Opinion Pick the best midfielders since 2010

Pick 8 Midfielders including a ruckman

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Next installment of picking the best side of this decade. This time the midfield group.

The beginning of the decade started with the retirements of 3/4 Fab 4 - Macca, Goody & Edwards senior. Given they only played 2010, I have left them all out, even though legends of our club.

My midfield picks:

R: Jacobs, Dangerfield, Thompson
C: Sloane, M Crouch, Douglas
I: B Crouch, Vince

Jacobs ahead of Maric for rucking duties. The club champions pick themsleves imo - Thomo (2), Sloane (2), Vince, Dangerfield, Douglas & Mrouch. This leaves B Crouch, hopefully a future club champion taking the final spot.

Next installment of picking the best side of this decade. This time the midfield group.

The beginning of the decade started with the retirements of 3/4 Fab 4 - Macca, Goody & Edwards senior. Given they only played 2010, I have left them all out, even though legends of our club.

My midfield picks:

Jacobs ahead of Maric for rucking duties. The club champions pick themsleves imo - Thomo (2), Sloane (2), Vince, Dangerfield, Douglas & Mrouch. This leaves B Crouch, hopefully a future club champion taking the final spot.
Same for me but Mackay in for Vince for length of time. Vince wasn’t that good in the period required to overtake Mackay.

My midfield picks:

Yep hard to go past that lot...

the criteria of selection since 2010, makes it too confusing. I can't even remember who was playing where back then!
Anyway, if talking about awesomeness and output for the Crows, I pick:
Jacobs (obvious choice)
Dangerfield, Sloane, Thompson, Mcleod, Goodwin, Edwards. (all proven BnF champions and consistent lengthy standout performers for the club)
It's then a battle between the Crouch bros. So MCrouch by just, over his brother. Obviously in 3-4 years time the Crouch bros might be better than some of the names in the above.

the criteria of selection since 2010, makes it too confusing. I can't even remember who was playing where back then!
Jacobs (obvious choice)
Dangerfield, Sloane, Thompson, Mcleod, Goodwin, Edwards. (all proven BnF champions and consistent lengthy standout performers for the club)
It's then a battle between the Crouch bros. So MCrouch by just, over his brother. Obviously in 3-4 years time the Crouch bros might be better than some of the names in the above.
I have given the years they played in the poll to make it easier for you. ;)

Jacobs (obvious choice)
I'm the same - except Douglas instead of Crouch boys. His best was very good. One more like last year and Matt overrtakes him

Is the poll about peak (ie best) or greatest contribution?

I'm the same - except Douglas instead of Crouch boys. His best was very good. One more like last year and Matt overrtakes him

Is the poll about peak (ie best) or greatest contribution?
I would say the poll was set up to be ambiguous. Why 2010 and not since 1991? or since 2000?
And if purely selecting on output since 2010, why bother having options of Edwards, McLeod and Goodwin? That was their final year with us?

Sauce, Goody, Macca, Thompson, M Crouch, Dangerfield, Edwards and Sloane

Vince just missed out, had one super year and some great games but was also very inconsistent throughout his career at AFC

I would say the poll was set up to be ambiguous. Why 2010 and not since 1991? or since 2000?
And if purely selecting on output since 2010, why bother having options of Edwards, McLeod and Goodwin? That was their final year with us?
No, it wasn't set up to be ambiguous. We have polled previous decades, so why not the current one... which we can then update in a few years when complete.

I listed all key players during the years, maximising the selections available to posters.

You really do have a habit of getting your knickers in a twist.

This is just meant to be some fun in off season, rather than creating new threads, when a similar topic already exists. ;)

One Question- are we picking the best Midfielders or the best midfield,
My best midfielders will have Thommo, Danger, Sloane, Goodwin, M Crouch, B Crouch, Douglas, Jacobs.
While my best Midfield would be
Jacobs, Danger, Thommo
Goodwin, B Crouch, Sloane
Edwards, Vince.

Note Hard to put Macca in due to 12 games and only 4 time getting above 20 disposals,
Edwards played 10 games but was over 20 in 7 of them his last game being 32.
Goodwin played 16 with 2 under 20 and 7 games over 25, 36 being his highest. a lot of the time playing on the outside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One Question- are we picking the best Midfielders or the best midfield,
My best midfielders will have Thommo, Danger, Sloane, Goodwin, M Crouch, B Crouch, Douglas, Jacobs.
While my best Midfield would be
Jacobs, Danger, Thommo
Goodwin, B Crouch, Sloane
Edwards, Vince.

Note Hard to put Macca in due to 12 games and only 4 time getting above 20 disposals,
Edwards played 10 games but was over 20 in 7 of them his last game being 32.
Goodwin played 16 with 2 under 20 and 7 games over 25, 36 being his highest. a lot of the time playing on the outside.
Pick the best 8 midfielders, including a ruckman who would be in your best 22 side representing the best of the Crows in the decade so far. Needs to be a balanced side & not all inside midfielders without a ruckman.

No, it wasn't set up to be ambiguous. We have polled previous decades, so why not the current one... which we can then update in a few years when complete.

I listed all key players during the years, maximising the selections available to posters.

You really do have a habit of getting your knickers in a twist.

This is just meant to be some fun in off season, rather than creating new threads, when a similar topic already exists. ;)
I was just stirring a little. :)
Though I do have a point regarding the 2010 retirees as being poll options. It makes it a little confusing.

I was just stirring a little. :)
Though I do have a point regarding the 2010 retirees as being poll options. It makes it a little confusing.
Would you consider Macca, Goody & Edwards amongst our best 20 midfielders for the poll? If not you can always use the other option that I allowed. ;)

Btw, I didn't vote for any of them as have gone for players who would have given us more than a season worth of quality games.

If we're to tank the players in order, would also be an interesting exercise. My 1,2,3 would be Thompson, Sloane, Dangerfield.... after which it gets more difficult.

Back