 player rotation?

I think doedee or Keath will replace lever depending on opposition
Seed in defence for Smith with Gibson on wing due to his superior running power. Milera and hampton also possible in this spot. Maybe even douglas but I'm hoping he'll be squeezed out

Since when have we selected a side dependant upon opposition? Continuity is more important than countering opposition strengths. We'll go with one or the other.

Do you think there will be more than 1 player that will rotate through there to cover when one of your 6 sit on the pine? Or do you think it will mostly be a 7 player rotation?

The team as will be in All modern day footy be changed constantly

But if I’m picking my top 18 I’m not going on guess work so I’ve picked 6 backmen

We can predict Keath or Milera will build on their few games played or hope Hampton can produce consistent results out of the 50 games he’s played or hope Galluci Doedee Fogarty are capable of playing in the big league as we don’t know

Back