Opinion Pick the best defenders since 2010

Pick 7 Defenders

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We have done the polling for the upcoming season, so continue the off-season fun, let's have a go at coming up with our best team of the decade so far (since 2000).

Kick it off with the defenders. My 7:
B: Laird, Rutten, Johncock
HB: Smith, Talia, van Berlo
I: Otten (swingman)

The 4 All-Australians pick themselves imo - Rutten, Talia, Smith & Laird. Stiffy was our best rebounding back pocket. VB gives us the hardness. Otten gives us the flexibility of playing on different size opposition.

Footnote, McLeod I left out as retired in 2010.

Otten and VB? What are you smoking?

B: Lever - Rutten - Johncock
HB: Laird - Talia - Smith
I: Brown
Otten prior to his knee injury was a far more flexible player than Lever. Could play on any size player. You are thinking of the Otten post injury.

VB played some great football across HBF, before moving into the midfield. Could do any job Brown has done, but has a bigger tank.

It's like your footy memory doesn't extend past 5 years. ;)

Otten prior to his knee injury was a far more flexible player than Lever. Could play on any size player. You are thinking of the Otten post injury.

VB played some great football across HBF, before moving into the midfield. Could do any job Brown has done, but has a bigger tank.

Van Berlo was a very limited defender, when he was down there he was a pure half-back that played more like a midfielder. We already have plenty of rebound in the unit with Laird and Smith (far superior players) so Brown adds that small lockdown ability. I'd take Brown over VB as a defender every day of the week, though VB certainly had his attributes as a gut running mid.

Also, from memory, VB played mostly as a second-rotation midfielder from 2010 onward except at the end of his career.

Lever is a better player than Otten ever was. Sorry to say it, Lever plays that third-tall role perfectly, not to say Otten was a bad player pre-injury, but I'd take Lever over him comfortably.

Otten and VB? What are you smoking?

B: Lever - Rutten - Johncock
HB: Laird - Talia - Smith
I: Brown
Rutten and Talia play very similar role, both want to be the deepest defender lining up on a gorilla forward.

I think Talia has the edge.

Therefore replace Rutten with someone who can also chase around a lead-up player like Nick Riewoldt as well as a resting marking midfielder like Danger. Probably Hartigan.

Also I have Doughty clearly ahead of Brown. Think Dogga’s “Young Mick” reputation early days clouded people seeing just how good he became in his later years as a two-way defender and leader.

Agree on other points!

I don't remember the pre injury Otten. Does anybody?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nathan Bocks 13 games in 2010 is better than anything Lever put out,
So I would have him as the 3rd tall defender
I would have
Brown, Rutten, Bock
Liard, Talia, Smith
Reily

Davis is probably not getting enough credit. Are we picking them based on how good they were in their time at the crows only, or how good the player is fullstop?
Based on their time as a Crow.

Talia, Rutten, Bock, Smith, Johncock, Laird

I would also have Macca more of a HB, Macca playing at HB was before his time

Back